Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#213867 by jimmyrambo Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:02 pm
Hi there,

Its a pretty complicated situation. In a nutshell: I paid for a laptop on paypal and the seller 'accidentally' closed his account and says the funds are on hold.

The payment was made through my credit card > paypal > Sellers paypal. I sent 2 payments to make the total as he said he couldnt withdraw the first amount as it was too big.

He's now telling me that he wont send the laptop because he doesnt have the money in his bank! He said I should open a dispute on paypal however they said because its 2 payments i may only be covered for one!

Im just wondering what you guys know on this kind of thing, will my credit card cover me for this? I rang them too and they said I cant dispute the transaction until the seller claims them both! However paypal have told me its cleared and is on its way to his bank…

Any help is much appreciated, pretty worried as I paid over £1000. Im scared that hes trying to close his paypal account and do a runner. is this possible?
Advertisement

#213965 by Bubbles Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:09 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners, It is possible and it sounds likely that he is trying to get away with double payment and not supply the laptop. You did it right by contacting PayPal. I think their answer is a bit weak. If you actually used your credit card through PayPal, you should have some power with your credit card company.

I would work it from both ends, PayPal and your credit card company.

Sadly, there are plenty of people willing to take your money. It is also true that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is not true.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.