Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#30107 by nikodjt Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 pm
I am sure that this is another scam.... especially since I found the originating email address on your site. Looks like they are moving from romantic to auctions. Hopefully posting this here helps.

(EMAIL 1)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:19 PM
To: -Removed-
Subject: Re: 2006 Cadillac XLR

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope the product is in good mechanical condition.Your sincerity is something I see very necessary to appreciate.I am actually trying to get this item for my wife for her coming birthday.So I think its worth paying whatever the shipping charges will be just to put a laughter on her face for the day.so kindly get back to me with the total amount you wanted to sell this product for me.I will not be able to meet up with the cash and local pick up due to the nature of my work.I will however be needing your full contact address with your cell phone # so that I can forward it to my shipping agent who will be coming over there for the inspection and shipping. I will be very glad to make the payment asap through my PayPal Account as I am currently in military camp and I won't definitely be able to make it to my bank to make bank wires across to you. As to shipping, you need not to worry yourself about how the car will get to my wife as I will contact a shipping company who will handle shipping. I will however be needing your contact address to be able to get the shipping quote from the shipping company.Do get back to me asap with your PayPal Email address and Full name so that I can remit the payment asap.

(EMAIL 2)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 5:09 AM
To: -Removed-
Subject: Re: 2006 Cadillac XLR

Thanks for the mail...its very easy just log on to http://www.paypal.com and sign up an account with them and get back to me with the email address you used to register which is your paypal email address and i will transfer the fund as an instant cash to you and you can withdraw the money to your bank account or credit card instantly so kindly let me know if you re willing to do these
Advertisement

#30116 by Ralph Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:33 pm
Hi Nikodjt, welcome to Scamwarners.

Well spotted, yes, its a scam.

In this scam the scammer will send you a fake email from paypal that insists that the money has been paid, by checking with the real paypal you can confirm that there have been no such payments.

The scammer will have any number of excuses to try to explain why it doesn't appear on your account and strangely the scammer will often try to convince you that paying money via Western Union will fix the problem.

In reality, the only way to fix this problem is to ignore all emails of this kind, they are scams.

The scam described here is very similiar to this one viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5879&start=0

If you have any questions please feel free to ask
#30123 by Dotti Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:53 pm
Welcome!

As Ralph has already confirmed, this is definitely a scam.

The key part of this scam is this part right here:
I will however be needing your full contact address with your cell phone # so that I can forward it to my shipping agent who will be coming over there for the inspection and shipping

The scammer will "pay" for more than the item. You will be instructed to forward the excess money, most likely by Western Union, to the "shipper." The "shipper" is most likely the scammer himself or an accomplice.

As Ralph said, most likely you would receive emails that are supposedly from paypal, telling you that a payment has been issued to your account, possibly with some extra language about how Paypal is holding the money and it will be fully credited to your account once you provide proof of shipping. In reality, these emails are faked by the scammer, and the only money changing hands would be your money going to the "shipper."

On rare occasion, real money may be transferred to you through paypal. Once again you will be asked to forward a portion of that money to the "shipper" who is going to get the item. The catch in this scenario is that the scammer will be using an innocent person's phished or hacked paypal account--and once the victim realizes the money has been stolen and it is reported to paypal, the transaction will be reversed, and you will be out the money you sent.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#76662 by ottopilot Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:15 pm
Hi, I just got scammed by this guy too. He responded to my car for sale ad on craigslist. He asked for more info including pictures of the car. I sent him more info on the car, then he asked for my name, address and phone number so he could send me a check. I sent him my info (excluding my phone number) assuming he was in a nearby town. After about ten minutes, I decided to google his name and came up with your post. Just thought I'd add to it and update anyone interested about it.
#76663 by Helen Halper Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners, ottopilot!
I'm glad that you didn't lose any money to this scammer. :D
Would you please post the email address that he is using and his email to you?