Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#37535 by linda Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:22 am
dear all
Recently I met this guy on the travel site. He comes from Egypt and he gave his mobile number : +2010xxxxxxx. So far he is very nice to me. We chat hours trough ym and i saw his face exactly just like i saw on the pics. One day, i asked him what is the time out there, then he said an hour faster than exact time out there..(i know because my mobile has the world time) When i asked him, why is it so different, he said they (the Egyptians) right now, use the summer time until September. One day, i called him, but he didn't pick up my call, two hours later, i called him again, but he didn't pick up my call again..but the funny thing is that eventhough he didn't pick up my call, i spend quite expensive for the call that actually failed coz he didn't answer my call. My question:
1. Is it true in Egypt right now using the summer time until September?
2. Is that the real Egyptians mobile's numbers?
3. why my mobile's pulse suddenly disappear for the failed call?

please answer coz i have trauma, coz my friend was being scammed, and i don't want this happen to me,
thanks
linda
Advertisement

#37538 by GomerPyle Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:54 am
Rather than directly answering your post let me state first that you can't be scammed by someone who never asks you for anything. Granted he may waste your time, deceive you and waste your air time, but he wouldn't be the usual straight out 'go for the money' scammer we deal with.

I've no doubt that there are many males in less well developed countries with dreams of meeting up with a Western girl and vice versa, but it's impossible to determine the honesty of either side's motives, but then it's possible that many couples getting married may not always be completely honest about what they're after.

The less you know about someone the wiser it is to be cautious and tentative about how you commit yourself when, as an online relationship, you are effectively little more than strangers. Online you can be anything you want, and many people are happy to leave it at that, but if you have plans to take it further then it would be wise to take it slowly and find out all you can about your partner.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#37550 by Dotti Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:30 am
Linda,

As Gomer said, if he is a scammer, in the end he will ask or at least hint for you to send money. However, there's no reason I can't answer your questions--but I can tell you that these answers aren't going to tell you whether he is a scammer or not.

1)Egypt does have summer time in September. Their summer time is a little different because they actually stopped summer time and started it again--but this year they started it again as of September 10th.
2)Egyptian cellphone numbers start with 201. Without the exact number I can't say for sure whether it is a real phone number, but it could be.
3)I can't answer this question for certain, but if the number really is a cellphone, it could be as simple as a problem with voicemail. If the voicemail isn't set up right but it still answers the phone when you call, it could cause some problems and you could still be billed for the call.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.