Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#219461 by TerranceBoyce Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:45 pm
Not your location but linguistic skills aren't meant to act as a GPS location system, but to match if someone suspected of lying about who they are and their background is confirmed by the way they use the English language. This applies to any language but English is the only language I know well enough to be able to do this, but English is the language most scammers use.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#219474 by vonpaso xlura Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 pm
I can often tell that someone is a native speaker of an Italo-Western Romance language by word choice, because I grew up speaking French and hearing Spanish. I and many others on this site can tell that someone is a native speaker of a Niger-Congo language or a Slavic language because we bait scammers, many of whom speak these languages (I know a fair bit of Russian, and in my encounter with a Russian romance scammer I switched the conversation to Russian because (s)he was using a machine translator and it was easier for me to write Russian with a dictionary than decipher the garbled translation). I guess from your username that you are Chinese, but I do not have enough experience with English written by Chinese, or with the Chinese language, to tell from your writing.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10