Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#171808 by Bryon Williams Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:54 pm
Craigslist Scammer

Date: July 18, 2013,
To: Me
Subject: Re: Couch

Hello,

Thanks for the response, Am so sorry for not getting back in a timely manner, just that i have been so much busy with work. I also want to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item .I am ready to make instant purchase. My mode of payment would be in Certified Bank Check via Postal service Express mail or by UPS courier service.
I'll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check cashed and have your money in hand , I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible and i promise everything will go smoothly. Kindly get back to me with your full name and address Apt # suite # including your cell phone so i can instruct my financier agent to make out the payment to you .
And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you. i will add an additional $30 so that you can hold it for me till the check reach you.

Best Regard,
Elvis.
805-694-8267
God Bless.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#171814 by NotFooledHa Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 pm
I got the same email! I'm in Seattle. The first email I got read:
"> I am interested in the above item, kindly let me know if you have it available, kindly CC a copy of your response to my work email [email protected]
>
> I will appreciate your response, i will get back to you right away.
>
> Elvis Amber Snr"

Then I got the same email as Byron. I guess I'll be wary of buyers that don't name my item by name... Thanks Byron for posting. That wouldve sucked to have been scammed. Does anyone know what the scammer would've used our info for?
#171815 by Bryon Williams Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 pm
In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your "Item". He wants to steal your money.
The scammer will ask the Seller to cash a fake Cashiers Check / Money Order / Certified Check that is for more than the price of the 'item'. He will then ask the Seller to send the over payment to his Fake Shipper / Agent by Western Union or Moneygram to pay for the pickup and shipping.

The check / Money Order will be fake it will look real. Do not deposit or cash it.
Even if your bank tells you that the check/Money Order has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days.

But later, when the check/Money Order goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check/Money Order will be returned and you will be held responsible.

It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check/Money Order to you. The bank also may have you charged with 'Financial Fraud'.

This same scam can be done with Fake Paypal Payments. The scammer will send you an email pretending to be from PayPal with Payment Made. He will then tell you to pay the mover / shipper / agent via Western Union or Money Gram. If you send money by this method. You will never see it again.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#171875 by Bryon Williams Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:04 pm
This scammer is using a service to hide their IP address. Normal people and businesses do not pay a service to hide their location. The phone number the scammer is using is a VOIP which can be answered/outbound calls made anywhere in the world with internet service.

Elvis Amber
[email protected]

Hello Xxxxxxx,
Thanks for your willingness to sell the item to me. As i promised your payment will be mailed first thing in the morning . I will need you to hold the package on my behalf till for some days .The payment will arrive soon. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the movers/pick up money will be included in your payment and you will be helping me to remit it to them to avoid delay and to enable movers to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after check has been cashed,As i have other
properties to be moved alongside with yours. I will want you to remove the item from the Advert on Craigslist so that i can be assure that the item will be sold to me. The check will be payable to the name you gave me, let me know if that is correct : ?
Best Regard,
Elvis.
God Bless.

#172858 by Bryon Williams Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:00 pm
Elvis Amber
THOMAS MAGGARD
[email protected]

Originating IP: 41.71.177.139
Originating ISP: Visafone
City: Lagos
Country of Origin: Nigeria

Hi

Thanks for your total patience towards this transaction so far. Well, am emailing to confirm the delivery of the payment being sent to you couple of days ago, it would be delivered to you today via Postal service express mail.
The balance of the funds on the check is meant to cover the cost of shipment for the item bought from you alongside my other properties bought within the state including tax and insurance plus the movers fee which i already explained to you in our previous email you can go over them again and you get a better understanding.
Do let me know your schedule for the week regarding pickup as i have some other properties to be moved alongside the item. Deduct your money for the item as agreed and deduct the Extra $30 for the holding the item, then withdraw the balance and wire it through your nearest Western Union outlet to the movers coordinator headquarter in OROVILLE , CA. so as soon as the transfer is sent they will be contacting their local branch to arrange for the pick up at your door step.

So below is the movers coordinator information provided by them to send the funds to through western union

Receivers 's Name; THOMAS MAGGARD .

CITY: OROVILLE

STATE: CA

ZIP CODE: 95965

Note; You are to deduct the sending charges for a Minute Service from the balance before sending and not from your money

And you will need to get back to me immediately with the follow Western union transfer details as soon as you get the transfer done

1) THE M T C N # ( MONEY TRANSFER CONTROL NUMBER)
2) Total Amount Sent after deducting the western union charges for a minute service
3) And Exact Senders name and address used at western union when filling the western union form

So I will be waiting for the above western union transfer details as soon as its being sent in order for me to forward it to the pick up Coordinator and they will be giving you a call to discuss with you the best time to come for the pick up.

I will be waiting to read from you as soon as possible
Best Regard,
Elvis.