Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#127372 by MopMop99 Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:59 am
Here is a recent scam attempt. I received this less than 24 hours after opening a Craglist account and listing an expensive video camera . . .

"I am interested in your item, please let me know if the item is still available."

I replied, "Still available". . . .

"Thanks for your Reply, i am happy to hear that the item is still
Available,Your price is considered.Please you will help me send the item
to my son who traveled for a missionary work because right now i am currently
on a training in 87th Division (Training Reserve) Army Reserve Birmingham,
AL 35244.
Please send me your full name and Home address so that i can send you
money order or you can also send me your PayPal so that i can make
the payment asap. I will be taking care of the shipment fee so you don't need to bother
yourself regarding the shipment fee, i will be happy if i made the payment
you will immediately mail out the package to my son please use USPS Express
mailing to send the package to my son address i am going to give you after
the payment.

I will be waiting to receive your reply soon.
Patrick Louis

I fortunately found this website that warned me against this type of scam. I'm glad it's here!

MopMop
Advertisement

#162098 by aduvivier Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 am
If it weren't for this forum I would not have know he/she was scamming. I just got this today after posting my Ipad for sale on Craigslist from [email protected]:

Thanks for the response, the price is good and am going to buy it
from you, and I would like you to consider this sold. Please you will
help me send the item to my son who traveled for a missionary work because
right now i am currently on a training at 87th Division (Training Reserve)
Army Reserve Birmingham, AL 35244,
please send me your Full name and address so that i can send you
money order or you can also send me your PayPal so that i can make
the payment as soon as possible or you can set up an account at http://www.paypal.com
because it's safe and secure online transaction.
I will be taking care of the shipment fee so you don't need to bother
yourself regarding the shipment fee, i will be happy if i made the payment
you will immediately mail out the package to my son please use USPS Express
mailing to send the package to my son address i am going to give you after
the payment.

I will be waiting to receive your reply soon.

Patrick Louis
#172072 by Bryon Williams Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:54 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners cmp1,

If the person you are inquiring about is posted in this thread then they are a scammer. The scam is explained throughout the thread.

I can assist you further if you state which scammer you are talking about and post a couple of his emails and email address.

I will need this information to tell you how he will attempt to scam you.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#172073 by cmp1 Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:12 pm
okay i recieved that exact same message but i am selling my macbook and he asked about a paypal but i said i didnt have one so he sent this :

Patrick Louis
Jul 21 (1 day ago)
to me
Ok provide your name and address so that i can send the money order
first thing on Monday morning

can someone scam you using a money order?
#172075 by cmp1 Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:25 pm
can you tell me how? i just want to be informed on what he can do with my name and adress etc? do i get the police involved or what ? im very upset , i didnt know people scam
#172076 by TerranceBoyce Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:40 pm
The money order will be counterfeit and the scammer will send you more than you ask for, that he'll say is to pay for shipment that will have to be through his agent. He'll tell you that you must pay the agent by Western Union.

The point being that you won't know the cheque is counterfeit before you send the Western Union payment and he'll collect the money you send. The scam is nothing to do with your item for sale. He just wants to trick you in to sending him a Western Union payment against his counterfeit money order.

Scammers send out 100's of these mails a day to try and hook a few victims. A seller should never ever pay anything to a buyer no matter what the reason is and, if you think about it, it's silly that he sends you a cheque and expects you to make payment by Western Union, but that's because the scam won't work if it's done any other way.

The scammer has no interest in your address and is unlikely to do anything with it.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#172078 by Bryon Williams Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 pm
@cmp1,

The scammer wants to steal your Mac Book. He will send you a fake Money Order and have you deposit it. He will then instruct you to mail you Mac Book to him in Africa, Malaysia, India, China or etc. He may have a mule in the US and ask you to ship there. He will want you to scan a copy of the mail receipt from USPS, Fedex or UPS he will want this done with the quickest shipping method. The reason is he wants your Mac Book in his hands before you and your bank realize that the money order was fake.

Fake checks and Money Orders look real they will fool your bank teller. By law your bank will release the funds quickly. Yet, days or weeks later you will be informed of the fraudulent deposit. You will have to repay the money back to the bank. The bank may close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement for fraud.

The scammer initially wanted to do a fake Paypal scam on you.

It is best to sell your merchandise in person face to face with cash. You will find that the majority of your buyers on Craigslist will be scammers.

Bryon

Btw: Thanks for sending me the scammers email address ( [email protected] ) this will help others from being scammed by him.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/