Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#178294 by Nathanunited94 Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:09 pm
I am selling a Ibiza Cupra on gumtree

Within a few minutes of posting I got a text from a strange number..

Hello I'm interested in buying the car you add on gumtree site. Please email me
[email protected]

So I emailed him saying are you interested in the Cupra?

He then replied..
Hi
Can you please send me more pictures of it if available? as i can not come for a viewing. and how much you want for it.
Paul

I then said £2000..

He then Replied saying..

I will make the £2,000 payment to you. Payment will be made using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well. I will need it at Southampton, but i will arrange with a pick up agent to have this picked up from your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment.
Kindly get back to me with the email you use in setting up your paypal account so i can make the payment through.
Paul

I then said

Do you Realise I'm in Northern Ireland?

He replied

Yes i do. I will make arrangement with a pick up agent... so this will not be a problem.
Thank you

Alarm bells started ringing, this person is just going to give me £2000 without knowing anything about my car?
I then told my friend who showed me this website thankfully!

I emailed him back and said

I would prefer cash in hand do you have a mobile number?

He sent me
You can reach me on 07042068413

So I rang it and got through to some African guy.. I didn't ask any questions because it probably charges £2 a minute but if this happens to anyone please don't fall for it like I nearly did..

And feel free to ring the number and check it out

Added quotations. (BW)
Advertisement

#178299 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:19 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Nathanunited94,

In this scam the scammer is NOT interested in your car. He wants to steal your money. No one will ever come to pick up the vehicle. It is all a scam with the scammer playing all roles.

The scammer wanted to send you a fake Paypal payment. He has a fake Paypal address from a free email provider. The payment would look real. Its a screen shot of a fake payment. He then will instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer would say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Log into Paypal directly without any links to check for monies received or call Paypal directly from the number on their site.

If you are selling electronics, Cell phones or computers then the scammer is trying to steal your "item". Your fake funds will be released when you send the scammer a scan copy of a receipt showing you mailed your item.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

The best thing to do is to sell in person face to face in a public place.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#178349 by Bryon Williams Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:35 am
[email protected]

Hi
I have looked at the picture of it on your add and i am satisfied with the condition, i want to make payment for it, How much do you want for it.
Thanks
Paul
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/