Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#152511 by ren32 Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 am
I replied to an ad on craigslist where a guy was selling concert tickets. We emailed several times and I became suspicious so I did some research and found this site and several others that confirmed this was most likely a scam so fortunatly I didnt go thru with the transaction. I did however give the scammer my phone number. Here is the original he sent me from the address [email protected]

The tickets are still for sale, I am selling all 4 tickets for $700. I am located in Great Falls, MT., I got a promotion at my job and the post is here in Great Falls, MT. that is why I had to move here. I would like to do this deal only trough eBay. In order to start the transaction i will need your full name, eBay id and your phone # . eBay will send you an invoice how to purchase the tickets from me. (You will be sending the money to eBay. After the payment is sent i will send the tickets to you. eBay will release the funds to me ONLY AFTER you will send them the confirmation that you received the tickets and they are real).

I will send the tickets via UPS Overnight.

Kind Regards !
David Coleman

He sent me a very real looking ebay invoice that came to my email inbox but didnt appear anywhere on my ebay account information. Thats when I began researching and backed out of the deal. The fake ebay invoice said only western union was accepted and I was to send it to Stefan Olsen at 21 Herbert Rd in London where it would be "held" until I confirmed I had received the tickets. Is there anything he can do by having my name and phone number? Im assuming he can probably find my address somewhere but everything I've read says these people arent in the US so should I be worried?
Advertisement

#152513 by TerranceBoyce Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:55 am
Nothing at all to worry about ren32.

It's unlikely that he's based in the USA and he doesn't make money by violence or street crime otherwise he wouldn't be operating behind the anonymity of a pc screen.

You may get some phone spam but I've set my cellphone so that anyone not on my contact list is blocked, so that would be an easy problem to deal with.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle