Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#153469 by dannylennon Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am
So I was after a new camera for myself. I thought a used one if in good enough condition would be wiser as the price obviously drops a lot.

looked on ebay and other sites but decided I liked the look of a Canon 5Dmkii id found on Gumtree at £700. I contacted the seller straight away to see if the camera was still for sale. He told me it was and when I could come and view it (now straight away that was a good sign as obviously it was a sign he had the camera). I told him I lived on the other side of the country and if he could post it. Now I obviously know now thats a silly thing to do. I'm not stupid but had talked to him regarding the camera and had his full address/bank details/name etc. So wasn't like he was an invisible man to me. He had also text me later in the day asking if i 100% wanted the camera as he had another seller closer to his home who could collect which would make it easier for him. Again backing up the statement that everything was legit. The sort code I was given was even linked to the town he had given me, Thetford

I sent him the money over bank transfer and the rest is history. No camera, no Money. My friends contacted him asking if he still had the camera and he replied with 'yes'. The advert has now been taken off gumtree. God knows how many people he scammed with this advert.

He even told me the next day he would be sending me the tracking number for the camera after he returned from work as his partner had sent it.

When I told him I would be calling the police he replied with: 'Try me I have Mr Blackwells card lol'

Details: Name (if it is his name) Charles/Charlie Blackwell
Account Number: 73430219
Sort Code: 20-85-93
Addresses: (could be either or none)

33 Foxglove Road, Thetford, ip242xe
Shelley Way, Thetford, Norfolk IP24, United Kingdom

Ive contacted The police/fraud squad already.
Advertisement

#160854 by daveytodd_1 Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:11 am
Hi Danny,

I have just been scammed by the same person for some Dj equipment. The story is exactly the same with a few minor details different. By any chance do you have any further details I can provide the police?

Surely if both of us have been scammed to the same card Barclays should be able to do something to sort this out?

Thanks in advance,

David
#173434 by Tanuki1100 Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:00 am
The most used bank for scammers in the UK is Barclays, if you are buying an item and the seller request a bank transfer to a Barclays account then the likelyhood that it is a scam is quite high. You should have more correspondance with a seller than just by email.