Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#178233 by harold steptoe Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm
I'm getting the same enthusiasm from [email protected] to buy my car. But poor grammar and the desire for an out of Gumtree conversation, along with the desire for PayPal, even being willing to pay their fees, made me cautious enough to search Google.

Where do I report him?

Is it worth it to follow through and try for a sting when he tries to take the car? Or am I only likely to get a request to deposit somewhere?

Daniel
Advertisement

#178236 by Bryon Williams Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners harold steptoe,

In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your car. He wants to steal your money. No one will ever come to pick up the vehicle. It is all a scam with the scammer playing all roles. There is nothing to report. The scammer is using a free email address and a fake name.

The scammer wanted to send you a fake Paypal payment. He has a fake Paypal address from a free email provider. The payment would look real. Its a screen shot of a fake payment. He then will instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer would say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Log into Paypal directly without any links to check for monies received or call Paypal directly from the number on their site.

If you are selling electronics, Cell phones or computers then the scammer is trying to steal your "item". Your fake funds will be released when you send the scammer a scan copy of a receipt showing you mailed your item.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

The best thing to do is to sell in person face to face in a public place.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#178277 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:08 pm
[email protected]
mickey mcfarlin

Originating IP: 197.210.248.24
Originating ISP: Mtn Nigeria
City: n/a
Country of Origin: Nigeria

Thanks for the swift response...I am willing to know the lowest price of
it.due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come
for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours
everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with
it.As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure
way to pay online(PayPal).I have a private courier agent that will come for
the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.
You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also
include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal
account,you can easily set up one...log on to http://www.paypal.com.au and sign
up. its very easy.I await your reply asap

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/