Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#7674 by mastihin Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 am
Pretty scary, please help me if you can!

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from MXR-1.estpak.ee (relay1.neti.ee [88.196.174.132])
by mbox1-1 (Cyrus v2.3.13) with LMTPA;
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 06:16:57 +0000
X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.3
Received: from localhost (Relay1 [127.0.0.1])
by MXR-1.estpak.ee (Postfix) with ESMTP id 1D26939AA41
for ; Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:16:58 +0200 (EET)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at estpak.ee
Received: from MXR-1.estpak.ee ([127.0.0.1])
by localhost (MXR-1.estpak.ee [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
with ESMTP id ZULZD-AqYS2n for ;
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:16:51 +0200 (EET)
X-SMTP-Auth-NETI-Businesmail: no
Received: from n76.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com (n76.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com [98.136.44.48])
by Relayhost1.neti.ee (Postfix) with SMTP id 0319F2A8511
for <[email protected]>; Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:16:49 +0200 (EET)
Received: from [216.252.122.216] by n76.bullet.mail.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Feb 2009 05:59:31 -0000
Received: from [67.195.9.81] by t1.bullet.sp1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Feb 2009 06:16:46 -0000
Received: from [67.195.9.101] by t1.bullet.mail.gq1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 19 Feb 2009 06:16:46 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: [email protected]
Received: (qmail 60468 invoked by uid 60001); 19 Feb 2009 06:16:46 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1235024206; bh=Ze85i2xUd0W/e9oQA0OV/ruFhG/B9BCWIU9zb2JAd8A=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=sCoVm63lLbK0qLdlbnBfhUaLJE0DNrv+FOPKPhIm4yjeipCrDFvh24rWZLPAv4dcYH+xDHd6cKZsYhDyDS3NRNDC6jZASEYCnSZwzLgHmIRweTlkut7e9O28nAG6Q4LupUwiUGt66/LGn5dAa5XNuWpMe1XFQtSLuAbGKiIXu1k=
DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
b=UxZUQr3/qFHLsdgs3cGVhD/gJie2PQGZAQGGtN6fr3UhcnHFhyupL09uV7f3jzn3mG9UIB0l0MOdyc+UU/F3CikaPYVgNJCaYGgbiB300Wh+EbF7nc0kmwpSN+TPX4jzUGj1SMwLCuAc5K2ePdRKr/I4JWgzetnrldUhSD7OQz0=;
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-YMail-OSG: hm0_IVoVM1kR9D0r33UtNzk2BBO9UPzLV4Br9YCS0y4O5NDdKmwJHUpYbkekYy4iy14ZScot6f.EF3OclktVNzaen1mxVDZoIEx2TdOQ2ozxD5CtCqdNF9WvRiJCo9hZUjcgNO2E_nuLGIGaAbhcXrV3FxuVu.e_jDliQMH.Im5jS5mlvzQ7wZ8hDYtflRnCULwDzuthYgopLpsD6U6c.ixkQIOoxZJQG73drKM5_L_hm.WZQqkZjV4Ckso9tAVrlXxX4w--
Received: from [62.173.55.182] by web112222.mail.gq1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:16:45 PST
X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.7.289.1
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:16:45 -0800 (PST)
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: Get back to me
To:
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-2067833399-1235024205=:57579"
Advertisement

#7676 by Dan Jones Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 am
It is almost certainly a scam. The IP leads to Lagos, Nigeria. "Get back to me" or similar is often used as a subject by scammers. Could you post the content of the email as well as the header please?

