Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#3896 by John DeLaney Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:51 pm
Here is the standard set of emails used by craigslist scammer John O Smithson.

Look for the spelling mistakes, the grammatical errors, and the obvious give away that this is a scam in the later emails, where a mistake by a 3rd party has an overpayment sent, with a refund by WU or Moneygram requested

Hi,

Let me knw if this item still available for sale?

Good Day...

Am reaply intrested in this item and am located in Portland OR ,and i will be preparering to make the payment by{MoneyOrder/Check} i don"t mind adding exra $50 so you can keep me in mind for the moment the payment will arrived.

I need your full,NAME,ADDRESS,STAT,ZIPCODE,CITY, your contact phone # so i can know where the payment should be sent to.

And about the shipping you dont need to worry about that because i have an account with Global Express Shipping Cargo. .

Thanks and hope to here from you as soon as possible....

God Bless...

Kindly pls provide your area zipcode with the address you sent...payment will be out soon.
Thanks

How is your day going? i hope you are fine and alright. There is something i think i must bring to your notice. After a reconciliation of my account, i discovered that somehow my assistant must have over paid you. The payment that was meant for another transaction was sent to you and the one meant for you was sent to another, however i want to believe i wont have a problem with you.All you have to do is to cash the check at your bank when you receive it get your required amount ,and send the balance to the shipping company.It is the policy of the shipping company to recieve payment before going for any pickup.You have to please bear with me as it is the best i can do in this transaction.The shipping company will contact you in good time.Please feel free to ask me questions.payment should arrive this comming week.

Regards.
John O Smithson

Thanks for mailling,the payment will be arrive soon,so just email me immediatly you get it.

Hello ,
Sorry for the late response,You will receive the payment through regular mail this week,I'll get in touch with the Moving company concerning pickup and they told me to get words with you, as when you will be available for them to effect pickup after they have receive their funds.They gave me their information that will enable the fund gets to them via Money Gram below is the informations where you will send the funds to.All you have to do is to get the CHECK cashed at your bank instantly,remove the cost of your item and the extra i offered,then have the rest balance sent to the mover's informations below Via Money Gram.

Below is the informations to send the money Via Money Gram:

Receiver's Name : PAT HENRY
Receiver's City : KEYPORT
Receiver's State : NEW JERSEY
Receiver's Zip Code : 07735
After the transfer has been made,you will have to send me the following
informations about the transfer.

The Reference Number

Senders Name and Address

Total Amount you send

I will wait to hear from you upon receipt of this mail.
Thank you.
Best Regard...
John O Smithson

Most scams on auction sites involve overpayment, with fake or stolen cheques/money orders, or stolen credit cards.

John DeLaney
Advertisement