Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#151226 by Kirkmegna Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 am
Hello,

I received a text message regarding my posting on Kijiji asking if it was still available. The number was +1 (646) 389-6179 however it's probably simply created using a program, not an actual hard number tied to an account. I think the important part is the New York area code.

Anyway, they proceeded to feed me the following nonsense:
(1/3)
okay no problem,Actually i want to buy this item for my co-worker as work, who was transferred to western africa and i also want (2/3)the item shipped over to him as a (Birthday day gift) so i will be offering you an additional payment of $200 for the shipping (3/3)using PayPal as our method of payment.You can send me your PayPal money request to my PayPal email address at ([email protected]).

Knowing this was clearly a scam, I directed him to my business website, where he could order online with Paypal directly. His response was:

(1/3)i traveled to new york for a conference meeting that is the reason why i need you to handle the shipping for me.i want it (2/3)shipped out via Canada Post Air Mail International and it will only cost you $60 to ship it out so i want your paypal email address (3/3)so that i can make the payment now okay

I'm sure he'll now change the number, email and his story, but hopefully this helps someone else from being scammed.
Advertisement

#157530 by pountz7 Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm
I want to say a huge thank you for posting this. This person just contacted me about my ad on Kijiji using the exact same text message. It seemed fishy offering me $200.00 more then the asking price so I googled the phone number and your post came up. This person is still using the same phone number and email address that you posted so people beware!
#157538 by began steele Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:47 pm
His maggotness is just too darn bone arse lazy. He can't be bothered to remove the code numbers that are used to slightly alter each message. They often do this >and get wrong dating site< and (1/419) put the wrong rubbish here. They will do, in answer to an ad on > insert wbsite here <, but just >INSERT EXPLETIVE< .

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.