Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#10867 by Arnold Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:19 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners.
The chances of the scammer being caught are virtually nil. Just another anonymous scammer working out of a Nigerian probably) Internet cafe.
He'll have tricked someone in your country to issue fake checks for him.

Advertisement

#10894 by Ralph Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 am
Hi Sylvia

Welcome to Scamwarners

As Arnold has suggested getting these people caught is no easy thing to achieve.

I have just done a search on a section of the script you posted which gives me this Click Here

By sifting through the results I found this email address [email protected] which comes up in results Here

Using an anonymous and untraceable email address I have sent the following

Thank you for the interest in my item.

I have been trying to sell it for weeks with little or no interest.

I am so glad you are willing to pay well above my asking price.

Please let me know how you intend on paying for the item

Regards

By doing so I may be able to gather an IP address, the gmail email addresses strips the IPs so we cant even find an approximate location with them, scammers are beginning to love Gmail but it does add a sense of fake to any email you receive.

If I get a reply I will post it up
#11335 by gsusinme4 Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:41 pm
Hi I'm Sharon,

Last week I was scammed by a Michael Harris, claiming to be in MA and using the same line, the twist was that I needed to send the money order to a Jerry Cathers in England who had sold him an item and he needed me to WU him the rest of the moneys. I can't believe I fell for it. I've been purchasing things from Craigs list for over 2 years now and this is the first time I had ever dealt with these types of things. The police cannot do much for me and now I owe my bank over $900.

Michael Harris' email was [email protected]. I cannot understand why, but I was taken.

Please learn from my mistake. God Bless!
#11337 by The Enchantress Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:54 pm
Hi and welcome to scamwarners Sharon. I am sorry to note you have lost money to this scammer.

However your posting this information will alert and save others from being scammed

Thank You for that. :=)

If you have any concerns or worries please post, we will be happy to advise and help in any way we can.

Basic Scamwarners advice http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5

Craigslist scam advice http://www.fraudguides.com/internet-craigslist-scams.asp

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#11340 by Holly Brown Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 pm
Sharon, thank you for posting your story here. Not only will it serve to alert others, as The Enchantress has said, it will serve as an object lesson for those who think they're "too clever" to be caught by a scammer. ;)

It doesn't matter how intelligent or savvy one is, there is always something that triggers the "go-along-with-it" gene in any one of us. The only defense is constant vigilance and, sad to say, refusing to trust anyone or take anything at face value.:(

[email protected] if you want to ask me more questions.