Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
Advertisement

#5651 by Ralph Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 pm
Hi Tony,

Yes, it is a scam
a google search on the email address will give you the answers Click Here

#5652 by Arnold Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:47 pm
Can you quote the whole email, including headings? I've no doubt it's a scam, though. Lottery scams are common, and you can't win a lottery that you didn't enter.
I expect it says that you won as your email address was picked at random.

#5654 by Jillian Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:43 pm
It is a scam. Here's an example of one of those emails. I will explain the parts about the domains/email addresses for you to notice.

From: PEUGEOT AUTOMOBILES LOTTERY [mailto: [email protected] ]
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 12:34 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Notification Letter..

PEUGEOT AUTOMOBILES LOTTERY

Peugeot Auto-mobiles headquaters, 19 Ul,
Essex , PE9 2YP , London
United Kingdom.

www.Peugeot.com.

AWARD PRIZE NOTIFICATION.

This is to inform you that you have been selected for a cash prize of £300,000.00 (Three Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds) and a brand new Peugeot 407 Car,From the International online programs held on the 8th of April 2007 in London the United Kingdom .

To begin the processing of your prize you are to contact the remittance department with the emails address provided below through our accredited Prize Transfer agents as stated below:

===============================================================

Sir Paul Wilson

E-mail: [email protected]

Tel: +447045708544 ==============================================================

Contact him with your secret pin code PGA00111234 and your reference number PGA: 12058006/06.You are also advised to provide him with the under listed information as soon as possible:

Claims Requirements:

1. Name in full-----------------------

2. Address----------------------------

3. Sex--------------------------------

4. Nationality/Religion---------------

5. Maritual Status--------------------

6. Age--------------------------------

7. Next Of Kin------------------------

8. Occupation-------------------------

9. Phone/Fax--------------------------

10. Present Country------------------- ===============================================================

Winners are advised to keep their winning details/information from the public to avoid fraudulent claim (IMPORTANT) pending the transfer/claim by Winner.

*Winner under the age of 18 is automatically disqualified. *Staff of the Peugeot Company world wide is not to partake in this Car Promotional Lottery.

congratulations once again!

With Best Regards

Mr. Dominic Gerard

Lottery Manager.

Notice that this email is supposedly from the email address of [email protected]

If you look at that domain name, it looks legitimate. In doing a bit of research though, I find that that email address has been spoofed.

I have checked it with email dossier and found that it's not valid, therefore, the scammer just entered it to stand as a "from" address and it is not where the mail was actually sent from. Here are the results from email dossier:

Validating [email protected]...

Validation results
confidence rating: 2 - DNS
The email address passed this level of validation
before the validation stopped due to the error below.
This does not indicate a problem with the address, but
it does not guarantee a good address, either. more info
error at level 3: Timed out

The url, http://www.peugeot.org leads to a placeholder page, not the Peugeot site. In the email itself, a link is given to the legitimate Peugeot website: www.Peugeot.com This is known as piggybacking. The scammers link you to a real site, but the email you're receiving isn't actually from there, nor are you asked to actually write to someone at that domain.

Next, note which email address the "winner" is asked to contact: [email protected]
It's a free webmail provider, yahoo.

This is definitely a scam.

Please note: Scammers DO sometimes set up legitimate sounding or looking websites to further their scams. I, and others, investigate and report them.

Final note: You won't ever be contacted by email to be notified that you have won a lottery or contest that you didn't enter. :wink:

#5656 by falnsb Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 am
Lots more clues that it is a pathetic scam attempt. Fortunately the type of people who try these scams are illiterate uneducated morons who are too stupid or too lazy, or both, to do things properly. There are errors and poor grammar and syntax throughout, I've just picked some of the worst.

Peugeot Auto-mobiles headquaters, 19 Ul,
Auto-mobiles is wrong, 'headquaters' is wrong and would not be used in the context, and '19 Ul' is meaningless.

Essex , PE9 2YP , London
PE is Peterborough, which is neither Essex, nor London. This line is totally incoherent.

(Three Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds)
No native English speaker would write that.

new Peugeot 407 Car,From the International online programs held on the 8th of April 2007 in London the United Kingdom .
no space after the comma, capital letter after comma, US spelling of 'programs', and other errors.

