Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#176603 by datatheft Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:12 pm
Have you received a scam SMS message enquiring about an item you are selling on Gumtree, Ebay or other for sale sites? The txt will usually be generic.

Txt example: "Good Morning. Messaging about your Ad on Gumtree. I will like to know the condition and firm price. Kindly email me on [email protected]" (one of the many scammer email addresses used).

There are literally hundreds of email addresses used by these scammers. If you receive a scammer txt or email post the email address and message by reply to this topic.

The Scam
Sellers will receive an SMS requiring future contact by email (usually a gmail address). The buyer negotiates a deal, usually agreeing to pay the sellers advertised price, organises an overpayment payment through PayPal to cover shipping costs and lets the seller know a shipping company will be in contact.

The seller receives an email from the shipping company including instructions etc. The buyer confirms payment has been made to PayPal and that all that remains is for the seller to pay the shipping company through Western Union (untraceable transaction).

Of course no money has ever been paid to PayPal despite receiving a notification by PayPal Email. The scammer gets the shipping costs and the seller remains stuck with the goods.

It is relatively easy to identify the scam. Sellers will usually receive an SMS that cannot be replied to and with no specific information about the item the scammer wants to purchase (similar to the example above).

If you receive an SMS or Email that you feel may be a scammer do a quick search for their email address. It is very likely that a complaint has already been made.

PLEASE NOTE: When posting email addresses post the message that includes the email address. You can highlight the email address if you wish. We need to avoid addresses being posted out of spite.

Thank you.
Last edited by datatheft on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Advertisement

#176605 by datatheft Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 pm
[email protected]
What's the present condition and final price of your listing on Gumtree,best way to contact me is via email [email protected]

[email protected]
I'm interested in your vechicle AD on gumtree, how much are you willing to sell it. email me at [email protected]

[email protected]
Good morning, Messaging about your Ad on Gumtre. I will like to know the price. Kindly email me on [email protected]

[email protected]
Hey you advertised your stuffs on Gumtree, what's your final price? please ONLY reply to my email on [email protected] due to my job rules. Scott

[email protected]
Hello I just viewed you ad on Gumtree. Is it still available? what is your firm price? kindly get back to me at edwinboyd2002 at gmal.com

[email protected]
I am interested in your listed ad on Gumtree, kindly contact me thru my email if you still have it available for sale [email protected]

[email protected]
Message to your post on gumtree i want to you to get back to me with the Price and Condition, if you still have it for sell. email [email protected]

[email protected]
hello, i will like to know if your items on gumtree is still for sale do get back to me on my email [email protected] if it's available

[email protected]
Can I know your best price for: the vehicle you posted on gumtree? Send me interior pics to [email protected]

Scammers Email Approach
[email protected]
Sent: 10 August 2013 02:37
To: xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Gumtree - home and garden appliances

i wanna buy all your items

COMMON DELIVERY ADDRESSES USED BY SCAMMERS

Name: I am your favourite scammer
Address: 101 Alma road, Wendywood, Sandton City Johannesburg,South Africa 2917

First Name: Yang
Last Name: Liu
Address: 19, Daxue Road
City: Nanning
State: Guangxi
Zip Code: 530005

Name : Omoniyi tunde
Address : No 24 Adeniyi Street,off Eleweran
City : Abeokuta,
State : Ogun
Zip code : 121101

More info on these two email addresses
[email protected]
[email protected]

See: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rivervie ... 1026558874

OTHER SCAMMER EMAIL ADDRESSES LISTED ON SCAMWARNERS

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Last edited by datatheft on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
#176606 by Bryon Williams Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:28 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners datatheft,

Thanks for posting. We do require that you post additional information providing proof that these email addresses are of scammers. Please post emails or messages from these addresses.

We have to protect people from someone just posting information out of spite. Not that you are doing this but we have to be careful.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#176617 by datatheft Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:16 pm
Thank you for the welcome Bryon :P

We do require that you post additional information providing proof that these email addresses are of scammers.

Please post emails or messages from these addresses.

We have to protect people from someone just posting information out of spite.

Good tip. I should have thought of this. I have edited the previous post and added info we have received from clients.

Cheers

datatheft
#176619 by datatheft Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:29 pm
Sent: 06 August 2013 12:30
To: xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Gumtree

Hi again, Thank you for the information. I have completed the payment transfer with paypal now and i hope you will have been notified that i have issued out the payment already as i got a deduction message here also so check your email inbox and junk message folders properly to ensure you receive it and read as they told me the receipts contains instructions.

I am insisting that you check both inbox and junk message because paypal said you will receive 2 messages from them the same way I did but when they contacted me, I found one message in my inbox and the other in my junk folder so kindly check yours too and make sure you get the 2 messages.

I have made payment plus the shipping charges of $2050 as i was instructed by paypal cos they told me they will take security measures due to the fact that this transaction involves a reasonable amount. So reply back to them and also inform me when everything has been sorted and your monies cleared. Once you have
completed their instructions and your money is in your account, we will arrange a time and day for pickup.

Regards,
#176620 by datatheft Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:50 pm
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Auto Shippers International
Sent: 06 August 2013 10:57
To: xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Message From Auto Shippers International

We are the shipping company from Auto Shippers INT'L, we wish to inform you that Mr Edwin Boyd contacted us as regards the shipping of the merchandise he bought from you and paid for accordingly.

Sequel to this, we sincerely request that you should forward to us your contact details so that we can come to your home and pick up the merchandise he paid for. We are also informed that you need to send the sum of $1,000.00 AUD to us via Western Union Money Transfer which is to cover the shipping fee, kindly send the money to us at our address below:

We expect you to get back to us with the information below:

1. Senders Name and Address
2. Amount Sent
3. Reference Number
4. House Address
5. Telephone Number

Send the scanned copy of the receipt to us for proper verification and confirmation.

We will serve you right,

Get back to us at : [email protected]

Thank you for using us,
Auto Shippers.
Last edited by datatheft on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#176621 by datatheft Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 pm
Sent: 06 August 2013 10:59
To: xxxxxx
Subject: Funds sent..!!!

Hello, I just completed the payment from my PayPal to your account (check your email properly including junk folder for the payment confirmation), a total of $6,800 was sent, $5,800 for the merchandise and the extra $1,000 for my shipper's charges including western union charges which you will be sending to the address below via western union.

My shipper would be coming around to your area to have the merchandise picked up once you have sent the shipping charges fee to them,as i need you to let me know what time you want them to come and where (your address & phone # you can be reached on)

I will be waiting to hear from you once the money has been sent to my shipper.

Thanks for the business.
#176622 by datatheft Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:05 pm
Date: 7 August 2013 2:10:29 PM AEST
To: xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ** LEGAL ACTION NOTIFICATION **

Dear xxxxxxxx,

We really want this transaction to work out but since you are not ready to show your understanding and cooperation, we will have to take things up through the tough proper authorities. We have contacted your buyer with some investigations and we have realized that you have not been faithful with us as we already have the conversations between you and your buyer with us as we write. We believe you read our security measures and company policies message and you are only waiting to test the strength of our securities. By not responding positively to our email notifications and acting according to our instructions, You have violated our security measures and we will have your profile details and account details with us passed to the Federal Bureau Of Investigation, the Internet Fraud Crime Commission and your local Police Department so as to ease their stress of tracking you down and delivering proper justice on you.

As your payment company, we have our rules and regulations and we strongly believe that by you using our services, It means you agree to our terms and trust our guide for an efficient and safe transaction. Obviously, you have failed to follow our instructions and proven to be recalcitrant to our guides therefore we assume you to be either a non cooperating customer or one of the numerous online fraudsters PayPal is working hard to put an end to.

According to the safety measures we take when handling transactions involving huge sums, We shall not fail to proceed into the next step which is our legal actions proceedings. This message will be our last alert to you and if we do not read from you within a short period, then be sure to receive visitors fighting internet corruptions from all governmental agencies in your local area and international standards.

As PayPal is not a hostile company, we are giving you a 24hours grace to get back to us with the requested details. If by the end of the given period, we have not received the requested details from you, we reserve the right to infringe and forward your information on file with us (which includes your contact details, DOB and telephone lines) to all governmental agencies backing us, this also includes the immigration officials of your country and we shall as well close your PayPal account.

This message is not a threat by PayPal but a legal step that we take in order to ensure a safer environment for all our users.

We request for the Shipment Scanned Receipt to prove sending of the shipper's fees in less than 24 hours and once we receive these details, we will release your funds into your account or otherwise face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION.

This is done in accordance to our policy and in other to protect both the seller and buyer.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
#206642 by datatheft Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:07 am
SMS from +93769999901
Can I know your best price for: the vehicle you posted on gumtree? Send me interior pics to [email protected]