Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#153893 by jyardeny44 Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:20 pm
i recently got an email from a Sheryl Beckman who wants to buy my items from craigslist. from the email she has sent me it seems legit but from what i have read on the internet, i am unsure at this point. here is the email she sent me,
"Hi,

Good to hear back from you. I am willing to pay your asking price. I will be paying you by money order as its the only way I can pay you at the moment. I would have loved to come take a look but I am presently out of town on an assignment. I will not be back in town soon. I don't mind adding an extra fifty dollars so you can keep it in my favour, Please send me some pictures. I hope it is in good condition. Reply with your full name, cell phone number, and address where payment should be sent.I will let you know how I intend to go about the pick-up. Please take the posting off craigs list today and consider it sold to me.

Expecting to hear from you soon.

Thanks."
Advertisement

#153899 by began steele Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:16 pm
jyardeny44 Yes, confirm it is a scam. The giveaway is the out of town part. $50 dollars more for something not seen and no quibbles. Will lead to a scam/fake transfer of money or excess payment to refund balance.Possibly will tell you it has a shipper and you will get emails and requests to send money by Western Union etc . You may get a fake transfer of cash and it will be overpayment to forward to fake shipper. Once done the transfer of cash will prove to be a fake sooner or later and your fake buyer will be over the far away hills with your money, never to be seen again. At least until someone else arrives here and tells us they are still scamming.
Please add email addresses and other letter texts also. Thanks .

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#153902 by Dotti Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 pm
As Began said, it is a scam.
Lately many of these have been fake transfers, but it looks like this scammer is going the money order route.

I will be paying you by money order as its the only way I can pay you at the moment.

In this scam, the criminal will send you a money order for more than the amount of your item. He will instruct you to deposit the money order and withdraw the "extra" money. You will then be asked to send that "extra" to his "shipper" or "agent" via western union or moneygram (on rare occasion by bank transfer.)
The problem? The money order is fraudulent. If it is a good fake, your bank will cash the money order because it looks real. But then--hours, days, or weeks later--during processing of the money order, the bank will discover it is fraudulent. They will come back at you for the entire cost of the money order, and possibly call the police and have you charged with fraud. Any money you sent to the "shipper" will be lost for good, and you will be left dealing with a big mess.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#153909 by jyardeny44 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 am
well theyre not asking for any money back. they are givin me more money to ensure that i hold on to the tires for them. and i plan on doing the money order through a gas station like 7-11 not a bank
#153910 by jyardeny44 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 am
thank you for all the help. they jst emailed me again and in that email they gave me more proof that it was a scam as i considered all the things i have read online about the scam
#153925 by began steele Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:55 am
Since you say Tyres seems to me a lot of effort they suggest to get something that will end up more than they cost new. I assume they are not new and in UK you would pay a quarter of the value as new. Now one thing for sure is that I would not be going out of my way to do that and offering more money than worth, and then having them transported for even more. It makes no sense if I can visit a local breaker and collect a full set pay cash and that's it, and neither am I ging to drive further than 20 miles to do it. So your buyer is in dreamland. I am sure you would not cash a fake anywhere and if you did you would be caught. You would be a face in a video cam and would be discovered. They video all vehicles entering the site and if you walked you would be a local person. Even in my neck of the woods they run facial recognition technology. If it was a bank at least you could argue it was a scam by a third party, but try explaining that to a petrol station because they will not buy it. That brings up the point of not accepting money from strangers over the internet and then sending money back by Western Union etc. See that mentioned and it is always a scam .

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#153955 by TerranceBoyce Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 am
Scammers have piles of counterfeit cheques, traveller cheques and money orders and, if they could pass them off at banks and retail outlets without getting caught they'd do it themselves, and not use a 'mule' which reduces their profits massively.

If you knowingly involve yourself in passing off counterfeit paper, you will be treated as if you are a counterfeiter and, it's not even dealt with by the FBI in the USA. The Secret Service deal with counterfeit prosecutions. That's why they use mules as the punishments are so severe.

Making any effort to hide your identity is unlikely be successful but will make you very likely to get a prison sentence. As you've undoubtedly touched it with your bare fingers, because it take a very long time for printing ink to dry, it will have your prints indelibly recorded on it. Ever rubbed a dollar note on a piece of white paper ?

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#154385 by impala9669 Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 am
LMFAO! It's all a big scam, I received the exact same email word for word to my Craigslist ad as jyardeny44. This is the 3rd time on one of my listings they try that stunt. Email address of scammer is: sheryl beckman <[email protected]>; Don't bother doing any business with that worthless piece of turd. 8)
#154485 by Jillian Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:05 pm
Welcome impala9669. I'm glad you recognized the scam.

There are lots of accounts of scam attempts via Craigslist by the scammer using the name of Sheryl Beckman/Sherri Becky on this topic at consumercredict.com, here http://www.consumercredit.com/talkingce ... rder-scam/

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners