Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#179837 by craiginoz Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 pm
Hi,
I have just advertised a motorcycle on Gumtree and a pretty good scammer who's going by the name of Mitchell Morrison in Alice Springs is trying the old "i'll buy your bike and can you pay the transporter when he turns up if i pay you a little more via paypal"
I say he's good ( i just mean better than usual) as he's using pretty good English and also Aussie terms like "mate" and "alright" etc, and also doesn't say he's working abroad.
Also he gives a company address and phone number (which just rings out to voice mail) which you can see in our mail trail below.
Hopefully by adding him in here he will get spotted again.
He never returned my last mail asking him to pay all money into my account as scammers can try and use paypal

1st message to scammer
----- Original Message -----
Sent: 10/28/13 10:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: LC 250 on Gumtree
Hi Mate,
Just responding to your contact from Gumtree.
Yes the LC is still for sale as it only went on last night :-)
But saying that I've already had another email about it.
I do expect a fair amount of contact as not too many come up in this original condition with matching numbers.

Let me know if you need any more info or would like to see it.

1st reply from scammer
Sent: 10/28/13 12:04 PM
To: Craig
Subject: RE: LC 250 on Gumtree
Hi mate, thanks for getting back. what's the present condition and final sales price of the bike? Also, when last was it serviced?
Regards,
Mitchell

Larapinta Pty Limited
6 Wallis St, Alice Springs,
NT, Australia
PH:0879057049

2nd response from me
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 22:25:13 -0400

Hi,
The pics were only taken the other day so it's as shown.
But everything is in great order and in good condition.
All plastics and paint have been done under a month ago, so looks as new.
Ive also replaced the decals on clocks and ignition switch, reconditioned the master brake cylinder and caliper.
I generally just tidied it up and made sure it ran well.
It's sounds very tight (actually one of the best I've heard for a while) and no untoward noises or smoke coming out of the engine.
I have done a basic service i.e. replaced the air filter and plugs with new ones. I can replace the transmission oil. Just not got round to it.

2nd reply from him
Sent: 10/28/13 01:11 PM
thanks for the info mate. whats your exact final sales price?
Regards,
Mitchell
Larapinta Pty Limited
NT, Australia

3rd response from me
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 23:14:05 -0400

Oh Sorry I forgot that bit.
Currently (depending on how long it's on sale for) I'll go down to $4500, but i'm in no realy hurry to sell it's only that it's just taking up space at the moment.

3rd reply from him
Sent: 10/28/13 01:37 PM
Ok mate, I am happy with the bike present condition and ok with the asking price of $4,500. I'm located in Alice Springs NT and that's where the bike is going. Also, my pickup agent will come for pickup of the bike after funds has cleared to your account. Do get back to me with your bank details or your PayPal email address and the address for the bike to be picked after payment has been made and cleared to your account. Thanks.
Regards,
Mitchell
Larapinta Pty Limited
NT, Australia

4th response from me
I passed on bank details, but only an account i don't use anymore with no money in it.

5th response from him :yikes: alarm bells now ringing
Sent: 10/28/13 05:24 PM

Alright mate, I got your bank details and agree that the bike will only be picked after payment has cleared to your account. All paperwork will be done by my local pickup agent. Just to let you know I will be adding my pickup agent fees in the payment through PayPal in order to reduce the total cost on this transaction. Kindly get back to me as soon as you receive payment confirmation from PayPal regarding this transaction. Thanks.

Regards,
Mitchell

****** no response from my mail after this hinting he was a scammer ******
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation for clarity.
Advertisement

#179843 by jolly_roger Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 am
Thank you for posting craig. Reading what you've posted above, I doubt the e-mail you received has been written by an Aussie. The company has a different phone number to what the scam artist has divulged to you.
I'm glad you saw through the scam for what it is. Your best course of action is to simply stop communicating with the shady individual.
And welcome to SW. Anytime you come across any scams, it's easy to post them on the forums.
#179887 by tdigs Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:46 pm
Oh wow this guy must have a lot of money because I have had exactly the same situation with this scam.
I posted my car to sell on gumtree and it panned out exactly the same has your situation craiginoz.
This all started on Sunday afternoon.

This has put me off putting anything else online to sell!!!

This is how it panned out ( read from bottom to top)

paying directly to your bank account

Subject: Re: Hilux
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 07:21:10 +1000

So where are you paying the 3500, into my account or paypal?

Sent from my iPad
On 29 Oct 2013, at 5:23 am, "Mitchell Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

Alright mate, I got your bank details and agree that the car will only be picked after payment has cleared to your account. All paperwork will be done by my local pickup agent. Just to let you know I will be adding my pickup agent fees in the payment through PayPal in order to reduce the total cost on this transaction. Kindly get back to me as soon as you receive payment confirmation from PayPal regarding this transaction. Thanks.

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:29:57 +1000

G'day Mitchell,

Excellent, I work until 5pm everyday and get home around 5:30 5:45. And home most parts of the weekend. Just let me know when you're driver is expected to be around. My account details are,

I also gave an account I don't use with no money in it. Has I always do with online selling

Thank you

Removed (BW)

Sent from my iPad

On 28 Oct 2013, at 6:07 pm, "Mitchell Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

Ok mate, I am happy with the Car present condition and ok with the asking price of $3,500. I'm located in Alice Springs NT and that's where the car is going. Also, my pickup agent will come for pickup of the car after funds has cleared to your account. Do get back to me with your bank details or your PayPal email address and the address for the car to be picked after payment has been made and cleared to your account. Thanks.

