Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#5046 by 4X1X9 Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:39 am
It has become apparent on Eater recently that a crossbread of the 419 and Phishing scam has become a popular modality among scammers. I have not really come across this hybrid until recently (though I'm not claiming it is new) and there has been 2 different reported incidents within the last month.

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148658

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... d.internet

I don't have an example Email but the basic premise is someone masquerading as an Email provider sends a mail to the victim stating that for some reason such as security (etc) they need your username and password. If anyone mails them back with this they hack into the account change the password and the password reset then send out an Email to everone in the victims address book saying they had to take a trip to x country and ran into trouble, had an accident got mugged (etc) and need you to wire some money to help them out.

If anyone has an example Email can they please post it, thanks.

Edit- Doh was an example on the Eater thread but still if someone could find one and post headers too.

I am sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling to Africa for a program called Empowering The Youth to Fight Racism,HIV/AIDS,and the need for sound Education,the program is taking place in three major countries in AFRICA which are Ghana,Benin and Nigeria,I am presently in Lagos.

I misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money,and other valuable things were kept.I will like you to assist me with a soft loan urgently with the sum of($2000) pound to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home.

I will appreciate whatever you can afford,I'll pay back upon my return,
The money could be wired through western union money transfer with the information bellow.

Name :Daniel xxxxxxxx
Address is: 30 Leicester Square
City : Lagos.
zip code : 234.
Text question: for who ?
Answer: for Me.
The amount you send ?
As soon as you do it please email me back with the western union information.
so that i can pay the bill's and get back home.

Thanks for all the help.

Desperately awaits your response .

Daniel XXXXXX.
Advertisement