Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#164968 by valkiria Thu May 09, 2013 9:57 pm
HI! guys, i can see the post star on 2010 and the last post was last year, but i have to tell that the fraud is still going on, i just got the same mails, i was selling a motorcicle on mercadolibre.com.mx (ebay for latinamerica) and just got the same mail but he is telling me he is a military, but the exact words on the mails you show he is telling me, so i got curious, 'cause i never make dealings to stranger unless google tells me it's clen :P lol so watch out, the guy stills doing it, he is using again his name Andrew Smith email [email protected] BE CAREFUL PLEASE!!!!!
Advertisement

#165956 by MikeTamworth Thu May 16, 2013 12:17 pm
This scam has been ongoing for a hell of a long time. I put my roadbike up for sale on the 15th of May 2013 and was contacted by someone called Andrew Smith ( [email protected] ). To begin with it seemed convincing enough for me to build some sort of dialogue with him. But when he demanded that I send money by Western Union to Nigeria in Africa in order for my funds to be released I became suspicious and ended all communication with him.

I have since received an email from someone claiming to be from Paypal ( which is also fraudulent ) I contacted Paypal and they have said they would never send out emails like this one, never demand money and would never advise its customers to part with any goods without first receiving payment.
#166999 by BrianPennington Mon May 27, 2013 5:07 am
Hello,

Gerald Dawson [email protected] sent me this email today concerning my Saab.

Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my brother-in-law. I am at the sea at the moment as I am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone call and visiting of websites are restricted but I just have to squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise package for my brother-in-law so I won't let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insist on PayPal as my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, so I will need you to get back to me with your PayPal email address and your final price as I am not good at offering so I can make the payment for the car asap. Please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, log on to www.paypal.com and get it set up. After you have set it up, I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick up the car after I must have made the payment for the car and funds available in your account.

My Regards.

Scambag is still running his con

Brian
#167233 by alienspaces Wed May 29, 2013 1:39 pm
I've just been scammed out of £860 by this scumbag. I should have known better really. Autotrader.co.uk/Western Union scam. Check to make sure the PayPal emails are really from PayPal. I've discovered by looking at the original email text, which is usually hidden from view by email providers like Gmail (because it's a lot of text), that some of the email addresses this douche is using are:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I don't think the consultant.com address is an account he has access to, but certainly is using the others.
#167766 by k33rai Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:10 pm
THIS GUY HAS NOTHING TO DO ! SPAM HIS BIG FORE-HEAD ... ;-)

What is your PayPal full name used for the registration? I need to confirm before transferring funds now.

It is :[email protected] :evil:

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Gerald Dawson <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

Good to read from you. I will be transferring funds to you now and as soon as the funds is successfully transferred and confirmed, I will get you updated so that you can check your PayPal email id for the payment notifications. Meanwhile, after you must have received the funds, my shipper who is also a motor trader will be coming for the car pick up and will sign every necessary document needed as I will instruct him. Please decline/reject other offer and consider me as the right buyer of the car.

My Regards.

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:03:03 +0100
Subject: Re: Enquiry

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am ready to buy it now as a birthday gift for my brother-in-law. :twisted: I am at the sea at the moment as I am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone call and visiting of websites are restricted but I just have to squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise package for my brother-in-law so I won't let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I insist on PayPal as my mode of payment because I don't have access to my bank account online and also, I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account. I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, so I will need you to get back to me with your PayPal email address and your final price as I am not good at offering so I can make the payment for the car asap. Please if you don't have a PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, log on to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up. After you have set it up, I will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick up the car after I must have made the payment for the car and funds available in your account.

My Regards.
#167769 by TerranceBoyce Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:33 pm
Presumably he won't get a chance to send a Paypal either - a real one I mean.

When the buyer starts dictating terms he's setting you up, especially when it comes with a nicely worked out and implausible story.

Tell him that ebay alerted you that he was spam responding to ads. :lol:

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#169376 by custardthehedgehog Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:13 pm
And another for the archive and to warn the wary that google addresses.... scam.

[email protected]

Thank you for getting back to me.
Please assure me that it's in
good condition and that i will not be
disappointed with it.I'm ready
to pay your asking price and to be
honest I am buying this for
myself,but the issue is i am s I am a
marine engineer and I am at base
right now But I'm able to access email
anytime as we will make use of
laptop so my only quickest payment
option is PayPal as i can send
money via PayPal anytime. Since I'm
requesting this transaction to be
done via PayPal, i will be responsible
for all the Paypal fee/charges
on this transaction and if you don't
have an account with Paypal, its
pretty easy, safe and secured to open
one. Just log on to
www.paypal.com . I hope we can make
the purchase as fast as possible? I
have a mover that will come for the pick
up once payment clears and they will
be handling the title for me. So i look
forward to hear from you soon.
Get back to me with your information:
1) Are you the owner?
2) Full Pick up location?
3) is there any other problems with the
item not mentioned?
4) PayPal e-mail account for payment?
5) home address?
Thank you.
#169377 by Bryon Williams Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:19 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners custardthehedgehog,

Thank you for posting the email address and script the scammer used. This will surely help others avoid his scam attempts.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#173534 by munkee Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:10 am
Hi All,

Just signed up to post this. I have had around 15 emails over the liftetime of my advert on autotrader from various gmail addresses.

Here is the latest:
Hello,
I am glad to inform you that i am satisfied with the details and conditions of your car on the advert.Please, i wont be able to inspect the car due to some personal reasons.

Presently,i am in Italy for an assignment and am planing to relocate to Singapore. i will travel down to UK and complete the transaction.Firstly, i will like you to please put off the advert to avoid interruptions from other interested buyers and count it sold.

