Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#34653 by JaneD Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:45 pm
Hi.
This summer i am in correspondence with someone. It started like a romance. He found me at skype. We chatted few days, then he stated he is in love with me. At the beginning i didn't believe and was arguing with him. But he was persistant and romantic. He spoke about important things, like no one previously.Shortly he knew what to tell a woman to make her believe in everything. Then I checked in Google if there is some information about him. I was surprised to know he is a very famous person in the USA. I've never heard about him previously as I live far away.
I feel i was crazy and really stupid, cause "he" convinced me he is real. And i still doubt though the person wants to get some money from me.
After he sent me his request of money i became very angry and wanted to revenge somehow and decided to stay in contact with him and make him wasting his time and nerves talking to me. But now I feel drained.
I am scared to post here his email addresses and other contacts i have. And may be ashamed...
Advertisement

#34658 by Dotti Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:45 pm
Welcome Jane,

It certainly sounds like a typical scammer scenario. It's not uncommon for scammers to copy whatever names they come across--and we have seen many recent cases of scammers impersonating well-known, high-ranking American military men, both active and retired. The truth is if he really were a famous, successful American, he wouldn't need money from you.

He sounded convincing because he does this for a living. He knows what to say, because he has said it all before, and he is currently saying it to other victims too! Much of his romantic material is undoubtedly copied and pasted, but if you didn't know better you wouldn't have gone looking for it. You are not the first person to fall for a scammer, and you won't be the last, unfortunately. It is nothing to be ashamed of or feel stupid about. You were not aware of scammer tactics, so how would you recognize him?

As far as fear of posting his information goes, there is nothing to be afraid of. Chances are, he is in Africa or Malaysia, and he is never going to be anywhere near you. Posting his information may help other victims who are not yet aware. Posting some of his letters may help even more, as it is very possible he is using the same scripts under multiple names and emails. With his scripts, we can help you to learn to identify some of the telltale signs of a scammer. If you can post the headers from a couple of his emails, we may be able to tell you where he really is, too!

If he know you have posted his information, he may try guilt, shame, or even threats to try to get you to remove it. These are all tactics he is using to (a) try to get money from you and (b) keep you from ruining his other ongoing scams. He is not going to come anywhere near you or your family. The best way to avoid dealing with more lies is to walk away. Don't try to keep him going, just block him from your messenger, filter out his emails, and if he has your phone number, consider changing it, or at least blocking him from calling.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#34705 by JaneD Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:41 am
Thank you Dotti.
I know my fear is irrational, and you confirmed me that. But, no more needless words.
Here are the contacts of the person:
[email protected] (yahoo messenger is used as well)
[email protected]
skype name: genodierno
The pictures of the real person are used, i think there is no need to post them here.
Sometimes I have the feeling it might be a woman. Also because I was recommended to meet "an irish lady" - Mrs.Mary Edward, in Dublin.
One of the early emails i received:
"Thu, 17 Jun 2010 06:19:08 -0700 (PDT) letter of Genraymond Odierno <[email protected]>:
> Dearest,
> From time to time you ask me why I chose you? What is so special about you? Well, the reason is simple. I chose you because you are YOU!!! I have never had anyone treat me the way you do. I have never had anyone just at me and make me feel happy. You do that to me! You make me feel special and wanted. As liberal as I can be, I would never do anything to hurt you. You mean more to me than you realize. I am hoping that one day I can prove all of this to you! I want you for you!
> HONEY YOU ARE SECOND TO NONE"
#34729 by Chris Fuller Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 am
Hello Jane,

As Dotti said above, scammers tend to copy and paste their romantic words from websites that provide examples of love letters and love poetry. That early email you received, for example, was copied and pasted from here:

http://www.lovingyou.com/content/inspir ... php?ID=280

He removed the part about feeling beautiful, presumably thinking that that was unsuitable when written by a man.
#34975 by JaneD Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:20 am
Indeed... I have checked ALL his letters with google. they all have been copied from sites like Love Letters, 100 Love Letters and Perfect Love Letters.
It is so easy, I wonder why I didn't do it upon receiving of those letters!
And I am happy I have stopped communicating with the lad!
Great job is done by people on this site. Thanks a lot!