Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#219144 by Xiiao Qiian Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:27 pm
The Wire Transfer Order from Bank of Barclay's Online Banking has been Approved .
TRANSFER NUMBER :- SW1100345434KMS

We have received a TRANSFER ORDER placed by our Customer ( Mrs Cheng) have the sum of (RM5,650) transferred to you ( Tan Wen Qian ) as a payment for (item) and it has been successfully processed and has consequently been APPROVED .The financial details of the transaction are stated below:
Transfer Receipt Confirmation SW1100345434KMS

Order Status: APPROVED
Transfer Payments Order Available AVAILABLE
Date Placed 09/08/2014
Order Status TRANSFER CONFIRMED
Transfer Order Number SW1100345434KMS
Billing Information:
Transfer Status: WIRE TRANSFER CONFIRMED
Payment Method Visa Card/Cash
Card Number 4***********5643
Exp.. Date 12/2015
Name on Card Mrs Cheng Wenla
Street Address 27A Jaskson,s Point Ave L0E 1L0
City, State, Zip Toronto, Ontario
Country Canada
Services Purchased: Direct Transfer /Cash
Item Amount RM5,650
Transfer charges RM565
Total Amount transferred to seller RM6,215
Payment Status
Approved
Shipping Services EMS
Auction Site Auction
Item description Auction

Seller's Information:
Use our online Transfer to pay for online purchases, the companies / individuals you buy from all over the world. This is an important security feature and certainly is better than having your credit card number transmitted all over the Internet. Our Service is secure, and we screen our merchant accounts very closely in order to protect the sellers and the buyer

Thank you for using Online Banking System (Wire Transfer) As a Payments . We look forward to serving your online with better services in the future.
Your bank account will be activated with the money immediately you send the shipment details and has been verified.This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence check the above information if they are correct as entered by our numerous customer .If you are having any problem with it just contact the transfer department

Note:Your account will be credited immediately upon confirmation of the details required by us moreover our customer cannot abort the transfer after you might have sent the tracking number to us.

Yours sincerely,

Margaret Keane,
Executive Vice President
161 Bay St, Brookfield Place,P.O. Box 500 Toronto, Ontario
M5J 2S8 Canada
+19165121544
—————————————————————————————————————————

2nd email was about transfer is in process.
BUT the 3rd email is :

TRANSFER ORDER NUMBER SW1100345434KMS

Dear Valued Customer: Tan Wen Qian

We have Detected on Our System that the Transfer sent to you by Mrs Cheng has some Errors is an International Transfer from CANADA to Malaysia , So Due to this we have seen that we are Unable to Transfer/Activate the Payment to your account because the Amount sent to you is Not Sufficient/Low for the System to Transfer/Activate it to your account.

So we Have Contacted the Buyer ( Mrs Cheng ) to Make More additional payment for the total amount can be RM5,650 + 400 USD ) for us to Check and Activate it to your Account and she made the additional payment to you , You will need to send THE amount of 400 usd back to her through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER and scan us the receipt of Transfer that prove that you sent the money to her and once we got it,Also we want to let you understand that the buyer can not make the payment in any other way Because everything has been made and approved.

We will proceed with the remittance of the total amount of RM5,650 + 400 USD to your account immediately.So we Contact the Buyer ( Mrs Cheng ) to make the additional payment and she has made the additional payment, we will be sending you a mail to confirm that she has made the additional payment and you are expected to go and make the transfer to her immediately you got the email from us that confirm that she has made the additional payment of RM5,650 + 400 USD so that we can be able to Transfer the Money to your Account Once we receive the receipt of Transfer from you.We shall also contact your buyer about it cause the additional transfer is needed urgently.

NOTE : here is also the details of how it will be made

1.) Buyer made the additional payment .
2.) Once additional payment has been made,we will send you an email.
3.) Once we send you an email, you will need to go and send the 400 Usd back to your buyer first through Western Union Money Transfer
4.) You will scan us the receipt of Transfer that proves that you send the money to your buyer
5.) Once we got the receipt, we will proceed with the remittance of your funds immediately.

We will like you to know that all these are done just to make sure things are sort out as scheduled,we will not like the situation whereby your money will be delayed and we are sure you can also adhere with us and follow the procedure given to us from the Transfer department to make things happen faster and easier.This is to certify you once again that there is 100% maximum guarantee on your payment,and we are very sorry for the inconveniences.

Note:Your account will be credited immediately upon confirmation of the details required by us moreover our customer cannot abort the transfer after you might have sent the Western Union receipt to us.
Last edited by Xiiao Qiian on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#219149 by AlanJones Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm
It is a scam - no legitimate business would ask you to send someone an overpayment back by Western Union.

Please post all the email addresses that the scammer is using.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#219151 by AlanJones Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:47 pm
Xiiao Qiian wrote:From: Barclay's Bank ([email protected])

This is a free email address - not something a real bank would use.

