Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#5440 by JSmth Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:10 pm
Somethings are too good to be true - like an amazing apartment advertised on Craigslist. I checked the phone number linked with the ad- it showed up in Scotland in a number of Estate Agents all in the one building (and apparently sharing the same number). The dodgy apartment deal is one thing, but then there is a request for personal details which go above and beyond the normal types - like passport number and driver's license. I

n any case, just a couple of days after contact I received an apparently separate email from a person looking to scam me with a deceased person's will (the typical scam) Both emails were in exactly the same font, in the same layout, using similar terminology, in the same writing style. Clearly, the person on Craigslist was getting people to contact them, then trying to solicit in other ways too! Also, note the misspelling of their own names, repeatedly - HAHAHAHA
I paste the emails below.
Apologies for length, I wanted to be thorough. Also, my reason for posting is that lots of people are so desperate to live somewhere and so skint they will take a chance on something like this. Even when everything seems ok you can get screwed- my landlord is currently being investigated by the police!!

from Stevenson Mazumba <mr>
to *************************@gmail.com
date Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 5:57 PM
subject Re: Apartment for rent
mailed-by gmail.com

[RENTAL_APPLICATION_FORM-1.doc]

Hi,
Thanks for your interest in my two bedroom Apartment in Address: 21 Portland Square, Bristol BS2 8SJ, England , United Kingdom

The apartment is well furnished with modern house hold furniture,electronics, balcony, cable TV, Wifi internet connections and fully equipped kitchen.

I resided in this apartment with my family before my transfer to United Kingdom as an expatriate to represent my company on our new construction project in the city.
The document and keys to the apartment are with me.I will send the keys and documents to you after you have agreed to the lease terms.
The cost for this 2 bedroom apartment including all facilities/utilities,council tax and electricity cost is £700 per month and a Security deposit of £700 is required to reserve the apartment.The security deposit will be refunded after the completion of the agreed rental period.

If you are still interested in renting this apartment,I want you to fill the attached rental application form and send it back to me.
If you need more information about the apartment please don't hesitate to contact me, my phone number is +447024081421.
I will be waiting for your prompt response

Remain Blessed

[Download the original attachment]

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM

(A) TENANT'S PERSONAL INFORMATION

(1) FIRST NAME:

(2) MIDDLE NAME:

(3) LAST NAME:

(4) PROFESSION:

(5) PHONE (____) __________ (WORK)

(6) PHONE (____) ___________(HOME)

7) MARITAL STATUS:

(8) KIDS: (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________

(9) Passport No:

(10) Drivers License No:

(11) Date of Birth:

(12) Sex:

(B) CONTACT DETAILS

(1) PRESENT ADDRESS:

(2) CITY:

(3) STATE:

(4) ZIPCODE:

(C) PERSONAL REFERENCES

(LIST 2 PERSONS, OTHER THAN YOUR RELATIVES, THAT WE CAN CONTACT TO VERIFY YOUR CHARACTER.)

(1) FIRST PERSON

FIRST NAME:

MIDDLE NAME: ______________

LAST NAME:

RELATIONSHIP:

PHONE

(2) SECOND PERSON

FIRST NAME:

MIDDLE NAME:

LAST NAME:

RELATIONSHIP:

PHONE

(D) EMERGENCY

(IN AN EMERGENCY, LIST 2 PERSONS THAT CAN BE CONTACTED STARTING WITH NEAREST RELATIVES)

(1) FIRST PERSON

FIRST NAME:

MIDDLE NAME: ______________

LAST NAME:

RELATIONSHIP:

PHONE

(2) SECOND PERSON

FIRST NAME:

MIDDLE NAME:

LAST NAME:

RELATIONSHIP:

PHONE

*PETS*

IF YOU HAVE A PET,

NAME OF PET: ______________

KIND OF PETS: _____________

WEIGHT: ___________________

HABITS

DO YOU SMOKE?

DO YOU DRINK?

DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT?

5. RENTAL DURATION

1. When do you intend to move in to the apartment:__________
3. When do you intend to leave the apartment:___________

(3) How many months rent do you intend to pay for:_____________

(F) DECLARATION

I hereby declare that the information I have given is complete and true to the best of my knowledge.

Signature: ----------------------------

Date:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Micheal Scofield <michalscofieldking>
to ******************************@gmail.com
date Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:29 AM
subject Hello...how are you today?
mailed-by gmail.com

Hello,
I am Mr.Micheal Scoffield a banker in united Kingdom.I have a proposal to discuss about a certain Dormant Investment Account of a deceased customer.My proposition to you is to seek your consent,and to present your kind self as the next-of-kin and
beneficiary of my deceased client.

I guarantee that the transaction will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect all from any bridge of
law.To affirm your willingness and cooperation to my proposal please contact me ONLY THROUGH MY PRIVATE EMAIL
ADDRESSES as indicated below stating your info to enable me commence this transaction which of mutual benefit to all
parties concerned.

(1) Full Name
(2) Telephone
(3) Fax Number
(4) Postal Address
(5) Occupation
(6) Age

Your prompt response will be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Mr.Micheal Scoffield
Email: [email protected]

Revenge is a dish best served cold
Advertisement

#5455 by Charles Fox Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 pm
The property seems to be already occupied by VT Group UK Ltd.

Google pulled up the same flat for rent on Gumtree, but the posting has been removed.

Wow! I need you and thank you for the information.

I am SO GLAD YOU BURST MY BUBBLE

So I can close this chapter with no more fretting, right? Thanks so much for your help.