Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#195711 by bamrigel Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:18 am
I am being scammed.
My friend told me to buy this phone from a website. In receiving the phone I realized it was not what I wanted. So she posted it on Craigslist for me since I did not have an account. She posted my number for contacting. I had received multiple calls and texts from people interested in the phone. I was leaving on a family trip so she changed the number to hers so people could contact her. I came back from my trip and no one had a good offer. She was talking to two buys at the time and told them to contact me.
Someone contacted me by the number of 801-436-7309 and claimed that they had seen photos of the phone and were fine with the price of $150. I did not have any photos but thought that maybe my friend had shown them some. Apparently they had not. They asked if I would ship put of the country. I was hesitant, because I didn't think that was something I could do or was suppose to. They said they were leaving on a business trip and wanted the phone there waiting for them. I told them I could not do that. They said they lived in Ogden Utah and I told them I would be able to ship the phone there once I received the check. They told me they would give me their information in the check. I gave them my name and address and they told me they would notify me when they mailed the check, this was Thursday March 20th. The next day, I got a text from the person saying "How are you?" I didn't respond but then I got more texts asking about my day and then said they would not be able to send the check til Monday. I responded and thanked them for letting me know and told them I could not ship the phone until I could verify that the check was real. Saturday and Sunday I got more text from the person. They were trying to make small talk, asking me how my day was and if it was nice weather where I was at. It made me a little nervous. I tried calling them but there were short rings and no answer, I even *69 my number and used another phone to call but never picked up. Then on Monday, I got a text saying that they had went to the post office and sent the check. On Thursday I got a message from them asking if I had received the check. I had not. Then I got this:
2.12 Thursday March 27
"I want to discuss something with you"
I responded:
"Yes?"
Person:
"I want to tell you something very important, firstly remember I told you I will be traveling out of the country soon right ?"
I responded:
"yes, I do remember that, However, I told you I cannot ship out of the country"
person:
"I know, its about my late father's business. he owns the business and I have to go and complete his undone work and make him proud, all I told you about the phone was just to know the kind of person you are and if you are a very trustworthy person. and I appreciate you for being so honest and truthful to me."
I was confused since I never said anything to make him think that of me at all.
I responded:
Im sorry, I am confused. What you told me about the phone?"
person:
"yes I meant on buying the phone. my late father's business is construction and labor. he has been summoned to come and do jobs here before he died, so his check has been sent to him but he is dead so I am the one in charge as the next of kin. my bank account has been frozen that's why I cant cash the check. The check is worth $400,000...so that why I wanted to get your trust before sending the check to you. now I am happy you are such a good person, the check has been issued to you and now I want us to do somethings for eachother"
I responded:
"I am very sorry, I do not understand."
person:
I want to involve you in the business and work as the frontier, you will be the person in charge of money and cashing and sending you will get paid for every job you do, that doesn't stop you from the work you do now... its just a job that's very good for you. this shows you its very good to be good"
I responded:
"Thank you for your offer. I am not interested in anything of the sort, are you even interested in the phone?"
person:
"yes I am and also interested in you too, I know my offer may not be some kind of straight to you but I want you to know that as a matter of time, you will be used and okay with it. The check of $400,000 has been issued to you"
I did not respond out of fear of him saying I would be used and okay with it. three hours later
person:
"I am expecting you to just give it a try, this is a legal entity all you have to do is cash the check and send it down here"
Then on March 28 at 10:36
person:
"hello darling, goodmorning to you"
3:39 March 28
"you there, you need to respond. The check should be there with you today"
I had not received the check and was nervous. I received the check on Friday the 29th. Everything was printed except his signature "Joseph B". On the envelope in the return address it says
" Gofen and Glossber LLC
455 N. Cityfront Plaza
Chicago, IL 60611"
The postal confirmation stamp says
Madison WI 535
25 MAR 2014 PM 4 L
The only thing in the envelope was the check, once again everything was printed my name and the check stating It was $400,000. Gofen and Glossber is at the left hand corner.
the check said that it was made out on 03/26/14 which is two days after he said he had already sent it.

I'm a little scared, he does not have any account information, but does have my full name and address and phone number...I'm not sure what I am suppose to do and im scared for when he said at some point I will be used and okay with it....what do I do!!!??
Advertisement

#195714 by AlanJones Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:27 am
The cheque is fake and the scammer is also trying to make you a money mule receiving payments from scam victims and sending them on to him.

Just shred the cheque and ignore his emails and texts.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#195716 by tazmanian Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:31 am
Hello, sorry you have had this distressing experience.

The most important thing to say is....don’t worry, you are safe. These people are nasty, but they are also cowardly and lazy, they will not want to risk a visit to visit your home, in any case that’s not how they operate.

Your case sounds like a mix of common scams but the main point is - the check is fake. DO NOT CASH IT. The money will credit your account, you will forward the “funds” , the bank will discover the check is fake and you will be liable for the money. It’s called “flash money”.

The other dialogue is common scammer talk, designed to make you think you have a new, trustworthy friend.

My advice - contact your local police just for your peace of mind and report the fake check and the scam, they can do nothing but as these scammers have your details, you should at least go on record about it. Destroy the check or at least make sure nobody ever mistakes it for a real one.

Break ALL contact with these scammers. Ignore any texts or emails. Do not interact with them in any way. Eventually they will realise they have lost you as a victim and move on. Relax, this was unpleasant but you are in no danger.
Last edited by tazmanian on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
#195719 by tazmanian Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:39 am
BTW I'm not sure the "used and okay with it" line was meant as a threat, I think it was more likely bad English from the sender. To be meant as a threat would require an understanding of the more subtle intent behind the words, most scammers - and judging by the evidence this includes yours - lack the linguistic ability or intellect to convey such a meaning in English.

That's just my take on it though I could be wrong, as my wife is always reminding me :D
#195723 by bamrigel Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:43 am
Thank you so much, especially for the sudden responses! I feel so much better about this. I will contact the police as suggested just for precautions. Also I never realized it as not being a threat and a lack of language concepts instead. That actually makes more sense. Thank you once again!
#196191 by coinpuppy Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:34 pm
Contacting the police is fine (bring them the check if you do) but there is nothing really they can do, these scammers are in Africa...just educate yourself from now on and do not tell the scammers you know its a scam or any other info.