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:37:00 +1000

No worries mate,

Ah it needs the radiator put back in, rest of the wiring done and a service. It hasn't beeserviced since the v6 has been put in it so probably a good 2 years.

$3500 is the lowest I can go

Sent from my iPhone 5

On 28 Oct 2013, at 10:50 am, "Mitchell Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi mate, thanks for getting back. what's the present condition and final sales price of the Car? Also, when last was it serviced?

> Subject: Hilux
> From: Removed (BW)
> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 07:50:52 +1000
> To: [email protected]
>
> G'day mate,
>
> Yes the Hilux is still for sale.
>
> Thanks Removed (BW)
>
> Sent from my iPad
#179895 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:27 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners tdigs,

I removed your personal information from your post.

The scammer does not have a lot of money. He is trying to steal your money. He does not want your car. It is all lies/scams to steal your money.
The scammer wanted to send you a fake Paypal payment. He has a fake Paypal address from a free email provider. The payment would look real. Its a screen shot of a fake payment. He then will instruct you to pay a mover, shipper or agent. The fake Paypal email from the scammer would say that your Paypal funds will be released when you send the scammer (mover,agent or shipper) money via Western Union or Money Gram. In reality Paypal would never hold your funds.

Log into Paypal directly without any links to check for monies received or call Paypal directly from the number on their site.

If you are selling electronics, Cell phones or computers then the scammer is trying to steal your "item". Your fake funds will be released when you send the scammer a scan copy of a receipt showing you mailed your item.

This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real. After you cash the fake check. Days or weeks later your bank will inform you of the fraud. Your bank will have you repay the monies. Possibly close your account for fraud and report you to Law Enforcement.

The best thing to do is to sell in person face to face in a public place or with someone with you.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#179896 by craiginoz Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 pm
Hi Byron,
When you say " This same scam works with fake check and money orders. You and your bank will think they are real" what sort of money orders are these? are the genuine but no money in account to support them or just complete fakes? if fakes why does it take a bank weeks to realise they are fakes?
Could you not receive a bank chwque and take it in person to the bank and get them to validate it?
Also does this mean bank cheques (that you get printed at a bank) that people treat like cash can be fake?
Like when you go to buy a car in person people will usually take a bank cheque (although i just take cash normally)
#179898 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 pm
Fake checks can be totally fake as the scammer made them with computer software or ordering them through an internet service. Fake could also mean the scammer has hacked or taken control of a victim's bank account. The victim of the bank account may not realize that they have been hacked for some time. Normally they learn of this when they balance their account or their bank inform them of a negative balance.

Money Order like currency can be made with computers.

Our laws now require banks to release the funds in a couple of days now instead of the old way. This means no ones know whether it will clear until it goes to the clearing house.

Yes, you could take it to the persons bank. You still risk that the teller does not know the account has been hacked. You will still be responsible for all monies and cashing a fraudulent check from a hacked account. Worse of all you will have to explain how this happened to Law Enforcement.

If a bank teller hands you a check. You should accept it as legitimate.

When you go buy a car or anything else with a check. The receiver looks at your ID and makes notes on the check. You will be identified in the future.

If you receive a check or money order in the mail from someone you never met face to face. You are taking risk. Scammers use free email addresses and fake names.

See here for some good fakes>>> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3141

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#179901 by craiginoz Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:20 pm
cool thanks for that info, it's good to know and i'll pass it on.
One other question if a scammer gets hold of someones internet bank details, logs in and manages to transfer monies into your account for a purchase so it all looks legitimate, and then it's found out at a later date that it was fraudulent who pays? the person who was scammed, the seller or the bank?
#179902 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:24 pm
The receiver of the fraudulent funds will be held responsible. Their bank account may be frozen, blocked from opening bank accounts anywhere and reported to Law Enforcement for Fraudulent Financial Crimes and Money Laundering.

ETA: Receiving stolen money is the worst position a scam victim can find themselves in. As, stated before the scammer will never be caught. He is using fake information. Only the receiver is using real information for Law Enforcement to track down.

#179905 by Bryon Williams Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 pm
If you sent an "item" then you will have also lost the item. The scammer will not send it back.

Craigslist, Gumtree and other online ad places are meant for cash only transactions. There is no protection for the seller or buyer. Cash in a public place is the best method. Ebay is an alternative but you need to be familiar with the rules, protection and common scam tactics.

Bryon

#180118 by Cautious1209 Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:21 am
I was contacted by this guy too.
However he made the mistake by sending a txt from the same number (+61 428 465 117) asking an email to be sent to [email protected] (also a known scam) and now to [email protected]. The warning bells rang when my email to "Mitchell" couldn't go through.

What should I do now?
I'm definitely not going ahead with the sale, but it is an opportunity to catch him.
#180130 by aussieruss Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:34 am
Hi Craig
I just had an almost identical set of emails from mitchell morrison
see below for one:
Sent: Saturday, 2 November 2013 12:15 PM
To: Russell2
Subject: RE: Blackbird

Hi mate, thanks for getting back. what's the present condition and final sales price of the bike? Also, when last was it serviced?
Regards,
Mitchell

Larapinta Pty Limited
NT, Australia
Cheers Russ
#180132 by niclauzj Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:54 am
Glad I googled this!!!

Identical emails from Mr Mitchell Morrison. 6 bla bla bla street in Alice springs. Thought it was a bit sus that he was going to drop 7k on a bike after 4 emails so thought I'd dig a little deeper!

Cheers all!