Concerning the price and my terms of payment,i will be glad to pay you £15500.00.

I will send you a Bank cheque of £4800.00 which i will allow it to clear into your bank account .

You will deduct £1100.00 as a non-refundable deposit.

The remaining £3700.00 on the deposit will be sent to the shipping agent asap the cheque cleared into your bank account. I was informed by him that, he will need the funds for shipping in advance .The shipping agent needs to complete the shipping document and book a slot at the seaport before i will be traveling down to UK.i don't want to be delayed in UK due to present situation.i am trying to relocate to Singapore.I would have love to send the payment alone and get the extra issue out to the haulage company but it takes longer to get UK payment cash elsewhere and would cause delay in transaction as i believe we both don't want any delay in the transaction.

The remaining balance of £14600.00 will be payed to you by cash or bank transfer before the car can be pick up.i will be waiting for 48hrs for you to confirmed the balance before the shipping agent can pick it up .Let me know the best way you want the balance to be paid?

i will be using a local haulage company agent to come and collect it from your location as they would be collecting some other items for me asap the balance has been confirmed by you .It will be shipped to SINGAPORE.the reason for this shipment method is due to congestion at the Singapore seaport, which does not make it directly shippable there.

I will compensating you with £100 for the time involve in paying the shipping agent and also for you to withdraw the advert immediately you receive the deposit.

If you accept my terms of payment,get back to me with the NAME,ADDRESS AND CONTACT MOBILE TELEPHONE NUMBER for Bankers cheque to be delivered to you .I look forward to a successful transaction with you and await your urgent response.

PLEASE NOTE,ITS WHEN THE FULL PAYMENT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY YOU BEFORE THE DOCUMENT WILL BE RELEASE TO ME AND SIGN

Tommy
+447035955287

Email address for the abover is: [email protected]

I will now list a number of other email addresses he has tried to catch me out with:
Customer Details:
NAME: MR Darren
TELEPHONE:
EMAIL: [email protected]

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: BMW
MODEL: 5 SERIES
PRICE: ?15895

if you still have the car please email me back

Received: 25 July 2013 16:04

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Mol
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:

Received: 31 July 2013 15:10

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Richard chypher
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:

Received: 2 August 2013 10:09

Customer Details:
NAME: MR richard cole
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:

The email below actually tried to get my username/password via phishing scam.

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Fred
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:

Hello, can we meet today? I would like to see the car.
Thanks!

I replied giving him my # to call and let me know when/where etc.. and received:

Thank you for getting back to me.
I'm looking at several cars at the moment, and I have lost track of which one yours is! Could you please let me know if this is your car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 400293884/

Thank you.
Fred

Aside from the email address being very suspicious and running it through google brought back nothing (usually get atleast a facebook page etc) I noticed the web address that the hyperlink was sending me too wasn't the same as the text displayed (I have removed the fake one from the above quote just incase). Looking at the source code of the email:

<http://web-login-secure-post-ad-675654435357643543754.com/Sign%20in%20%20%20Auto%20Trader%20UK.htm>

The guy has a website which has cloned the front page of autotrader. Exact replica. I did a bit more digging and checked the code behind the "login" form and it submits your username/password to his email address.

Great scam if you aren't looking for it so be aware!
#175981 by fiddleyourselfnotme Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:20 am
Thanks Munkee. I have just received an email from [email protected] with exactly the same text as you outlined...

Customer Details:
NAME: MR Fred
TELEPHONE:

Vehicle Details:
MAKE: MAZDA
MODEL: MAZDA3
PRICE: ?14500

Hello, can we meet today? I would like to see the car.
Thanks!

Luckily I found your post so will not fall for this one this time.
#177632 by timmymorley Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 pm
Hi Guys,
new to this forum but would just like to let you all know as mentioned earlier in this thread there is still an auto scammer about in Australia named ' Michael Seay '.

I had my car for sale on Gumtree and everything seemed legit. Im normally pretty aware of this type of thing so wasnt sure what to think when he asked for my paypal or bank account details to complete payment without even physically seeing the vehicle.
I gave my bank details and thats when things got dodgy. wanting to make payments with western union and not answering any vital questions i had for him.

The email address used is [email protected] .

Here is what i received yesterday:
"Thanks for mailing back, I'm ok with the price and the condition i work on a rig as a mechanical engineer i would have love to call but We do not have access to phone at the moment that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility,I'm buying it for my vacation
Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,OR you can alternatively send your bsb and account number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply."

Then today:
"I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the
pick up, my pick up agent says i will need to pay for the
pick up before they can schedule a pick up time, they
charged me $950 for pick up and delivery, and payments
for pick up made through them is made to their corporate
international headquarters which is in CHINA
and the payments is made through western union money
transfer, i will add the $950 to the money i will send
through paypal as soon as i have made the payments, i will
email you and let you know and please i will need you to
help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in CHINA
through western union money transfer, this can be done
from any post office ,there is always western union money
transfer section in most post offices(you can do it online as
well at (http://www.westernunion.com)...,i would have done it
myself but i can't because I didnt bring my credit card
aboard, i am a little incapacitated.I will appreciate your help here"

Everyone please be aware of this scammer!! hopefully putting his name in here will keep this up the top of google search if this happens to anyone else and they decide to do what i did and try find some background info!
Thanks, Tim

Added quotation. (BW)
#177634 by Bryon Williams Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:42 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners timmymorley,

Thank you for updating this thread. It will surely help others avoid his scam attempts.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/