Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#212565 by boats92 Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:44 am
Sorry to resurrect this post, but last year I was also scammed by the person using that email address.

I've just received a call today from a detective constable from New Scotland Yard, he wants me to give a statement which will be done over the phone (because I live in Cornwall, 6 hour drive from London) he tells me he has arrested 4 people relating to this kind of fraud, and believes one of them is the person who opened the bank account that I sent my money to.

Has anyone else received any kind of contact about this?
Advertisement

#212745 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 am
I would be cautious and I'd take steps to identify the caller, perhaps by calling them back at an agreed time, bewaring not to be caught by the trick where the caller doesn't disconnect the line and then pretends to be whoever you're calling.

I do know that the police are actively investigating this fraud from the point of view of it being a large scale organised crime, but it would be wise to make sure you aren't talking to the criminals.

If you like I can even give you a direct contact number to the team involved at New Scotland Yard and I can pass it to you by PM if necessary.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle