Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#266744 by TerranceBoyce Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:47 am
Welcome to Scamwarners KieranYo

You may have noticed that I concentrate on fraudulent adverts on Autotrader UK and probably pick up between 50 and 100 daily, mostly posted by one criminal gang and I report them and post them up here in a rolling thread.

I have no doubt that I don't pick up all fraudulent adverts and it's interesting and useful to see new examples that I may be able to detect in the future. This is a script with which I am familiar.

Of course it's also valuable to warn others who may fall victim to this criminal.

All gangs/individuals have their own characteristics and, if you study them long enough, you get to learn what they are and what to look out for. This scammer doesn't appear to be part of the gang I look out for but I can see that he/they have been operating for a while. They don't look to be quite as smart or professional.

I'll give them some attention.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#266748 by KieranYo Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:17 am
Email update…

Hi Kieran,

I'm not sure if you can visit the TD-Distribution but you will have 10 days for inspection in case you want to close the deal.They will be the 3rd, objective party involved in the transaction. This way you will actually pay for the car after you will receive and test it, because TD-Distributions will hold the funds in an Escrow and release it to me only after you accept and confirm the delivery.

You will have 10 days to test , decide and accept the buy. If you decide to take it you will have to contact them and confirm that, so they can release the money to me. If you won't like it you will have to ship it back to me within the 10 days and they will refund you. The shipping back will be done on my own expense, but I am sure this will not be the case.

If you decide to buy the car,please include the following information in your next email.
-Full Name;
-Shipping Address (postal code,full address)
-Phone Number

Please let me know if you agree the terms from the shipping company website to send the payment in to an Escrow account and receive the car
#266752 by TerranceBoyce Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:42 am
The next step is they will send you a link to a fake website, but they like to check to make sure that you're hooked first, because they know that once they reveal it, the likelihood is that people like SW will arrange to have it deleted.

The final step is where they give you details of the account of a money mule. Unfortunately they have access to hundreds if not thousands of bank accounts for transferring stolen money.

They know that there are 'baiters' who pretend to be victims to uncover the websites and bank accounts they use, so they string the transaction out to try and make sure that you're serious.

It's interesting that though their initial scam format differs from what I am used to seeing, overall it follows the same method of closing out the fraud. either they are 'copy-cats', or there is some central criminal scheme enabling them to collect and distribute stolen money.

It's worrying to think that these gangs operate like leeches and are able to use legitimate websites and banks to perform crimes. It shouldn't be happening.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#281090 by JontyDuMonde Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:51 am
[email protected] popped up on a txt response to an AutoTrader advert which I suspect is a scam:

Tamworth Number (01827) 796173 / 01827796173 (Protected Number) does not answer, but a txt back from SarahHelton stating

"Hi, I am the owner of the Nissan Pathfinder, I can't call you because of my deafness disability, please email me for more info [email protected]"

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/n ... friend_car