Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#158409 by abby152 Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:47 pm
Look Familiar!!! What is the purpose of this scam? Wasting time?

Thanks for the mail. Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one,Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for someone and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Second Email:
Thanks for the info. I am glad to inform you that I have made the payment and you ought to have gotten the confirmation from PayPal by now. Kindly check your PayPal email address for the confirmation alert from PayPal and follow the PayPal instructions. But I had a little problem with the mover they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their money for the pick up fee via Western Union money transfer. So I included $1500.00 they charged for the pickup and $100 for the Western Union charges and $18,500.00 for the vehicle. PayPal will instruct you on how to get the money sent to my mover.

The payment has been made and the money has been deducted from my account...Kindly get the shipping fee sent to the name and address below and send the details to PayPal email customer care for your total funds to be credited. I believe that since payment has been made, the advert should be taken off the site and please do let me know your free date and time so that i can give it to my mover to use it to register the date and time they will be coming for the pick up in your location.

Needless to day that there was no payment made...so what's the point?
Advertisement

#158414 by Scott Mitchell Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 pm
abby152, thanks for posting. Having the scammers email address will help warn other victims.

This is a common overpayment scam. The scammer sends payment in excess of the selling price, claiming it is to cover shipping. He will then ask you to wire the overpayment to his shipping agent (or mover in this case) through Western Union. The payment made into your paypal account is fraudulent, and when it bounces, the money will be recalled and you are out whatever money you sent through Western Union.
#158439 by vonpaso xlura Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 am
The payment doesn't actually bounce, as a fake check would — it never arrives. The email supposedly from PayPal is fake. PayPal does not escrow payments waiting for money to be sent to a shipper.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#160436 by CharChar Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm
We just (yesterday) posted our car for sale on the auto trader and received the following email after response. Beware of an email from Elizabeth Murren <[email protected]>.

Reply-To: Elizabeth Murren <[email protected]>

Thanks for the mail. Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one,Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for someone and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Full name:

Firm Price:

Zip code for pickup:
#160440 by Bryon Williams Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:12 pm
Hello CharChar and welcome to Scamwarners,

Yes, it is another scam attempt. Thank you for the script the scammer used and his email address ( [email protected] ).

I hate to say it, but more than likely most of the contacts you will have will be scammers. To be safe. Deal in person in a public place with cash. Note: These scammers will also attempt to send fake checks and money orders.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#160449 by citizen1023445 Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:45 pm
From the same Elizabeth Murren <[email protected]>

Text of the SCAM:
Thank you for getting back to me, can you assure me that I will not be disappointed if I buy this Vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm an Oceanographer and I am presently on a contract which will end in couple of months, the contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area, but I'm able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest payment option isPayPal, its safe fast and secure and I will be responsible for the pay pal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, just log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as my Dad's birthday is fast approaching, am sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it.
I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for media look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks
#160450 by began steele Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 pm
the contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area, but I'm able to access my mail through my laptop

Another example of total un-thought about rubbish. Mobile phones at sea use a different system to land based ones but work just as well. Such a vessel as would have an Oceanographer on board would have state of the art communications and GPS accurate to within millimetres. Strangely enough, using a laptop seems to work perfectly well. He is very good at writing what is total bilge.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#160460 by retrospect Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 pm
I got this today after she told me to email her

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thank
#160880 by retrospect Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 am
Jennifer Jones ([email protected])

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if I buy this vehicle as a birthday gift for my husband? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not in cash because I'm an Oceanographer and I am presently on a contract which will end in a couple of months.Please,kindly send me extra pictures of the vehicle.Sadly I wont be able to call due to the lack of reception on the sea but I will be able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal. it is safe,fast and secure and I will be responsible for the Paypal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with Paypal,its pretty easy to open one just log on to (www.paypal.com) and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible as my husband's birthday is fast approaching and I am sure he will love this vehicle.He is a mechanic and a handy man,so if there is anything that needs to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment gets into your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to read from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Jennifer
#161147 by t3mporary Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:18 pm
I recently posted my vehicle for sale on Craigslist, Autotrader.com and KBB.com. I received a text message to my phone today from number 3153295119 with the following message:

"I am interested in the vehicle you listed on AutoTrader.com Kindly email me at [email protected] for further conversation.Liz"

I just typed the email address directly into Google and found several results with information on this particular scam. I also received another scam email within an hour or so after I posted with the following text message from number 6787857146:

"I'm Lex, How are you doing? I got your advert on http://www.Craigslist.com and i will like to know the present condition of it along with your last price. {2005 Mercury Mountaineer - $9200}"

Typical scam message with poor grammar and obvious tactics. The ad has all the information about the condition of the vehicle and the price he's inquiring about is mentioned in both the ad and his text message.

(I'm not sure about this forum's policy regarding posting numbers even though it belongs to scammers and I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I violated forum rules. However if the point of this website is to make others aware of scams, then identifying the addresses and phone numbers of such persons should be necessary to warn others.)
#162728 by bunbun Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:36 pm
I also received an email from Jennifer Jones ([email protected]) today - 4/16/2013 in response to a car I have for sale. Total scam!! Also received text messages I could not reply to.

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if I buy this vehicle as a birthday gift for my husband? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not in cash because I'm an Oceanographer and I am presently on a contract which will end in a couple of months.Please,kindly send me extra pictures of the vehicle.Sadly I wont be able to call due to the lack of reception on the sea but I will be able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest payment option is PayPal. it is safe,fast and secure and I will be responsible for the Paypal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with Paypal,its pretty easy to open one just log on to (www.paypal.com) and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible as my husband's birthday is fast approaching and I am sure he will love this vehicle.He is a mechanic and a handy man,so if there is anything that needs to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment gets into your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to read from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Jennifer
#164628 by GKnyc Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 am
I posted my car on Auto Trader yesterday. I got a text from the following number: 214-612-3977, and when I responded with an email, I got the email below from the name Paul Wayman, [email protected]. It seemed fishy, so I searched and am glad I came across your post! Here was the email:

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have the extra keys? Do you have the spare tire? Where did you get your car serviced? Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for someone and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man. so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks.
#164630 by TerranceBoyce Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am
Welcome to Scamwarners GKnyc and, as you'll note, the scammer is just sending a template reply to hundreds of sellers every day as he sits in the bar, and he's just hoping for a few people to bite on the hook and his bar bill will be paid for the week.

Most of the scammers don't speak very good English and they copy each other's scripts and they feel that asking lots of questions makes them appear more credible. Whenever they give excuses about why they can't be contacted you can discount them immediately as scammers. If they can't give you a phone number that'll enable you to confirm where they're located and speak to them, then it's not worth dealing with them. Watch out for the UK 44 (0)70 numbers that are frequently used by scammers to pretend to be based in the UK. When you're given one of these you don't need any more evidence.

No one buys second hand items unseen off the internet as presents for anyone. Common sense is your best guide and it's best not to deal with people who aren't local to you.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#164762 by richardhlf Wed May 08, 2013 5:57 am
Here's an e-mail from Adam MacDonells <[email protected]> in reply to an Autotrader ad. Inventive story, but how believable - duh! I asked him to name the ship! No reply.

"Hi,
Thanks for the prompt response and please do consider me as the buyer. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my brother in-law. Though, I am on the sea at the moment as I am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone call making and visiting of website are restricted but I just have to squeezed out time to check this advert and decided to contact you regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise package for brother in-law so I won't let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insisted on PayPal as my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, so I will need you to give me your PayPal email address and your final price as I am really not good at offering so I can make the payment asap for the car. Nevertheless, if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after I have made the payments for the car.

My Regards."