Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#185123 by Bombating Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:59 pm
Hi,

I'm selling a Smartphone on OLX (online selling platform for used stuff) and one user have contact me. I have sent him my Bank Identification Number and today I received this email:

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:16:16 +0000
Subject: ******AWAITING SHIPMENT RECEIPT AND TRACKING NUMBER********
To: my email

http://cgi.scotiabank.com/press_photos/Puerto_Rico.jpg
It Now Safe For You To Ship Out.

Dear my name

We are hereby informing you that the Payment Confirmation which you received earlier is now approved and is ready to be released to your bank once you comply with this process.

Go ahead with the Shipment of the item being ordered from you by our client Rita Ramos and send us the Shipment Receipt for the Shipment Verification and tracking number.

Once the shipment has been confirmed,the total amount of 300 Euro will be remitted to your bank, from Scotia Bank straight into your my bank name Account. This is the Shipping address below;

Name; Pedro Zuidema
Address; Zwenkgraslaan 6
Zipcode; 3452 CV
City; Vleuten
Country;Holland

The process which you will have to follow so that you can get your money are being stated below:

[1]. Go ahead and Ship out the item ordered from you by our client to her provided shipping address.
[2]. Send the Shipment Receipt to us for the Shipment verification.
[3]. You will have to be patient till when the Shipment Verification Process will be over which does not take not less than 12-24 Hours.
[4]. Your account would be credited immediately the Shipment Verification process is Over.

The details are to be send to our verification section: [email protected]

Bellow that and still on email there's reference to "FBI approved" and "In order to prevent fraud this transaction is fully monitored by the Interpol" also Trevor Field as Marketing Director and he's photo on some Interpol card. In the end also "POLICIA LOCAL" logo...

Also first she answered me in Portuguese after that always in English. I thought it was normal but now analyzing all information if it's a scam this is an important input.

Is this definitely a scam or I can send her smartphone?

One more thing with my bank identificarion number am I at risk?

Thank you in advance
Advertisement

#185124 by Mumbles Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 pm
Scam! Stop!

I don't think the scammer can draw anything from your account just by having the account number. To be safe against somebody printing and passing bad checks on your account later, ask bank to give you new account number, perhaps.

PayPal was created so you can do business online without ever giving anybody your account number. You should use it when you can.
Last edited by Mumbles on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well ...”

Martin Luther King Jr.