Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#274513 by Martyb2298 Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:03 am
Hi, first post.

I received an e-mail a few days ago from [email protected], baabrams being the name on the e-mail. It said, can I talk to you? I replied, about?

I then receive a further e-mail 2 days later from [email protected] but this was a reply to my previous reply, from a Sgt. Charles Stanley.

I kinda worked out straight away, from the broken English this was not a legit e-mail.

I don't know who would fall for this but anyway, his e-mail was this.

Good Evening,

Compliments and I hope you are doing great. I personally made a special research on Internet address book and I came across your information. I am presently writing this mail to you from U.S Military base helmand Afghanistan hoping that you will assist me. There is absolutely going to be a great doubt and distrust in your heart in respect to this mail coupled with the fact that so many miscreants and mischief-makers who have taken possession of the Internet to facilitate their nefarious deeds, thereby making it extremely difficult to believe that any quest for assistance through the Internet is real or genuine making it difficult for persons who need help to get attention, recognition and assistance. Please I am sorry for disturbing you, but it will do you great, if you can just invest some little trust to what you are reading now because this will serve as a life changing event to you, so jot down today's date somewhere, because today is a day you will live to remember for the rest of your life shalom.

My name is Sgt. Charles Hansen Stanley, originally from Lake Jackson Texas USA. I am 47yrs old, I presently work in Support Company of 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Corps Afghanistan. I and some other high ranking Officers made some deal on oil business over there in Iraq before my exit to Afghanistan. The deal worth $132 Million United States Dollars and after we have all shared the money I later realize $25,000,000.00 (Twenty Five Million United States Dollars) which is my personal share of the deal, due to my status as a US Sergeant, I cannot be able to move this huge funds to my account in United States to avoid further interrogation or face any kind of probation by the U.S government and I packaged my own share in two consignment boxes and have sent it to the Red-Cross society, because there is no other way out to keep it with me here, so with the help of a German contact working with the UN here (his office enjoys some immunity) I was able to get the package out to a safe location entirely out of trouble spot. He does not know the real contents of the package, as I have deposited the consignment as a family treasure. Your acceptance to this would encourage me to send further information for us to proceed.

Furthermore, If my offer is of no appeal to you, delete this message and forget I ever contacted you. Do not destroy my career because you do not approve of my proposal. I believe that such opportunities only come ones way once in a lifetime. I cannot let this chance pass me by. For once I find myself in total control of my destiny. This chance won't pass me by. I ask that you do not destroy my chance, if you will not work with me let me know and let me move on with my life but do not destroy me. If you give me positive signals, I will give you the relevant details and initiate this process towards a conclusion. I send you this mail not without a measure of fear as to what the consequences, but I know within me that nothing ventured is nothing gained and that success and riches never come easy or on a platter of gold. Do not betray my confidence.

If you wish to proceed with this, please get back to me.

Respectfully,
Sgt. Charles H.Stanley.
US Army

Just thought I would let you guys know so the word is spread.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
Advertisement

#301584 by drspires Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:30 am
I just got one and I have to say ... this is so lame ... on so many levels.

The English was a bit better:
"My name is Sgt Charles Stanley. I am contacting you today regarding a very good business opportunity which I know will be very rewarding for the both of us. The information about this business is highly classified but I wish to know if you can be trusted and the information may be safe with you. Best regards."

...And sent via:
"Charles Stanley <[email protected]>"
...usa.net? Heavy. The usa probably cost an extra dime.

The claim is SGT (sergeant/E-5) and, according to some emails, 47 years old, as well as on airborne status ->ouch<-. When I left the military in 92, I was sergeant/E-5, promotable to E-6, and all of 36-years-old. I was also "grandfathered in" for the full 20, allowing me to reenlist for my final 6. You see, the Army has cut-off grades for its reuppers. Had I not attended a promotions board, I could not become promotable, and therefore I would have been ineligible for reenlistment for my full 20 years.

Complicated, but true. When I joined up in 76, we had career privates, folks who could do the full 20 years as an E-1, E-2, and E-3. When I left the military, a bit early (6 years) due to family matters, The 20-year soldier needed to be Staff Sergeant (E-6), or Sergeant (E-5P). After my departure, an E-5P (promotable) was no longer eligible for the full 20. I believe the mark was 16, then out the door.

This is only one of the many points that easily foil this attempt.

Unfortunately, the email arrived at a company unit, so I'm unable to run a trace on it.

If you really want to get into a verification conversation with the sender (and I would strongly advise against doing so), just a few military questions would prove the whole thing to be utterly bogus.

Cheers to all here ... not including Sgt. Charles Stanley.