Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#213869 by dario1902 Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:28 pm
Hello,
I'm selling virtual good (game account) and my buyer will be paying with his new credit card that he is waiting to get. He will be paying me either through western union or wire it to my bank account. Question is, if credit card is stolen how am I protected after getting money on my hands/account, will bank ask me to return if it turns out card was stolen? I am asking this because good I am selling can't be retrieved once its sold.

Thanks for help in advance.
Advertisement

#213882 by Bubbles Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:49 pm
I would NOT give my banking information to anyone online so they could "pay directly into my account", which is what a Wire Transfer is.

This situation sounds rather suspicious. They are just getting a credit card?
They want to pay by Western Union or Wire Transfer?

The credit card is probably stolen and yes, the bank can reverse the money that goes into your account if it is a fraud. We have a topic for this: Credit Card Fraud

Scammers are well known to send fake messages from Western Union indicating that the funds are available, and you are to send the item immediately to them. In this case, there is no money and you have sent the item already and have little to no chance of getting it back. We have a topic for this too: Scammer stealing your item

With the Wire Transfer, they spoof/fake those notices too. Plus you have given them information about your account.

You are wise to be careful. Online transactions often are risky doing them yourself. Best of luck to you.

Edited to add topic linkies x 2

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#213921 by dario1902 Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:44 am
Thanks for fast and thorough reply. Buyers offer was little fishy because he was prepared to pay all transaction fees, and after reading topics here I saw it as one of the "ways to recognize scam".

Last time when I was trading virtual good, I received money via western union, I collected money and then handled information. According to your post, wire transfer is not an option now, so I'd go with western union. My question is, will bank/western union agency ask for money return if I got paid from stolen credit card? I tried reading it about on their official pages but I couldn't find anything about that situation except how to avoid it.

Once again, thanks for assistance.