Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#171165 by frankiebobankie Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 pm
I posted a camera on CL Boston for sale that should sell for between $900 - $1200. I asked $1400 or best offer.

Here is the communication thus far:

Sally: New or Used...???$$$

Me: It is used. Perhaps I could have spelled that out more clearly in the post. It has about 50,000 actuations on the shutter.

Sally: Am currently in the hospital for a surgery which is gonna take up me 2weeks so i won't be able to meet you up, i will offer you $1450 for the item but do you have a PayPal account..

Me: Why would you offer $1450 when I have asked $1400 or best offer? What hospital are you in? I will gladly meet you there.

Sally: It is because i dont want to stress you i am located in commerce city in Colorado so am at the hospital in colorado so if you are serious in selling me the item kindly send me your PayPal email address so as to make the payment...

Me: I really appreciate that you do not want to stress me. It is interesting that you are shopping for a camera on the Boston Craigslist site if you are in Colorado. I noticed several reasonably priced digital cameras listed in your area - one is the same model I am offering with more accessories included and for a better price. How fortuitous for me that you wish to purchase mine!

I have used Google Checkout to bill my clients for several years, so that is the payment method I prefer. I will, of course, have to add another $50 for shipping and insurance to get it to you. What is a good mailing address for you? Also, please provide the email address you would like me to use for the Google Checkout invoice.

Thanks,

Sally: Alright it is [email protected]

I thought when I said I would bill via Google Checkout 'Sally' would give up. What's her angle? She is offering too much money. I have posted the item on ebay and can get $975 (which I am happy with).

What is Sally's deal? Is this a scam?
Advertisement

#171170 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm
Yes it's a scam and the scammer isn't paying any attention to what you're saying because the scam only works if it's done his way - via Paypal in which case he'll send you too much money with a spoofed Paypal message and ask you to pay the surplus money by Wuxfer to his imaginary shipping collection agent.

He's sending out hundreds of messages daily and couldn't care less about the camera. It's payment of the fake shipping fee that he cares about as that's the cash he'll put in his pocket.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#171175 by TerranceBoyce Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 pm
I don't see anywhere that she's agreed. The scammer will just motor on regardless of what you say, following their script.

You've already mentioned the major points - someone purchasing an object sight unseen, with a back up story to explain why they couldn't view or collect the item, with an offer to pay you extra for you to pay an imaginary shipper. The last point nails it as the buyer could just as easily pay the collection agent as you. The only real money is what you have in your account.

Anything outside you paying them money by Wuxfer doesn't compute in their brains and they work to a script they'll follow no matter what you say.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#171177 by frankiebobankie Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:18 pm
Thank you Terrance. I am accustomed to seeing the overpay scams as a photographer and those seem obvious to me. This is a first as a seller.

The good news is someone 'bought' it on ebay for my $975 set price. I'm just waiting for them to pay. Any red flags there I should watch for?

Thanks again
#171525 by venenous123 Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm
A quick thing you can do is check out the buyer's feedback as well as feedback left for others. Also check out the thread "scammer trying to steal your item". Otherwise just use common sense, from your posts above it sounds like you have it. If you do encounter anything fishy, though, don't be shy about asking a second opinion.