Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#5523 by zac Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:34 pm
I got a suspicious email from a guy on craiglist named Richard Erwin Baver here's what it said:

Hi,
Your payment will be mailed out as soon you provide your full name and address and will take about 7 working days. I will pay via money order . Let me know where to send your payment to because i would'nt want to lose it to someone else. I dont mind adding twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor and for the delay. Pick-up wont be a problem.
Rich

Please give me advice on what I shoulddo .
Advertisement

#5524 by Ralph Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:50 pm
It sounds like a scam to me, I dont have time to do any checking right now but I am sure it is a scam.

Tell the person you will only sell locally and will not accept a money order or cheque.

The part where is says they will give you $20 to keep it in your favour, try a search on that exact phrase, I am sure you will find other examples of the same line used in other scams

Here you go, Click Here

#5528 by John DeLaney Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:39 pm
Ralph got in before me (again) and with a good link.

If you check the Auctions and online selling forum http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

most of the scammers I have posted use the same format, including the extra $20 dollars as a token for holding the article.

Any email containing that line, and a few others just scream SCAM

Good luck with your sale, I hope you get a local person, and no more scammers

John DeLaney
#5565 by zac Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:56 pm
thnx a lot