Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#201891 by MtKevin Sat May 17, 2014 11:06 pm
Yesterday I had posted an ad to Craigslist and it didn't take long for the vulture's to start circling lol. I received a text from 762-233-2208 saying they were interested in the items I posted and asked how much for them. After I gave them the price they went into a speech about how they want to verify my ad and make sure that it wasn't a scam. I replied that they could do whatever they needed to to verify it wasn't a scam. That's when they informed me that they will run it through Craigslist and that I should be getting a five digit code that I will need to then text to them so the ad can be verified. ****************DO NOT GIVE THEM THIS CODE**************
From what I have been able to find out is they use this code to register their phone and attach it to your Craigslist account so they can post ads and scam other people. If you have heard of this scam and know more about it please feel free to update this topic. I knew there was something wrong with this reply because the texts were written in such poor and broken english. They never once tried to talk me down on the price and they really really wanted that code. They talked more about getting the code then anything else and it was imperative that I get that code to them and as fast as I could and that it was correct. I did mess with them and I gave them 2 wrong codes but that didn't deter them at all. They would just have an automated system re-send me the code lol. Like I said if you know what this scam is all about please reply to this topic because I as well as others would like to know what this code is all about. I hope no one finds out the hard way and that post has kept someone from finding out what happens if these codes are given out. Thank you for reading this and good luck to all.

MtKevin
Advertisement

#201892 by Bryon Williams Sat May 17, 2014 11:13 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners MtKevin,

You are correct. It is a scam. If you would have given them the code. It would allow the scammer to post scam ads using your account which is registered to your phone number and email address. They will post ads and and put their number/email address in the listing for victims to contact.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#202149 by MtKevin Mon May 19, 2014 2:19 pm
Thanks for the info Bryon I had figured that the scam was somewhere along those lines but wasn't really sure. I listed below what had tipped me off to it being a scam and I hope these little tips help others avoid being scammed. The biggest was #3 no one does this on craigslist.....EVER!!!! lol

The dead giveaways were
1. The message had such bad english. Wasn't even bad texting English it was worse
2. They asked questions that the ad answered if they read it.
3. They didn't even try and talk me down on the price, just agreed to it.
4. Were very impatient and wanted the code now. The code was the only thing they were interested in. If I brought up the items in the ad they would either ignore my statement or said they wouldn't talk to me until they got the code to make sure "I" was not scamming them. lol
5. The text message I received that had the code on it was in French. If they were local then why did the message with the code be in french? I guess if you were sitting in a Internet cafe somewhere in Europe or Africa on Craigslist it would be in french.

I hope this message helps, if only 1 person finds this helpful and keeps them from giving away their code all this typing would have been worth it. Good luck to all out there and a big thank you to everyone who makes this site possible.

Thanks,
MtKevin
#259556 by Shepowers Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 pm
Received this text after applying for a job posting:

"craigslist secret code for [email protected] is 94368. Do not share this code for any reason. Any request for it is a scam."

Clearly a scam by way of texting. I did not respond.
#259563 by Bryon Williams Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:19 am
Thank you for the update.

The scammer is in need of Craigslist accounts to commit his crimes. He used your phone number to register on Craigslist he was hoping you would not realize it and enter the codes. If entered he would make fake/fraudulent ads.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#289159 by Dsa Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:39 pm
I wish I read this post before. I fell for this scam. A nice apartment in my area. I looked the address up on Google Earth and it seemed right. I gave them the code. Before doing this, I logged out of all the apps I was using on my phone (I was a little suspicious but apprently not enough).
My question now is: what to do now? I don´t have craigslist account or so. But is there some spyware on my phone now? And how can I now? It is an iPhone 6.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
#289164 by Mike Wilson Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:00 pm
Hello Dsa,
Your phone is probably OK. The scammer wanted the code so that he can post scam adds on Craigslist.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#294747 by 7Holly Fri May 13, 2016 11:52 am
I knew better and fell for it too. Ugh. I can't believe the rotten people who do this stuff. I followed the instructions on CL and contacted them:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/contact

I received a call/email from someone asking for my code
scammers may try to use your phone to verify their account. Do not disclose your code!
if you have given your code to someone, please contact us.

Contact us about phone verification issues.
#335319 by VirginiaBen Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 pm
OH MAN!!! I am so upset right now!!! And feel so stupid!!! and SCARED!!! I gave up the code!!!! There already harassing me!!! HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP!!! What if i delete my email and change my phone number? then what would happen!!!! I reported craigslist about the incident. NOW WHAT!!! I am so out there right now and feels horrible!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
#335320 by Bryon Williams Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:59 pm
Just ignore them and do not give them the code.

They will eventually go away.

Post the email address and email they sent you.

#335322 by Bryon Williams Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:17 pm
Do not respond to the scammer. As long as you stay in contact they will reply.

Cancel the codes if you can.