Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#145301 by KennyC Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 am
He starts by sending a generic "I'm interested" message through the site - just like a genuine buyer:

hello seller am interesting in your hair please let me know the last
asking price if you still have it for sale?

Regards.

Then this:

Okay,
I am still willing to purchase this hair urgently,Hope is still in excellent condition,i really want to purchase it with short period of time and get back to me with your paypal name and email address to send the money immediately.I am going to Add additional $100 to cover the shipping cost via international regular posting delivery to my wife hospital place in Nigeria 23401.await to hear from you soonest so that i can make the payment asap
Thanks,

Note: The offer of overpayment, and the mention of the sick wife.

Then there follows a faked PayPal mail, claiming that your money is being held until you prove that you have paid for shipping.

PayPal
Welcome Send Money Request Money Merchant Tools Auction Tools

You've got new funds!

PayPal. Safe. Simple. Smart.
Use your debit card, credit card or bank account without revealing your number.

Speed through checkout. There's no need to enter your address details.

Send funds to family and friends for free.
Safeguard your account
Keep your PayPal password a secret. Never share it with anyone.

Don’t respond to emails requesting your account information.

Payments by PayPal
Dear Seller,

This email confirms that Mrs David Kelvin has paid you $xxxx.00 USD for your hair through PayPal
Payment Details

Seller's User ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seller Email:
[email protected]
Amount:
$xxxx.00 USD
Postage & Packing:
$100.00 USD
Insurance:
$00,00.00 USD
Total Amount:
$xxxx.00 USD
Important Note:
This PayPal payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will remain PENDING until the shipment tracking number is sent to our customer service for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller.

Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.

1 : Make sure you ship the Hair to the buyer's address below immediately you recieve the approved confirmation.
2 : Make sure the shipment tracking number is been sent to our customer service at ([email protected])

VisaMasterCardAmerican Express Switch and Maestro Visa Delta Visa Electron
Payment Type Master Card
Name on Card David Kelvin
Card Number 5490*********247
Expiry Date mm/yy 21/17
https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=KZAL42RVE3MQS
This credit card transaction has been charged and
the funds will be transfer into your PayPal account
[email protected]
Item Information:

buyandsellhair Headline: 17 inch dark brown hair
buyandsellhair Quantity: 1
buyandsellhair Value: $xxxx.00 USD
Total Amount: $xxxx.00 USD
Shipping Method :USPS poster reguler mail.
Shipping Information:

Julius Amos
56,koworola street
Abule egba
LAGOS STATE
NIGERIA

Address Status: Confirmed

Important Note: We have confirmed and verified the postage address provided by David Kelvin in Nigeria, please send the Hair to the above address.
Yours sincerely,
PayPal Team Support.
PayPal Email ID PP753

Note: The email did NOT originate from PayPal.

PayPal is an online money transfer service and would never use a competing money transfer service to receive a payment.

PayPal does not have an escrow service and does not hold payments for buyer/seller protection.

Then follows more persuasion from the scammer:

I have reposed my confidence in you that you will not disappoint me as this will be my first time of buying something like this online ,I have proceed to PayPal with your payment and payment was made confirmed and successfully .Also i did made a payment of $300 for your hair and extra $100 for the shipping fee via USPS and the total amount made is $400,so i do believe you should have received a payment notification from PayPal which will enable you to believe that i truly made your payment. So i would want you to ship the hair today via poster mail and below is the shipping address :

Julius Amos
56, Kofoworola st
Abule Egba
Lagos
Nigeria

I would await the tracking number back from you .
Thanks.

check your spam mail to get the confirmation from there check very well i did made the payment and it has been deducted from my account please confirm and maybe in your spam and get back to me as soon as you get the payment confirmation.

Regards.

what you mean ? tell me did you get the confirmation? if you dont get it in your inbox you can kindly check your spam mail and get back to me with the tracking number because the money has been deducted from my account.

waiting for the tracking number.
Regards.

Advertisement