Sir Paul Wilson
E-mail: [email protected]

Sir Paul Wilson, oh please ...... and he uses a yahoo email address!

Tel: +447045708544
A 'follow me' type phone number. A 'phone number beginning with 070 in UK is one of these and should be a warning sign (many are used legitimately too though).
#10550 by juliettatum Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:44 pm
This scam is still making the rounds.

I'm adding some additional letters so the new emails and names they use come up on search engines.

From: "PEUGEOT AUTOMOBILES COMPANY London ,United Kingdom." <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:57:12 PM
Subject: Peugeot Automobiles 2008-2009 New Year Prize your secret pin code *PGA00111234*

PEUGEOT AUTOMOBILES COMPANY London ,United Kingdom
==================================================
PEUGEOT AUTOMOBILES (60 YEARS) Anniversary and prize winnings this is your secret pin code *PGA00111234*
and your ref number PGA: *12058006/06*
We here by inform you that your email id have won you some prizes. you are one of five winners of the peugeot automobiles 2008-2009 new year prize gift aword,You have been selected for a cash prize money of(£500,000.00 United Kingdom Pounds) and a brand new Peugeot new model 407 Car, From the International online programs.The Drows was held yesterday in London the United Kingdom.

To begin the processing of your prize you are to contact the
remittance department with the email address provided below :

CLAIMS AGENT
============
Sir Francis Edmund,

Email: [email protected]

(Tel: +4470359 47441 ) international redirect number

Contact him with your secret pin code and your ref number
You are also advised to provide him with the underlisted information assoon as possible

Claims Requirements:
====================
1. Name in full:
2. Address:
3. Sex:
4. Nationality:
5. Age:
6. Occupation:
7. Phone:
8. Present Country:

congratulations once again!

With Best Regards
=================
Mr. Dominic Gerard
Lottery Manager.

To: xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:05:47 AM
Subject: ABOUT YOUR PAYMENT

Welcome to EliteCourier.co.uk - UK Courier Company
Elite Couriers
Unit 20 Britannia Industrial Estate
Poyle Road, Colnbrook, Berkshire SL3 0BH,
United Kingdom

REGISTRATION NUMBER:#EE /5376253/07.
DATE: 15-01-2009.

Dear Customer,

In regards to your email. Payment is to be sent to our account officer via Western Union Money Transfer with details below:

FIRST NAME: JACOB
LAST NAME: STEMP
ADDRESS: Unit 20 Britannia Industrial Estate Poyle Road, Colnbrook, Berkshire SL3 0BH, United Kingdom

After payment, You are to send across to us via email details of payment for confirmation/accredition they include:

1. Name of Sender.
2. Amount Sent.
3. Money Transfer Control Number
4. Text Question/Answer if any.

Once we are in receipt of the entire requirement. We shall commence shipment and once we are through with the shipping procedures the tracking number of the shipment shall be remitted to you immediately for your verification To avoid any unwanted occurrences and delay please we suggest you effect the payments from your end soonest and note that as a private firm our policy of operation is payments before service we shall await your prompt response soonest.

Yours in service,
Mr. Andrew Moore.
Dispatch officer

ELITE EXPRESS COURIERS 24HRS ONLINE SERVICE

* Domestic road Freight service
* International Courier
* Sea freight and European Road

To: xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 5:04:26 PM
Subject: Attn: xxxxxxx

Attn: xxxxxxxxxx

How are you today? I presume all is well with you and your family.

In regards to the last mail forwarded to my desk, I must let you know that the funds is ready right now.

You have to contact the firm handling the funds before the funds can be released.
The firm details can be found below:

Name :JAMES UCHIDA
Phone :1-905-598-1397 This is a Toronto area phone number answered by a very West African sounding man who does not identify any company
Company :James Firm Consultants
Email : [email protected]

Below is the break down of your charges:

Demurrage... 10,150.GBP
Security Keeping... 13,900.GBP
I.G.A. Stamp.............7,410.GBP
British Inland Revenue Tax..........9,000.GBP
United Nations Registration...500.GBP

NOTE: All legal charges are to be paid by the Financial Department.

Congratulations Once Again!!!
George Stewart