Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#6669 by Jillian Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:04 pm
Hi Sam! Glad you made your way here and thank you for adding to the thread. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
Advertisement

#6753 by Mazzy999 Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:59 pm
Hi there

Although it is well known that scamming is a profitable business, hearing personal stories of good people getting ripped off still angers me.

I'm interested in what else a site like Craigslist could do to support you and the community to avoid scams. I've been ripped off with non delivery a couple of times. I admit I'm not going to call and bother doing all the checking for items under say $100. But I've been close to getting ripped off.

I was interested in a cheapie Gumtree ad for a car $5000. Although everyone knows scams go on, I was suspicious mostly because the lad offered the 10 day trial thing or money back. I just don't believe that people are that nice to strangers. The car was about a third of the price and I love doing business via email so it all suited me. I swallowed the rest.The Gumtree warnings did not help at all. I got informed while waiting for the lad to get back to me by surfing the net for cars and falling onto scam warnings somewhere!! I could easily have been a victim at that stage also.

So the point to all the above rave is I'd like to know if you have any ideas on how the warnings could have been better presented. Some sites, serious about stopping fraud do listen to feedback..

Thanks for your info.
#7104 by antsyl Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 am
yeah, I got two from this guy. Is there any way to bust his ass? I havent received any fake payment from him
but, Im thinking it could be good to receive something and then turn it over to the bank or Police. I wonder if they could catch him. Its nuts that they cant catch guys like this, or dont want to.
Anyone have a plan? I caught him because he responded to two items I had on craigslist with the exact same message. Does he ever try to pick up the items or has anyone seen him in person.
#7106 by Ralph Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:10 pm
Hi Antsyl

Please dont have cheques sent to you, for this to occur you will need to give the scammer your address, something which we try very hard to discourage, you will be putting yourself and your family at risk by doing so.

Even if you did get a cheque and gave it to the police, there is little chance they will be able to do anything with it.

Many baiters from 419eater have scammers send them cheques on a regular basis but they never use their address for doing so, they use purpose created drop boxes where they can not be traced.

If you would like to learn more about that, please take a look at www.419eater.com and ask the members there to teach you how to bait safely
#7108 by Michelle Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:54 pm
antsyl wrote:Does he ever try to pick up the items or has anyone seen him in person.

A typical craigslist scammer has no intention of collecting the item that you are selling ...in fact he probably doesn't even know (or care) what you are selling, that is why they call most things an "item" or a "unit" so that they can just copy and paste from one scam to the next.

All he is after, is cash from you, from when you cash the fake cheque, and send most of it to him.

#7309 by TinaS Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:57 pm
I was just scammed by the Jerry Cather email... same exact template and everything. He just ruined my bank account, though I still have my car. If any one could please tell me what to do or help out and anyway I will be forever thankful. I will NEVER use craig's list agian
#7311 by The Enchantress Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 pm
TinaS

Firstly, I am very new to advising people, though not to scammers and their ways. OK take a deep breath and lets think the situation through.

Can you perhaps post more details, including mails and let us know exactly what real life information of yours that this scammer has? This site has many experts willing to aid you and advise you how best to proceed.

Secondly, get in contact with your bank ASAP, explain what has happened, change your account details, print off your mails and show them the situation.

Thirdly, inform your local police force, they may do nothing but at least they will record what has occured.

Lastly, tell all your friends and local community to be on the lookout for scams just like this.

<reach out to give you a big hug>

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#7486 by TinaS Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:15 pm
Thank you,

I had notified the police, and they told me it was the banks responsibility, and that the bank shouldn't have taken the money orders in the first place, because money orders cannot be made over $500.

The bank I dealt with was extremely unhelpful, they sent me from person to person and I was told a myriad of things...including telling me my bank account was to be closed and I owed the $1900. I finally went to a local branch and they figured everything out. Since I had requested the money orders be put on hold until they cleared, I was fine.

Jerry Cather emailed me again a few days ago with a very pushy email asking if the money went through yet. I informed the scammer that I had notified the police and that he isn't to contact me again.

I will receive the counterfeit money orders from the bank in a few days, which I will forward to the authorities and hopefully something will be done. I can post a picture of them if that is ok, so that others know what to look for.

I did save every email he wrote me, I can post some of those too.
#7487 by TinaS Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 pm
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:55:34 -0800
Subject: RE: '92 Mazda Protege- Great Condition - $600 (College Park, MD) Reply to:
To:

Hi,
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I would have loved to come take a look but i am presently out of town on an assignment.I will not be back in town soon. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor,Please send me some pictures.I hope it is in good condition.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.I will let you know how i intend to go about the pick-up.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.

Sent: Sat 1/10/09 4:30 AM
To:
Hi,

Thanks for your mail,i cant really say when i will be back to state at the moment because am really busy with my assignment,i would have give you a call at the moment due to were i am right now,i am in a rural area right now,they dont make phone calls were except internet,i will want you to send me your full name and address were the money order can be mail too and also i want you to feel free an ask me any question..i will return your mail asap.

Sent: Sun 1/18/09 6:27 AM
To:
How is your day going?the money order will be from the bank I have made an agreement with a shipping company to come pickup the item as soon as you receive the payment.I would like you to do a little act of kindness for me.I want the item to be shipped to Benin cos am presenting it as a gift to an old time friend.I will be sending you money orders for $1900;this includes the shipping cost and extra fixed cost by the shipping company.All you have to do is to cash the money orders at your bank,get your required amount for the item, and send the balance to the shipping company. It is the policy of the shipping company to receive payment before going for any pickup.You have to please stand with me, as it is the best I can do in this transaction. The shipping company will contact you in good time.Please feel free to ask me
questions.
Thanks

Sent: Mon 1/26/09 6:29 PM
To:
Hi,

How are you doing today,i am very sorry for the delay of my payment,i have a serious problem about few weeks ago,my mum has a serious accident which i need to run around to save her life but unfortunately she died,but i have just made and arrangement for my assistant to mail out the money order to you today so you will receive 4-5working days time,i want you to please update me once the money order arrive so i can tell you hat to do next..sorry once again for the delay of my payment.

Sent: Fri 1/30/09 7:50 PM
To:
Hi,

How are you doing today,i will like to know if you have receive my payment by now because i believe you should have receive it by now..i will like you to update me once you receive it so i can tell you what to do next.Hope to hear from you soon.

NOTICE?
Sent: Sat 1/31/09 3:07 PM
To:
Hello

We are contacting you inrespect to the transaction between you and Mr Jerry Cather.We will be responsible for the packing and shipping of the item he bought from you.He has provided your address where the (92 Mazda Protege) is to be picked up.Please check the following information's below.

SHIP FROM
ADDRESS

SHIP TO
67 Shemitez rd
COTONOU
BENIN

We are expecting your swift response.

Thanks for your Co-orperation.

General Manager
ARASH JOHN HARRY

Let me know...?
Sent: Thu 2/12/09 2:18 PM
To:
How are you doing today,i want you to check your bank and see if the money order has clear by no because i believe it will have clear.i want you to also get back to me the specific date for the pickup.
#7503 by The Enchantress Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 pm
TinaS

Thank you very much for posting this information. I have no doubt that other potential victims will read your story and avoid being scammed and that you will have played an important part in saving them a heap of trouble.

I am sorry you had to suffer the hassle and were treated initially so poorly by the bank, but glad you acted smart and didn't lose money. If you wish to post please mark them as fake so that they cannot be of any use if someone should copy the image.

Glad the scammer got the message, but be on your guard for any other scam attempts and please spread the word to all your friends and neighbours to always be wary and wise.

<big hug>

And thank you again.

#7639 by The Enchantress Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:42 pm
TinaS

Thank you for posting this up. I am certain it will help others and will prevent more victims falling into scams from this guy. I am glad everything worked out fine in the end and that your nightmare is now over.

#8461 by llsando Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 am
What an ass he is! I posted an ad on CL in the personal and this is what he posted!
CAN YOU WORK WITH ME?

Hi,
I want someone that is trust worthy and willing to devote at least 5 hours per week to working for me. I have a difficulty in sending out payments to my various clients on Ebay. So i want someone i could send bulk payment to in form of money orders and check and you dispatch them in bits to individual sellers.
The medium of sending out payment is through regular mails.I will pay a total of $400 per month and could be payed in two sections. $200 in two weeks and anotherin another two weeks.After receiving the package, I will send you names and addresses of where to mail the payments to. I will be an advantage if you have a webcam so i could direct you e ffectively on how to fill out the payments.
Please get back to me with your name and phone number and a letter of acceptance telling me you are ready to work for me.
Waiting to read from you.

Hi ,
It's good to get your response. Please let me know the following informations:

Full Name
Address
City
State
Zipcode
Country
Contact phone number

I will appreciate some level of privacy so we can work effectively without distraction. Please let me know as soon as possible so we can comence work.
Do you have a yahoo account? Please i need you to have one so we can chat and get to know of ourselves.
I will wait to read from you.

Sure glad I did not fall for this 1
#8466 by Clair Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm
Hi llsando, Welcome to Scamwarners. Good job in spotting the scammer. That is a typical check cashing job scam, he is offering you there. Can you please post up the name he is using and email address, etc.
#10860 by Sylvia Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:18 pm
Thanks to everyone who has posted a warning of this person and the scam! As tempting as it is to get evidence (via his fraudulent checks), I don't want to give out my address. Thus, here is a copy of his email. Again, it was on Craigslist in response to a large children's toy I'm selling.

His initial email was simple:

Jerry Cather ([email protected]
Sent: Sat 6/20/09 6:22 PM
To: [email protected]

Still Forsale?

This morning I received another message:

Sent: Sun 6/21/09 6:55 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Regards
Jerry