Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#189180 by BusterJack Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 am
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r730/Buster_Jack/Horse-BarnDoor-Boltedebaypagescreenie_zpsc6bfbab3.png

The above is a screenie of an eBay scam with a little story, and I'm posting the details here just in case anyone fell for it. If they did, they will be out of pocket for a lot of cash. But then - maybe not....

This relates to eBay item No. 121261799198

"2010 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 TD HSE Sat Nav Rev Cam Rear"

It was an auction-style listing for a 2010 Range Rover. I reported it to eBay as a fraudulent listing several times, the first being on 25th January 2014. When no action was taken, I emailed eBay UK twice on Monday 27th January - and a possible item of value is that on both occasions they replied to acknowledge receipt of that email. Still no action was taken and the auction went through to completion at just before 22:00 on Monday night (27th Jan) with 51 bids from 14 individual bidders. The highest bid was over £56,000. All 14 bidders were sent second-chance-offers at about 22:05. This is standard practice for our Romanian friends.

eBay eventually agreed that it WAS a scam, but not until 10:46 today (28th Jan), nearly 13 hours after the auction had ended. This is the gist of the message:-

"We're writing to let you know that we removed the listing you won or were bidding on, and the item is no longer available:
121261799198 - 2010 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 TD HSE Sat Nav Rev Cam Rear"

Now, my concern is that sometime between 22:00 on the 27th and 10:46 today (or possibly later), somebody struck up communication with the scammers regarding the second-chance-offer, and it's at least a possibility that money was transferred. If this is the case, the money will of course be unrecoverable (we all know the routine well enough by now) but in this case it could be different - eBay have acknowledged receipt of a fraud warning BEFORE the fraud took place.

If this didn't happen and nobody lost any cash, then we can forget about it and move on. But if anyone hears about a victim relating to this particular scam, then I have some useful documents that could be used in recovery efforts.

I don't often visit Scamwarners so if anyone needs to contact me, Boycie and Tools know how.

BJ
Advertisement