Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#148133 by rufi999 Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm
This guy had advertised a Honda Jeep on Gumtree and this is what he wrote.
Dear A***,
I am from Central London, but I was deployed last week in Dhekalia, Cyprus and I think I'll stay here for a while that's why I'm selling it so cheap. I want to find a good home for it, not to forget it in the garage, so this car could be yours.
Being in the Military, I don't have access to a phone for personal business, so we'll talk through e-mails. I will try to reply as soon as I can.

I will use Paypal to sell this car safely since I'm not able to make the sale in person, so I'll propose you a fair deal. We'll use protection from Paypal for both of us at the same time. Let me know if you are ready to buy this car and I will give you more info.
Many thanks!

Sgt. Thomas Neville
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

Then his 2nd email was:

Dear A***
Before I left the country, I got some time to arrange a safe and fast sale through Paypal. I want protection for both of us since I am not able to finalize the deal face to face. This would be the second time when I am using their protection program when I sell something over the internet as I am gone almost all the time.
Also I've moved the car to our Headquarters from Grantham, Lincolnshire because I wanted to keep it in a safe place until I find a buyer and a good home for it and trust me, that's the safest place. Since I work with the Army the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 3 days. The car will be delivered with the owner's manual,2 keys, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me. The V5 doc is already signed by me.
I will not ask you to pay me in advance because this is not fair. I will get back with more info.

Sgt. Thomas Neville
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

His 3rd EmailL:

Let me explain you PayPal's procedure for this type of transactions: you'll have to deposit the payment in a PayPal account managed by their Financial Department and they'll hold the money until you'll receive the car. You don't need a Paypal account because they will enroll you automatically in the Purchase Protection Program.
Another condition was to offer you a 5 days period for inspection, that means you can inspect it at your own place, take it to a mechanic to check it out, drive it, and then if you decide to keep it, you'll confirm to PayPal the sale and they will forward the payment to me. If, by any reason, you will not be satisfied with it (I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked.
I think this is more than fair for both of us. You are not risking any pounds and you'll have the chance to check the car before the final decision. I am sure that you don't need 5 days to make a decision, but I had to accept Paypal's rule.
They are very secure and thanks to them we can still make good deals over the internet.
The payment is refundable and I can't access the money until you get the car, and is just a security measure, to make sure that the buyer is serious, and that I am not going to ship the car, and lose time and money.
I need to provide your details to Paypal so they can open a case for us. They already have my full info,so I need to forward only yours. Please reply with your full name and address, a contact phone # and a shipping address (if different) so I can ask PayPal to open a case! After that, they will contact you to explain all the details regarding the transaction.
I'm looking forward to hear from you.
Regards,
Tom

Sgt. Thomas Neville
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

and his 4th one:

Thank you for providing your details. I will forward them to Paypal immediately after I write this e-mail and I will ask them to start the transaction. they will get in touch with you as soon as they open the case. They will provide you more details about the whole process.
I am not asking you to send the payment directly to my Paypal account because it's not fair. You will deposit the money into a Paypal account managed by their Financial Department.
As soon as they receive the payment from you, they will give me green line to deliver the car to your location. You will have 5 days to inspect it decide if you'd like to keep it or reject it.

Please get back to me as soon as you hear from Paypal.
Best regards,
Tom

Sgt. Thomas Neville
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

After this i got a fake email from Paypal saying I need to make half of the deposit of the agreed price to an agent in london who had also included his bank account details and it was a BARCLAYS account and the name of the agent was Z Mumtaz. I immediately reported this to pay pal and they did confirm that this was spoof. Just letting you guys know so that your aware.
Advertisement

#176051 by MrB66 Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:16 am
Hi,

I think your guy is still at it, this time he's called "Sgt Jack Cahill" :-

He is selling a '56 plate Jaguar XKR with 45k miles on it for only £6,500.00.

