Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#32628 by David Jansen Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:22 am
This is a next of kin scam, where the scammer wants you to believe you can get a part of a deceased person's fortune. In most cases the scammer is playing the rôle of a corrupt banker who wants to steal a deceased customers money with your help, for a share of the loot of course. If this was real, you would be helping a criminal to steal, but in this case the scammer will only steal your money by asking you to pay for made up fees to release the money to you. Don't fall for this scam!
CAN I TRUST YOU IN THIS DEAL?

"MR STEPHEN ADAMS" <[email protected]> [Add]
To:

Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2010 5:46 PM (1 day 16 hours ago)

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from compute2.internal (compute2.internal [10.202.2.42])
by store113m.internal (Cyrus v2.3.16-git-fastmail-5655) with LMTPA;
Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:24:45 -0400
X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.3
X-Spam-charsets: plain='Windows-1251'
X-Resolved-to:
X-Delivered-to:
X-Mail-from: [email protected]
Received: from mx2.messagingengine.com ([10.202.2.201])
by compute2.internal (LMTPProxy); Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:24:45 -0400
Received: from chinacost.net.cn (unknown [219.143.235.40])
by mx2.messagingengine.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0B3BA236
for <>; Fri, 9 Jul 2010 17:24:43 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from User [81.91.228.78] by chinacost.net.cn with ESMTP
(SMTPD-8.22) id A9FF059C; Sat, 10 Jul 2010 00:10:39 +0800
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Subject: CAN I TRUST YOU IN THIS DEAL?
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:46:50 +0100
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="Windows-1251"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Message-Id: <201007100012968.SM00364@User>
X-Truedomain-SPF: Fail
X-Truedomain-DKIM: None
X-Truedomain: Neutral

MY DEAR FRIEND,

I KNOW THIS WILL COME TO YOU AS A SURPRISE BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW ME.I AM MR STEPHEN ADAMS, I WORK IN THE ECO-BANK COTONOU,BENIN REPUBLIC OF WEST AFRICA, AUDITING AND ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT,I GOT YOUR CONTACT IN MY SEARCH FOR A HONEST PERSON THROUGH ONE OF MY COLLEAGUES HERE IN THE ECO-BANK WHO SAID THAT I CAN CONFIDE IN YOU.

I WANT YOU TO HELP ME CLEAR THIS BOX THAT IS ALREADY IN OVERSEAS WHICH I SHIPPED THROUGH OUR ECO-BANK ACCREDITED SECURITY COMPANY AGENT BUT THE CONTENTS OF THE BOX IS ($20,MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS) ALL IN $100.00 BILLS, BELONGING TO OUR LATE CUSTOMER WHO DIED EARLIER THIS YEAR, BUT THE SECURITY COMPANY DOES NOT KNOW THAT IT IS MONEY THAT MY LATE CLIENT HAVE IN THE BOX.

ALL I WANT YOU TO DO FOR ME NOW IS TO FORWARD TO ME THIS BELOW
INFORMATION,

YOUR CURRENT/PRIVATE MAILING ADDRESS
YOUR PRIVATE PHONE AND FAX NUMBER AND I HOPE THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY,YOU WILL HAVE 40% AND 60% WILL BE FOR ME AND MY COLLEAGUES.MY IDENTITY MUST NOT BE REVEALED TO ANYBODY.

IF THIS ARRANGEMENT IS OKAY BY YOU RECOMFIRM YOUR DELIVERY INFORMATION SUCH AS,

YOUR FULL NAME?
YOUR HOME ADDRESS?
YOUR COUNTRY?
YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER?
YOUR AGE?
YOUR OCCUPATION?

PLEASE EMAIL ME AT ( [email protected] ) FOR SECURITY REASONS OTHER MODALITIES WILL BE DISCUSSED AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK TO ME INCLUDING SENDING YOU THE CONSIGMENT BOX CODE NUMBERS TO OPEN THEM.

NOTE: COMMUNICATION SHOULD BE STRICTLY THROUGH E-MAIL OR PHONE FOR SECURITY REASONS.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,

MR STEPHEN ADAMS.
PHONE;+22993959153
E-MAIL; ( [email protected] )

IMMEDIATELY YOU RECEIVE THIS MAIL AND FEEL THAT YOU WILL ASSIST ME IN THIS MATTER, SO THAT WE CAN DISCUSS ON HOW TO GET THE CONSIGNMENT BOX OF MONEY DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS LET ME KNOW.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
Advertisement

#32641 by jolly_roger Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:49 am
Although Stephen Adams is not mentioned,the phone number is very interesting in the above email. re:+22993959153
It's the same number in the attached part-email here. Perhaps Stephen was using Pauls telephone? Could they be brothers? Operating from the same location?

"Please contact the Director, Foreign Operations Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Paul Martin,on his telephone number +22993959153 or Email: {[email protected]) with your Telephone, fax number and Bank details and copy of your international passport to enable us release your funds to your nominated bank account without further delay."

Can be found here, and is interesting reading.
Link to baiting related discussion removed - much of the information goes against the advice we give to those who are in the process of being scammed - Ralph
#32756 by Ralph Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:13 pm
The matching telephone numbers of course is not a huge surprise, scammers will often use the same phone number for multiple scams, you do wonder some times how they know who to be when they answer the phone but they do work it out.

Your link was indeed interesting however it does go against much of the advice we give here and in particular the main point of NOT contacting scammers, if / when any members wants to learn about scambaiting, then we caan tell them where eto find more information