Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#162532 by lzsmith9 Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 pm
Hey guys, i am in a possible scam right now and need your help to see if it is or not. I got a text message 6 days ago about buying my surfboard of Craigslist. I was a little taken aback by the aera code because it was a 424 area code and i am in Raleigh NC. The person said they would proceed in purchasing it, using a payment with a cashiers check. said they would have loved to come see it but their work keeps them to busy, they said they will have reliable movers that will come pick the item up. 4 days later they send me a message and say their secretary dropped the check in the mail but that they must bring something to my notice, she mistakenly put my name on the check that was supposed to be send to the movers and that the check was a bit higher than the item price so without delaying this transaction any longer, kindly proceed by cashing the check, then they will send me the the information of the movers for me to send the remaining balance to so they can come for the pick up. On saturday the check came in and i was taken aback due to the check being so much money, it was 1,400$ more than the surfboard they are buying. i deposted the check that night and he never texted back untill this morning, i woke up to this "Hello ******, i am sorry the late response, kindly deduct your asking price and send the excess funds through Western union Using Money in a Minute services to Recievers name ********* ******** Address ********** ** ********* i wil be waiting to hear with the western union transfer details once you have completed the transfer. thanks"

I was just curious how long it would take the check to deposit so i googled it and i came across something about a western union scam about sending to much money and asking for some sent back. Once i saw this i got pretty freaked out and found this site. Hope you guys can help me and and questions you have about the situation please ask.

thanks.
Advertisement

#162533 by vonpaso xlura Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:56 pm
This is a scam. The check is forged, stolen, or written by someone who thinks he has a payroll job writing checks. Tell your bank that you now know that the check is fake. Do not withdraw any money until they have bounced the check. Do not send anything by Western Union or MoneyGram. Only scammers demand payment by WU or MG.

424 is in southern California, somewhere in or near Los Angeles. Raleigh is 919.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#162534 by Bryon Williams Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 pm
Hello lzsmith9 and welcome to Scamwarners.

100% Scam.

Notify your bank that you deposited the fake or forged check. Inform them that you are a victim of a scam. Show the text messages to the Bank Manager or Fraud Department. Do not withdraw any money on that check. Do not send any money via Western Union.

Cease all communication with the scammer. You can expect him to now threaten you. He will tell you that he is reporting you to the FBI, Law Enforcement or his Lawyer. These are all lies again.

In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your Surf Board. He wants to steal your money.

The scammer will ask the Seller to cash a fake Cashiers Check / Money Order that is for more than the price of the 'item'. He will then ask the Seller to send the over payment to his Fake Shipper / Agent by Western Union or Moneygram to pay for the pickup and shipping.

The check / Money Order will be fake it will look real. Do not deposit or cash it.
Even if your bank tells you that the check/Money Order has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days.

But later, when the check/Money Order goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check/Money Order will be returned and you will be held responsible.

It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check/Money Order to you. The bank also may have you charged with 'Financial Fraud'.

Bryon

ETA: PM sent. Pm Answered.
Moved to Auctions and online selling.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#162560 by Bryon Williams Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 am
@lzsmith9

I know you are busy with what has occurred. I would ask you to post the phone number, text messages he sent you along with the Western Union Money receiver information. Just remove your personal information.

If you do this you will help others. Many possible victims do as you do and search the internet for clues.

Thanks so much.
Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#261536 by tyler Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:58 pm
They're definitely a scam, but the 424 is a legit area code for LA. New... and not very common, but I've had it for years and so has my wife - got assigned it when we registered with Verizon. I just had a seller rip into me for having a 424 area code thinking I was a scammer. So please just go easy on the area code thing. I've bought and sold my whole life on craigslist and seen tons of scammers. They always want to ship stuff, pay with anything but cash, and never talk on the phone. Those are the telling signs - not the area code. I use regular cash and buy everything in person like a normal transaction. Thanks everyone:))
#365173 by Iscammed2 Mon May 21, 2018 2:35 am
‭+1 (424) 279-7028‬

I got a text from the number above requesting for same. Stating too busy to look at the item and will send check and moving company to pick up item.
#368226 by ajl3370 Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:17 pm
Just posted my car for sale and within an hour received a similar message as to what the man selling the surf board received. I immediately thought it was weird and talked to a friend of mine who just sold something on Craigslist. He told me not to respond and said it was a scam. The number I received the text from is 424-322-9138. I did a reverse look up on Spokeo and the name that came up associated with the number is Saint Yung. I'm leery of anyone who wants to purchase something, sight unseen, especially a car, one that is only worth a couple grand and would have to have it hauled from MN to CA. They would be investing way more than the car would ever be worth. I'm glad my internal fraud alarm went off. I hope others are as cautious I. If its sounds too good to be true than it likely is, especially on Craigslist!
#368369 by RI-Guy Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:41 pm
Yep. 424-322-9138 tried to get me with a PayPal scam to buy my car in New England today. I also had a guy with the phone number 917-266-8571 pretending to be "Colonel Anderson" from the 19th Air Force Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas try to buy with a Paypal scam and another guy from 760-474-6368 offer to overnight me a check and send a "pickup agent" to get the car. All common scams.
#376040 by skayty3 Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 pm
I too received text from 424-322-9158 yesterday AM in reference to an item I had posted on Craigslist in Portland, OR. First it was from a Maria, who asked me to email her mother if I still had the item. The email was [email protected]. I emailed her yesterday PM that I still had it. She emailed back a lttle later with an offer to send me a cashier check for an amount of $70 over the price of my item. She said she would wait for it to clear and then get in touch with her movers. She indicated she was very busy (US MARINES). She asked for my address, specifying no PO Box. I emailed her back with asking her to use my paypal account. I then get another text today AM with an offer of $100 over the item price. At this point I am quitting and am going to try to post a warning on Craigslist.