His email look just like yours :

1ST EMAIL :

Hello,
The car is still for sale. It's in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects, also the interior is in very good non-smoking condition, never been involved in accidents. HPI clear, full service history.
I am in the Military, I don't have access to a phone for personal business, so we'll have to exchange e-mails.
I was deployed in Gibraltar 3 weeks ago and I think I'll stay here for a while, that's why I've reduced the price to sell it quick.
Also, I want to find a good home for it, not to forget it in the garage for a long time. I will use a third party to sell this car safely since I'm not able to make the sale in person, so I'll propose you a fair deal using protection from Paypal for both of us at the same time.
Let me know if you are interested in a purchase and I will come back with more info.
Cheers,
Jack

Sgt. Jack Cahill
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

MY REPLY WAS :-

Hi,

That sounds ok to me.

Would it be possible for me to view the car please ?

Please can you send me the address details.

Regards,

2ND EMAIL :

Hi again and sorry for the delay,
Before I left the country, I got some time to arrange a safe and fast sale through Paypal. I want protection for both of us since I am not able to finalize the deal face to face. This would be the second time when I am using their protection program when I sell something over the Internet.
Also, I've moved the car to our Army Barracks, Grantham, Lincolnshire because I wanted to keep it in a safe place until I find a buyer and a good home for it and trust me, that's the safest place. Since I work with the Army, the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 3 days. The car will be delivered with the owner's manual,2 keys, service records and the V5 doc signed by me. I will not ask you to pay me in advance. I will get back with more info.

Sgt. Jack Cahill
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

MY REPLY :

Hi Jack,

That's quite convenient actually, my sister lives in Grantham, I could get my brother in law to call round to view the car.
Do you have a contact number for your friend so I can arrange to view the car first please!
Regards,

3RD EMAIL :

PayPal's procedure for this type of transactions works like this: you'll have to deposit the payment into a bank account managed by PayPal Financial Department and they'll hold the money until you'll receive the car. A condition from PayPal was to offer you 5 days for inspection, that means you can inspect it at your own place, take it to a mechanic, drive it, and then if you decide to keep it, you'll confirm the sale to PayPal and they will forward the payment to me. If, by any reason, you will not be satisfied with it, you'll have the chance to reject it and you will get a full refund of your money from Paypal. In this case I will pay to ship back the car from your house.
I think this is more than fair for both of us. You are not risking any pounds and you'll have the chance to check the car before the final decision. I am sure that you don't need 5 days to make a decision, but I had to accept Paypal's rule.
They are very secured, so I will not be able to access your money. Your payment is just a security measure to make sure that the buyer is serious and that I am not going to ship the car for nothing and lose time and money.
I must provide your details to Paypal so they can open a case for us. Please reply with your full name, your shipping address and a contact phone # so I can ask PayPal to open a case! After that, they will contact you to explain all the details regarding the transaction.
I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers,
Jack

Sgt. Jack Cahill
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

4TH EMAIL :

Hi again,
I can't send someone to a Military Base to pick up the car, this is why I want to make this deal through Paypal. In this way both of us are protected. I will not ask you to send me the money directly to my account because it's not fair. I will not ask you for payment in advance, so you'll have to deposit the money into a Paypal Managed account and I will get the money from them only after you get the car and inspect it. Please provide the requested info so I can start the transaction through Paypal.
Cheers,
Jack

Sgt. Jack Cahill
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

This is obviously the same scammer. . . . I should really stop wasting my time on him but I can't help going along with him a bit before I let him I know it's a scam. :lol:
#176057 by TerranceBoyce Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:04 am
Welcome to Scamwarners MrB66.

We are obliged to give the standard health warning that people who 'bait' scammers ought to join our sister site 419eater.com where I'm also a member (you can be a member of both sites). You don't need special technical knowledge, but it's wise to follow some simple rules for your own protection. Also we don't like to 'muddy the water' between baiting and warning as victims can become confused and disturbed if they see some people treating scammers as objects of fun. If a mod rebukes you, it's only to keep the distinction between the two sites clear.

Having said that, scammers who impersonate the armed forces of the USA and UK are always considered to deserve special attention and, as regards baiting, the best result is to discover what bank account they're using to launder funds.

If you don't mind, I'll contact him too. I've always fancied myself with that 'Inspector Morse' look.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#177016 by georgiebear Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:08 pm
It appears these people are also using Autotrader as my cousin found out this week. It was only by chance I fell upon this website the night before nearly handing over £4000. The e mails are exactly the same, only the names and where they have been posted being different - Sgt. Howard Anderson and in Gibralta. Is there anything I can do to try and stop these nasty people?