Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#148617 by xoxocaro Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 am
I put my camera up for sale on craigslist. I got a response at 2:39AM, which had me confused. Anyway, this was my first cl ad so I was excited that some one wanted to buy my camera.

The email asked if the camera was still available and I said yes.

By the way, excuse my grammar. I am 15 and grammar is NOT my strongest point!

He then sent me this email:
Hello,

Thanks for the swift response,as the item is still available, I will send a check to cover the cost of my purchase as am completely satisfied with the "ad".I will need the details of whom & where to mail the Check..It will be delivered by Courier service...

1.Name to be on the check
2.Home address
3.Mobile #

Kindly delete the advert on Craig's List as am totally committed to buying from you and My mover will be coming over for the pick up after you must have received and cashed the check, Also I would have love to call but I'm a deaf, So please send me an email only.

Regards

I asked my parents if they were okay with this and they said yes. I mean it sounds legit, right?
So I proceeded and replied.

He replied the next day at 5:27 AM!!! This made me more skeptical.
The email said:

Hello ,

How are you doing today ? I'm OK with everything, The deal is on as My secretary has posted the payment already but there was a little problem which i guess we can handle with care, I contacted her to confirm if the payment has been mailed out and I was made to understand that it has been sent but instead of the actual amount for the Item She made out the check for $2,500,She claimed that it was what i requested for but she didn't get me right.

The payment has already been posted before I was informed about this and i wouldn't want this to delay the sales so I've rectify this with my Bank and all you have to do once you have the payment is to take it to your Bank, have it cashed and deduct the money for your good plus an additional $100 for the stress I might have put you through during the course of this transaction as well as for your running around.

The excess fund on the payment will then be wired to my mover via Western Union the same day so that they can come for the pick up at your location. I'll be using the excess on the payment to offset the cost of various shipments they've undertaken for me in the past.

Do let me know if i can count on you to have the excess sent to my mover and I must confess to you I really appreciate your patience towards this transaction.

Regards

This is when I had an idea that i was being scammed. I asked him for a tracking number to see where he was from. This is what he replied with:

Hello

Thanks for the understanding,my secretary has posted the payment already.it will be delivered to u on Wednesday

Regards

In the previous emails he had great grammar, and on this recent one it was not so good. Hmmmm?

I decided to look up his email and name on google. His email did not turn up any results, but his name did.
These are the results: https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab= ... 24&bih=513

The results included a link to a deaf dating website. Is this part of the scam?

The email is [email protected]
And his 'name' is Delray Vettlover.

The check has already been sent. What do I do when I receive it? Also, the mover is supposed to pick the camera up that same day. What do i do? I a bit scared to be honest. He has my address and name.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisement

#148680 by jolly_roger Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:00 am
It sounds like a typical overpayment scam. The cheque made out for more than the value of the item is sent. You place it into your account sending the scammer the difference. The money you send by wu to the scammer. Meanwhile the cheque will turn out to be fradulant, leaving you in hot water. The scammer rides off into the sunset laughing all the way. May I suggest you sell mentioned item in your local newspaper classifieds or local notice board. Craigslist is just overflowing with scammers. If the cheque does arrive, write fake on it. You have nothing to be afraid of from a thieving conniving scammer.
Last edited by jolly_roger on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
#148762 by xoxocaro Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:36 pm
Thank you for you response. Do you think the mover will come? Or was he just saying that? That's the bit that worries me the most.
#148770 by TerranceBoyce Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm
He won't come knocking on your door but you'll probably get a counterfeit cheque in the mail, and he'll follow up with threats of the FBI, CIA, the RCMP and Interpol if you don't pay him back the overpayment cash.

Deface or destroy the cheque and ignore his threats, or post them up here for us to mark out of 10. :lol:

You did well to spot it.

No point or sense in flaming him as he'll only try to cause you problems and he has your r/l details. Just be satisfied he's going to be one sad scammer - you punked him. :mrgreen:

To explain the mechanics of the scam. The style of writing is that of someone of African origin which you get to know after a while. By overpaying you by cheque and asking for you to repay part by Western Union you are converting a worthless piece of paper in to cash and sending it to someone anywhere in the world who cannot be traced. It's so common it's why I have a warning in my siggy line. Why can't he pay you by WU ? (answer - the scam doesn't work if he does that :D ). The deaf story covers that his accent will be a dead giveaway that he's in Africa. He will have an associate or stooge in the USA mailing out counterfeit cheques for him, but he won't come near you as counterfeiting cheques is such a serious crime and he won't risk getting caught.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle