Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#178053 by Apeters10 Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:25 pm
I advertise to clean in kijiji I got an email from a guy from away moving to my area this was one if the email messages:

You will help us to clean the apartment in the morning or a day before our arrival date on the 25th of october, the cleaning supplies will be provided to you, you will be getting the payment before you get started so you can be fully ready. The keys are with my moving agent and i will instruct the mover to handover the keys of the apartment to you so that you can be able to clean it before we arrive, the 4 months would be extended if we are satisfied with the service you rendered. My wife would be handling the payment and some other expenses, so she will be the one that would be taking care of your payment, I will instruct her to pay for the first week before our arrival so as to secure your service, actually she should have paid for more weeks but she will extend the payment if we are satisfy with your service after the first week. if you accept my offer, my wife would be needing the following Information to make out the payment via Certified check, Bank draft OR Money order, the apartment address is 1030 South Park Street Halifax, fill the requested details for the payment asap

Name to be on Check:
Address Include Apt # If Available
Postal code:
Cell phone number

Most importantly, i need your total honesty, sincerity and ability to carry out the task with less supervision. I know you will be committed to the work, you will also have a nice period of working with my family.

I will be waiting to hear from you.

Thank you

Quotation added. (BW)
Advertisement

#178054 by Mumbles Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:44 pm
The check is certified by the same man that forged it. It is a bad check. Worthless. The person who printed it has no right to use the account. Now, how can things go wrong?

When you opened your bank account, they had you sign a form, lot of fine print, that said, you and you alone are responsible for each and every item you deposit in your account.

The check will include some amount that you must transfer to somebody else by Western Union. Your bank will let you withdraw the cash because you certified the check as good by depositing it in your account. You will send pile of money to some fake name and you can't get it back. Your bank will call in a few days or a few weeks and tell you that the check was not good and you need to replace the bank's money, today! Your account will be closed, the police may visit you.

Since scammers always like Western Union, tell them to send money to you by Western Union and you will forward money for them, by check.

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well ...”

Martin Luther King Jr.
#178055 by Bryon Williams Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:48 pm
@Apeters10,
The writing is clearly from someone not familiar with English writing. I am positive that it appears to be written by a West African scammer.

Please post the email address this scammer used with you. This will help others avoid losing money and having their bank accounts closed.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#178056 by Apeters10 Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:53 pm
I under stand what happened with a bad check,but what do they get out of it? he will ask me to send money back? He does that after the fact?

Thx for the reply!!

His email

Tim smith
[email protected]
#178057 by Bryon Williams Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:58 pm
^^ The scammer will send a fake "Certified Check/Money Order" with an amount over what you are expecting. He then will ask you to send the over payment to his mover/agent or whomever by Western Union or Money Gram. He will make up a reason as why this has happened. If you send the money back to the mover/agent (Scammer) you will never see that money again. As previously mentioned the check will be fake.

The check / Money Order will be fake it will look real. Do not deposit or cash it.
Even if your bank tells you that the check/Money Order has cleared, it does not mean they will take responsibility for it when it is returned. They are required by law to give you access to money within a few days.

But later, when the check/Money Order goes to a clearance house or the original bank, the check/Money Order will be returned and you will be held responsible.

It can take days, weeks, or even months for the fraud to be discovered and you will be required to pay all of the money back, regardless of who sent the check/Money Order to you. The bank also may have you charged with 'Financial Fraud'.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/