No money has been sent to you, they just want you to send the "overpayment" to them by Western Union and will then disappear with your money.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#219153 by Xiiao Qiian Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:53 pm
alright. Luckily the parcel was returned today by custom 8)
Is this an advanced fee fraud?
I've called to UK Barclays customer service department and also mail to the real internethelp of Barclays which i search on the official website. There is NO MIN LIMIT of transfer abroad.

but from the email above, the amount of transaction is "not sufficient / low" . :evil:
Impossible a amount of RM5600 still not yet over the min limit.
#219156 by Dotti Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:11 pm
Just because a scammer made up a number and called it a transfer code does not make it real. Scammers make up codes, or sometimes even copy real codes from different transactions just to fool people.

As Alan has already pointed out, addresses from consultant.com are free addresses. They are just like gmail addresses. NO legitimate business uses one of these addresses. They are used by scammers to try to make their scams look more legitimate. Email addresses for Barclay's bank end in @Barclays.com

Even if I did not see the email address and the completely wrong explanation of how banks work (including the whole fake minimum transfer requirement), the English would have told me it was a scam. It's not going to be obvious to someone whose first language is not English, but the scammers' English is terrible and it is quite obvious that English is the not the scammer's first language. No email message from Barclay's would be that poorly written.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#219172 by Dotti Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:18 pm
There are millions of honest people in Nigeria, Ghana, and other countries referenced here in the forum. The problem is, it's the dishonest minority that are hanging out on classified sites trying to steal from sellers.

In reality, when you are selling online, you should be extremely suspicious if a potential buyer does any of these things:

-Ask you to ship an item out of the country
-Offer you more than you asked for the item
-pay you more than the item is worth and asking you to forward part of the money anywhere (ALWAYS assume this is a scam.)
-tell you that paypal is holding your money until you provide proof of shipment
-refer you your product as "item" instead of by name
-start with an excuse why they can't talk on the phone
-claim to be an oceanographer at sea (this is always a scam)

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#219184 by Xiiao Qiian Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:22 pm
I had came across some news from google, somethings about 419 scam also called as nigerian scam.
I would like to know is that. transfer department will never hold the payment once the sender has been sent? It's all nonsense about have to scan shipping code before process?
#219185 by TerranceBoyce Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:24 pm
Two other things Xiiao Qiian. Barclays Bank don't operate a branch bank network in Canada although they do have offices there, which act for corporate clients and in respect of large investments. They wouldn't be involved in small value payments with letters/emails sent by an Executive Vice President.

Also, any payment would be sent using the SWIFT electronic payment system used by virtually every international bank and, once a payment is authorised and released (the correct terminology) the payment goes and will be received by the beneficiary. It cannot be authorised and then held. This is a favourite imaginary idea used by West African scammers. A payment is sent or it isn't There isn't any halfway situation.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#219186 by Xiiao Qiian Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm
Luckily i've called the bank and mail to internethelp@barclays.
This will be a very useful experience next time.
Actually this morning the scammer send me a wechat msg was about to change the receiver details.
This is my replied msg.
(You dont have to bank in to me already and better you go to "bank" and settle it.
Since I do not receive any payment now and the parcel already returned.
Custom is not allowed via pos laju. Maybe nowadays there are so much cases of 419 scam, I guess you know about it for sure.
As the police officer advice, I will only send out 2nd time after I receive full payment.
I've called uk Barclays department and also [email protected]
There is NO min limit for transfer abroad. So it is impossible the bank ask for advanced fee.
Unless that is an advanced fee fraud.
I will only send out the parcel 2nd time via other shipping company after I receive full payment and not I am the one sending money out.
Thank You.)

Untill now never get reply :P :P
#219192 by vonpaso xlura Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:30 pm
The English in the email is West African. As Dotti said, there are millions of honest people in Nigeria, so if someone claims to be in Nigeria and writes like a West African, it is not a red flag. But if someone claims to be in Canada and writes like a West African, it is a red flag.

I have dealt with an honest Nigerian in England. His writing does not stand out as Nigerian, but his name does. If someone claiming to be in England/Canada/Australia/USA has writing that looks Nigerian but a name that looks English, be suspicious (especially if the first and last names are mixed up).

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#219281 by TerranceBoyce Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:44 am
It's very difficult Xiiao Qiian unless you are a native speaker of any language to detect someone who is an imposter or someone who is pretending to be someone they aren't. This isn't just peculiar to the English language. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and even the use of capital letters and sentence structure, as well as technical knowledge and particular phrases that may be fashionable. I am English born and I can spot English that a person may have learned in a foreign school abroad. I can understand it perfectly well but it tells me more about the person than he may realise.

West African and Nigerian writers are usually quite easy to spot unless they have spent a lot of time in the UK. Another amusing thing is that people often use what I term 'phonetic spelling', meaning that they spell words the way that they pronounce them, and the Nigerian accent is very strong, and when words are spelled how a Nigerian would say them it's very obvious. They also have some very common ways of forming sentences which stands out very obviously when they impersonate educated people.

The subject is very interesting but we don't state what these errors are otherwise scammers will use these forums to improve their writing and become better scammers.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle