Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#152597 by Jillian Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 pm
This is a scammer who does not have a car to sell. Beware a scammer using the name of Sandra Helland

Scam email #1:
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:07 PM
Subject: 2004 Volvo XC90

Hello,
My name is Sandra, happy to see you are interested in my Volvo XC90. Let me give you a few details about it. Really good shape, never had any problems with it, no scratches or dents, the suv is free of any accidents. The engine runs very good and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. It has only 94,125 miles, 6 Cyl 2.9L engine, AWD, silver exterior and gray interior. The title is legally under my name, clear and free of any liens or loans. The price was reduced at $2,440. Because of my divorce settlement, i own this suv and as a woman i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible (that`s why i`m selling it so cheap).
If you have any other questions, or need more info and photos, please feel free to ask.
Sincerely,
Sandra

To: xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: 2004 Volvo XC90

Hi xxxxxxxxxx,
Here are the pics. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Lincoln, NE for a new start. The suv is already at the shipping company in Lincoln sealed and ready for the shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with eBay Buyer Protection program. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 3 days. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense.
If interested, e-mail me your full name,full address and ph#, and I will forward it to eBay so they can send you more details on how this works.

Best Regards,
Sandra

Scam email #2
To: xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: 2004 Volvo XC90

Hi xxxxxxxxxxx,
I wanted to see if you got the invoice, and how does everything look. If you want to move forward with the transaction, all you have to do is to make the payment to eBay so we can begin the shipping process right away.
Thank you,
Sandra

Scam email #3
The VIN is #YV1CZ91H041106521

Please Note:

A Google search for this VIN shows ads with the Volvo supposedly for sale in Maryland, New York, two different cities in Pennsylvania, and Georgia.

One ad includes this information:
(Not eligible for eBay Buyer Protection)

Information on Auto scammers using Ebay is here: http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/buy/pu ... index.html
Here is the intro warning text on that page, from Ebay:

Alert: Auto scams on Craigslist
eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection covers only certain vehicle transactions that are completed ON eBay.com. If a Craigslist seller "promises" you eBay protection programs, walk away. It is fraudulent. Learn more.
Common warning signs:
A great deal that sounds too good to pass up
Seller can't meet in person because of a number of reasons (i.e., they are a soldier in Iraq or they left the vehicle in a "local shipping company")
Seller claims to have made arrangements with eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection or Finance Centers
Seller requests payment by money wire via Western Union or MoneyGram

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
Advertisement