Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#35955 by sblax2000 Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:28 pm
Got an e-mail shown below from a craigslist ad for an apartment in Amsterdam, is there anything that can be done to prosecute this person? Not sure where he got the name Peter Midghall as I hadn't written it anywhere. They only accept wire transfer to a bank account:

Peter Midghall,

We appreciate your response choosing one of our apartment for your next Vacation/Holiday.

Our Jordaan, 1015 Amsterdam, Netherlands 1015PB, Netherlands flat is very much available for the date. The apartment is just some minute walk to underground station while the motorist can also easily access the A4 for routes and close to wide array of shops, restaurants and bars.

Accommodation:
One Bedroom: 2Adults + 1Kid
Two Bedroom: 5Adults + 1Kid

Charges:
One Bedroom: €40 per Night/€280 per week -
Charges includes all utilities

Two Bedroom: €60 per Night/€400 per week -
Charges includes all utilities

To confirm guest reservation:
- we accept 40 percent reservation deposit and balance require to be paid upon arrival. Or you may pay in full at the time of the booking.
- We also require payback €200 security deposit for any damage done during your lodge.

Availability:
- Air Condition, Microwave, Dishwasher, Oven, DVD, Sound systems, Dryer, LCD Tv, Wooden Floors
- All our apartment has fully equipped kitchen
- We supply all linens, and there is parking space.
- High speed wireless internet for your convenience.

Payment Option -
Bank to Bank transfer or Wire Transfer

You can view more pictures and information on our website at:
http://www.londonvacationflats.uk.com/

Please, let us know how we can help you more.

Regards,
Sam Phil
44(0) 702 408 1535

Notice - We offer free shuttle from the airport to the apartment. Please, we require your flight details before your arrival

Next e-mail:
Yes, Its available. To confirm your reservation we require 40% deposit plus refundable 200 euro for security charges.
Next e-mail:
Since your reservation is less than 4days, we accept full payment.
Next e-mail:
We accept direct deposit (Bank Transfer) and wire transfer only and it has to be made direct to the flat owner. Please, make choice of the two so as to provide you require information to make your deposit.
Advertisement

#35956 by Jim Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:11 pm
Welcome to SW, sblax! I'm glad you were able to spot the scam before sending any money!

Peter Midghall could be another person the scammer is writing to and he just lazily copy/pasted it to you, or he could have just messed up.

I know Craigslist has a reporting/flagging function where you could report the listing to them, but based on what you've given I don't know how we could *prove* to them it's a scam. Yes, the website is poorly made, and yes the only contact number is a +4470 UK redirect number (heavily used by scammers), but not requesting Western Union makes it look weird to me. The assumption here is that you would wire him the money and he would then disappear, but CL would have no reason to believe that's what he would do.

Might you be able to post some email headers that could show he's not where he says he is?

Got a warning from [email protected]? That's me!
Remember, legitimate businesses CANNOT accept payment through Western Union or Moneygram! Scammers use these services because once they receive money it is virtually untraceable!
#35959 by Michael Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm
Hi there,

The site the scammer gave you is a fake property site. I'll be acting on it soon to get it closed down, thanks for reporting! You can flag their ads, CL is getting better at spotting and removing those fraudulent ads. The payment info is just a bit put nicely, 'wire transfer' will turn out to be Western Union.

As to your prosecution question - I am afraid not. Most of those scammers are operating from an internet cafe in Western Africa, using fake names, disposable cell phones,... it's very hard to link the actual scammer to an online personae. Not to mention the corruption - in many cases they just pay their way out of trouble.

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored