Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#149295 by jcecampbell Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm
What do you think about this one?

"Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now but i am not in town at the moment as i am a marine engineer manager and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my dad so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payment asap for it and please if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com/ and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payment...

Email me back

1Paypal id
2 your cell number
3 the price
4 your address

Thanks

--
Still available???"

Dude's email appears as:
Peter Flood <[email protected]>
Advertisement

#149297 by Dotti Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:19 pm
Total scam.

It's truly amazing how many marine engineers with African English are out there trawling Craigslist ads...

His plan is to send you a fake paypal email claiming that payment was made for the item plus shipping. The fake email will tell you that the payment will be released when you send the "extra" to the "shipping agent," usually via western union or moneygram.

In reality, no payment has been made, and any money you send will be your own. The "shipper," who is just a mule for the scammer, would pick up the cash and disappear. Nobody would come for your item, because the scammer's goal was the cash.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#149298 by jcecampbell Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:25 pm
That's what I figured as well. I did not respond this this individual after this email, and had no plans of working with him. Funny how I put "cash only, local area" in the listing and I still get that crap...

Thanks for the reply. I love this site, very good information!