Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#45136 by nursesrule17 Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 pm
I believe I am the victum of a scammer. I have been chatting with this "military" person since 1/1/11. "He" has already told me he loves me and asked me to request his leave and sent the email address to respond to as [email protected]. He promises love, tenderness and blah,blah,blah. He goes by the name John Purdy and requested leave for a Lt John P Kepley. How wierd is that?
He is a widower whose wife died in of cource a car wreck. He quotes bible verses and says he believes in God. He hasn't asked for money yet. I want to catch him, is it good to do this? Where do I send the information I have on him, emails, photos? I met him through Match.com.
Thanks, Martha
Advertisement

#45138 by Dotti Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 pm
First of all, there is no doubt it is a scam. Civilians cannot request leave for soldiers. As soon as a soldier asks you to request leave for him (or anything else for that matter) you can be certain beyond a doubt that you are dealing with a scammer. USA.com emails are just free emails that people from anywhere in the world can use.

As far as the information goes, you don't have any real information on the scammer. He is hiding behind a fake identity, and none of the information he has given you about himself is real. The pictures are stolen, and the name is copied or fake. The real soldier in the photos has absolutely nothing to do with the scam. The person who has been writing to you is almost certainly a young African man who makes his living stealing from people through lies. He likely contacts you from an internet cafe used by many other people, and any phone numbers will be untraceable to the owner.

Since you know he is a scammer and he presumably has real information about you, it's best to drop all contact with him. Posting his early emails, and any information he is using (email address, phone numbers, other names in the scam, etc.) will at least help to prevent him from stealing money for more victims.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#45142 by jolly_roger Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:20 am
Hi nursesrule17
This is definitely a scam. You need to be aware there is no "Leave Department" in the US Army. Leave is ONLY filled out by the service member and handled within his own unit.
If a leave request has been withdrawn for some reason, little can be done. Instead of giving him money, suggest he contact an attorney that specializes in military law to assist him with fighting for his leave.

http://www.wikilaw3k.org/forum1/Militar ... 645144.htm This page may be of interest for you.
#45162 by nursesrule17 Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:19 am
Thanks Dotti and jolly_roger for the information. It sounded to good to be true and I had my suspicions early on but wanted to believe in this person. After doing some research on my own and finding this website, my suspicions have been confirmed.
The above subject email address is the one this person is currently contacting me with. I will cease all communication with them and am glad to have your advise and support to guide those of us who are victums of such low lifes.
If there is any more information needed or any way I can help prevent this from continuing I would be glad to help out.
#45472 by Chloe777 Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 am
Hello Nursesrule17,
Please question yourself no longer. John just asked me to send request for him to come home to me. We have been talking VERY seriously since 1/1/11. In his draft that I was to send to the usmilitaryleaverequest.us.com , He told them that we were making plans for marriage and needed to be home with me during this process. Then I felt lead be my Savior to google him last night.... What A SHOCK! as I read your words. I had tried before but it was not until I got the last name of Kepley was I able to do that. I am so sorry to you and myself as I am sure he seemed as wonderful to you as he did to me. Sadly enough many of my family and friends were involved in this process. I hope in someway that you can find closure with this knowledge. I also met him on match.com I spoke with them on the phone last night and then as I started looking back at other men that had contacted me, there was a man right before him that has also been blocked by match for questioning. I guess the old saying is true...If it is to good to be true...IT IS!!!
Best regards
Chloe777