Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#172555 by WrathofGod Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 am
Hi All,

This scam has broadened out from just Autotrader. This scammer is now targeting people selling stuff on Vivastreet .

I first received a text on my mobile, but I couldn't reply, my text wouldn't send, so beware that for a start, it's an indicator not as is well!.

I then received an email from Jennifer Mccale [email protected]
and the story this scammer told was as follows:

"Thank you for getting back to me, due to the nature of my work, can you assure me that it’s in good condition because I don’t want to be disappointed buying this from you. I’m ready to pay your asking price but due to the nature of my work, i will not be able to come for the inspection because I’m an oceanographer, I can’t make any calls right now, I would have called you and discuss about this transaction, sorry for that but I’m able to access email anytime as I’m making use of PDA on sea, so the only quickest payment option is PayPal, I make the payment via PayPal since I’m requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don’t have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to create. Just log on to http://www.paypal.co.uk. I hope we can make the deal as fast as possible? aalso, i will include the shipping fees. let me know the inal price including this shipping fees. i look forward hearing from you."

The final straw was when I asked where her daughter lived and she said "NIGERIA" !!!!!

Added quotation (BW)
Advertisement

#172557 by TerranceBoyce Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 am
Welcome to Scamwarners WrathofGod.

As this scam is getting better known the scammers are looking for more obscure ad sites to target in the hope that they can find people who aren't familiar with how it works. They'll even work on local ad sites. After a day at work in the local bar sending off hundreds of these messages from their i pads they'll collect their winnings to fund the next days session in the bar.

They're pretty easy to spot if you know what to look for but as soon as the buyer wants you to make a payment then you can dismiss it as a scam. If the person wants you to use Paypal but can't pay his own shipper, then it's very obviously a scam.

They will only stop when they don't get any victims, I'm sorry to say.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle