Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#4205 by John DeLaney Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:33 am
In progress, I'll edit and add later as I receive more info.

Edit: I've had 3 emails from Craigslist sellers, it seems Alicia is also starting to scam on craigslist, I only have the initial email, similar to the one John O Smithson uses.

edit: This is the usual overpayment scam, he (despite the name, this is a man in Nigeria) usually sends a cheque for $3,000 over the due amount, from what I've been told, the cheques are of poor quality, and the bank normally refuses them, how ever, if you do deposit them, you will be liable for any money drawn on it, and possibly liable for criminal charges for presenting a counterfeit or forged cheque.

edit: I believe that the name Alfred Morrison may be used on the cheques or money order

edit: I now have 2 different initial emails, both of these are currently in use.

Thanks for the response to my mail, i'm from the ENGLAND,i'm looking to relocate to US for my education and jobs,cos i'm an artist and also do some writing,looking to further my education and get new job opportunities,My job will be based on contracts so i do not have to go to work all the time,I will only need to go to work 3 times in a week and have to look for a school i will be going on a part-time basis,to enable me get my degree,my uncle who is sponsoring my education in the US will be the one responsible for the payment of the rent of the place,pls let me know the actual amount to be paid for the first month with all utilities inclusive and the mode of payment, So, i think we will get along well because am a easy going person who respects others privacy,like i said i dont do drugs or smoke,pls get back at me asap,
thanks

for familiarization I Am Alicia Hogan, I am 31 yrs of age, a British citizen, married to a lovely man, with a daughter (Family staying over in the UK), I work with ( Kingsbridge Risk Solutions (UK) Ivy house,8 - 10 High Street,Twyford,READING,RG10 9AE), as a loss adjuster agent, I am a Christian, reserved in Nature, Non smoker also i don't keep pets.

I look forward to meeting you and hope to have a good relationship as a tenant with you.

I await the details.
you can reach my at this number +44 70111 32553
Below is my present landlords information for reference :

Dr.Joseph Williams.
34,TIVOLI GARDEN SE185PD
UNITED KINGDOM
EMAIL:[email protected]

Regards.

Alicia Hogan
Mayer Collection
William Brown Street
Liverpool L3 8EN

edit to add: I emailed her reference quoted above and received this response

Dear Williams,

According to what you have written to me,Mrs Hogan Has been my tenant for the past 4yrs now and she has always be a good person and also pay up her rent,to my greatest surprise she pay two to three days before rent expires,which make me to like her for her sincerity and attitude towards me.

She is a very responsible woman ,she devoted her time for her family,i notice this from her attitude anytime am home over the weekend,she has never make any argument 4 years. They occupied a flat in my apartment and she is a faithful person to me as well.Mostly am not always around, so she take care of most things around the premises,am sure you will never regret renting out your apartment to her and her family,Thanks so much for this short mail you sent to me.Have a nice and wonderful day ahead.

Thanks,

Dr. Joseph

Thanks so much for the mail.
I really do appreciate the breakdown details. I'll be so glad if you can reserve the rent for me and remove the advert from Ad site as i'll love to rent the place. And please tell me if i can ever consider the rent as mine. plz i will like to know more details and i really need a condusive,comfortable and nice place to stay.

Please Confirm this and provide
1.your name
2.your address
3.your telephone

for the payment to be delivered to you via courier service.

Pls get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that we can round things up in a timely fashion.you will email me a copy of the reciept after payment as been recieved.i will like to see some pics of the rent if available and let me know the nearest airport to you so i could know my estimate.

Thanks and God Bless.
Warmest Regards From
ALICIA

i am intrested in the $500,pls let me know how i can go about the payment asap

How are you doing today? I want you to know that the deal is on and according to my Secretary she has posted your payment already and you will have it anytime from now,but there was a little problem which i guess we can handle with understanding when i contacted my secretary to know maybe the check as already been sent,i got to know that there was a misinterpretation while sending the check according to the instruction i gave her,she was suppose to have send you a check of the actual amount, but instead she sent a check payment of ($3000) higher than the actual amount. It was a terrible mistake and the check is already out for delivery to your location before i was alerted about this,

but i guess she didn't get it straight,so please i wouldn't like this to disturb our transaction as the deal is still on and what will happen is that once you get the check you should please take it to the your bank and cash it immediately. You then deduct a 100 dollars for all the trouble i have put you through during the course of this transaction as well as for your running around ad the bank charges for cashing the check,so that you can then wire the excess fund to traveling agent via western union money transfer that sameday. It was her intention to collect the money and send it to my traveling agent so that he can arrange for my flight ticket,i guess i can count on you that you can handle this with trust and have the excess money wire to my traveling agent

Please do mail me back immediately to let me know that i can count on you to handle everything with care. I will be expecting your mail as soon as possible thank you.
Best Regards and Have a Great Day ahead!!!

edit: You can expect to get this if you refuse payment by cheque or money order. Again, once you have transferred the money from your bank account, the deposit at their end will be cancelled,

good day to you,
i am indeed sorry for the delay in payment for the accomodation as i want the apartment of 700usd but i will not be making payment in check anymore i want to make payment through wire transfer so i need you to send me your bank information (including bank address) so that i can wire the funds into the account that you will provide so i will be sending payment excesss of the amount of the rent which is 700usd why it is like that is because my dad is payinf for the rent so he is sending me the money for my extra furniture so all you need to do when you recieve payment into your account is to deduct your 700usd and send the rest to my agent and i will tell you how to send it to him so that he can conclude some purchases for me i expect your immediate response to this mail with the requested bank informations for payment to be made.
regards
alicia hogan

edit:
good day to you,
i am indeed sorry for the delay in payment for the accomodation as i want the apartment but i will not be making payment in check anymore i want to make payment through wire transfer so i need you to send me your bank information (including bank address) so that i can wire the funds into the account that you will provide so i will be sending payment excesss of the amount of the rent why it is like that is because my dad is payinf for the rent so he is sending me the money for my extra furniture so all you need to do when you recieve payment into your account is to deduct your and send the rest to my agent and i will tell you how to send it to him so that he can conclude some purchases for me i expect your immediate response to this mail with the requested bank informations for payment to be made.
regards
alicia hogan

edit. If you receive a bank transfer, it will be from a fake cheque that has been deposited by an accomplice, or someone believing they are working for a company making payments. The cheque will be fake, the payment will be cancelled, the innocent person depositing the cheque will in all likelyhood be arrested, and you will be liable for any money withdrawn

For how how cheque mules and fake cheque mailers operate, see the thread in this forum

John DeLaney
Advertisement

#7591 by castonplace Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:38 pm
I have just received a similar email as follows:

[i]Good Day ,
> Thanks for the details on the Property, I am satisfied and will
> like to go ahead with the renting process, I will like you to go ahead
> and reserve the property for me.
>
> So I will be needing the following informations so that the check for
> payment of the deposit $800 can be processed and posted to you soon.
>
> Name:............
> Address:.............
> Phone number(cell and land):............
>
> I want the 12 month lease to start on the 28th febaury 2009, I will also
> want to notify you that I have in the mean time arrange with an interior
> decorator who will be handling the purchase of furnitures, entertainment
> system and other appliances that I will need in the property, they
> will as well be incharge of moving down my luggages down to the states. So
> the check of $2500 will be sent over to you which is a relocation
> grant by my employer, and all you need to do is deduct the deposit $800
> and you will forward the rest to the Decorators so I can have the place
> all prepared for my arrival. All applications and lease will be signed
> as soon as I arrive.
>
> Also for familiarization I Am Sam mike I am 45 yrs of age, a
> British citizen, married to a lovely lady, with a daughter (Family staying
> over in the UK), I work with MMH Insurance Group (UK), as a loss
> adjuster agent, I am a Christian, reserved in Nature, Non smoker also i
> don't keep pets.
>
> I look forward to meeting you and hope to have a good relationship as a
> tenant with you.
>
> I await the details.
> you can reach my at this number +44 70457 29267
> Below is my present landlords information for reference :
>
>
>
> Dr Moreen Jane.
> 34,TIVOLI GARDEN SE185PD
> UNITED KINGDOM
> EMAIL:[email protected]
>
>
> Regards.
> sam
#7594 by Jillian Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 pm
Hi castonplace, thank you for taking the time to post this! It may help someone else who received it and searches the details. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners