Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#198238 by SteveRyland Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 am
Hi there I am trying to sell my car on autotrader and was just wondering if this person is trying to scam me, as they are a slight variation of previous scams I have read but may also be an honest person.

Ok basically they asked me if the car was still for sale, and some general questions about it. Then they also knocked the price down a bit (not something scammers do I read) and she said she would pay by PayPal, and that she just had an operation so will have a delivery agency collect the car. (A bit weird seeings as I offered to deliver the car as I'm still insured to drive it).

Now, the money from PayPal is pending into my account, and so far she hasn't asked me to transfer any money to the delivery company (a classic scam) and she also said she would wait until the money cleared into my account before booking a time for the agency to collect the car. Do you think this is a scam? It rings alarm bells due to the fact they are paying by paypal and having an agency pick it up, but they also aren't able to actually take any money from me once the payment is cleared. Maybe they are looking to reverse the payment once they have the car? What are your thoughts? I have 2 other people interested in the car so maybe I shouldn't risk it and just say the car is sold to this person now.
Advertisement

#198243 by AlanJones Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 am
Is the money really in your PayPal account or are you just going on what an email is telling you? If it really is in your account have you asked PayPal why it is pending? It is possible that it could come from a phished PayPal account.

If the other people are wiling to pay cash face to face then I would go with one of them.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#198249 by SteveRyland Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:08 am
Just an update, they have now sent me an email telling me that there is a problem paying their delivery agency and want me to pay £200 into their account so yes this is a scam in case anyone else got the same thing.

their email address is [email protected] so watch out for it!
#198294 by Mumbles Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 am
For the record, PayPal is never "pending". PayPal transfers money without added conditions. There is never a case where PayPal says, you will get paid after you provide a tracking number or pay a fee. PayPal doesn't do escrow.

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well ...”

Martin Luther King Jr.