You may want to bookmark the following link: http://headertool.apelord.com/headers. If you past the full headers into that site and push enter, you'll usually get the location of origin. Please bear in mind that it doesnt work for gmail accounts.
#7677 by mastihin Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:25 am
Dear Newdonym, thank you so very much, I think I finally grew up today:)
Thank you.
The body was something like:
Hello Olga,
It is a pleasure to read from you as i apologize to the delay in response as
I had just returned from Philipine for a business visit today.It would be a
pleasure to have the works in my clients House which is in Seattle Washington USA.
Sincerely,granting you the liberty of selecting the two works which will be at the reception of the guess house and it has a white background, preferable
oil/water painting ,photography on landscape,semi realistic,abstract or even sculptures.
(your ideas are welcomed )for the 2 works would be my idea ,so the works can
portray hospitality.
Let me know the total cost of two pieces of the work and shipping.
I am hoping to work on a budget of 1,000 to 6,000 USD for the 2 works.
Reply me with your Suggestions and the selections you have selected for the 2
works and total cost.
Thanks

Morgan Lee
Manager
Marble Art Agency
1577 Oakdale Avenue
Seattle Washington 98108.
United States
+1-206-337-1891

and then

Hello,
I am glad that we have settled everything. I will be sending you the credit card shortly not bank transfer. As soon as I send you the Credit Card details, follow the steps below:
1.Charge and comfirm the total amount of $11,000 usd from the card.
2.Deduct you art work price $3,850 usd.
3.Send the balance of $7,150 usd to the agent whose information will be forwarded to you.You will deduct the shipping and transfer charges from the balance which you will send to the agent.
4.Prepare every neccessary documents for record keeping.
You are going to send the works to the address below.
I need a recomfirmation so that I send you the Credit Card details,state the credit card that
will be sent to you.
Please get back to me ASAP.
Regards.

Which made me feel funny) I wonder what is a polite way to reply to this guy/girl now:)
#7678 by Charles Fox Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:38 am
Dont reply at all. As you have probably guessed, they key line is you sending a real $7,150 to the scammer, probably via Western Union.

Everything else is just bogus.

Wow! I need you and thank you for the information.

I am SO GLAD YOU BURST MY BUBBLE

So I can close this chapter with no more fretting, right? Thanks so much for your help.
#7680 by Ralph Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 am
Hardly Charlie's Angels but we do try :D

I am glad that Scamwarners were able to help you, please help us by spreading the word about scams and dont hesitate to come back and ask for help if you have any more questions :wink:
Last edited by Ralph on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
#7682 by The Enchantress Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:10 am
I have discovered another example.

Hello
I was just looking through an art web site and came across your Gallery.
Hope you are good today ?
My client is presently converting his Home to a guest house for Commercial purpose and would like to have some of your Renown works in the Guest House.
I tried to search for your detailed website so I can select some art works but could not get any web page that would assist me.
Firstly Kindly make a selection of some of your works two frammed painting of about 90 x 120 cm or more which will be at the reception in the Apartment, so We can discuss and make payment.
Then after this we are going to buy more works one for each room.Hope you accept credit card as means of payment?
Thanks and have a great day as I look forward to hear from you.

Morgan Lee
Manager
Marble Art Agency
1577 Oakdale Avenue
United States
+1-206-337-1891

Also uncovered using the same Seattle address (translated from Swedish)

Hey,
I am interested in your Motorcycles, get back to me with the
Final bottom in price and present condition of the motorcycles.
Thanks.

Paul Davis
Sales Manager
[email protected] & [email protected]
Weber Autos Limited
1577 Oakdale Avenue
Seattle, Washington 90057.
United States

ip code 82.128.4.127: Lagos in Nigeria

Also please note I have found no evidence of there being an Oakdale Avenue in Seattle.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#8131 by rona_recto Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:05 am
Subject: Thanks for the assistance
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, March 6, 2009, 5:44 PM

Hello,It is a pleasure to read from you as I will be travelling to Phillipine for abusiness visit today.It would be a pleasure to have the works in my clientsHouse which
is in Seattle Washington USA.Sincerely,granting you the liberty of selecting the two works which will be atthe reception of the guess house and it has a white background, preferableoil/water painting ,photography on landscape,semi realistic,abstract or evensculptures.(your ideas are welcomed )for the 2 works would be my idea ,so the works canportray hospitality.Let me know the total cost of two pieces of the work and shipping.I am hoping to work on a budget of 1,000 to 6,000 USD for the 2 works.Reply me with your Suggestions and the selections you have selected for the 2works and total cost.ThanksRichard Wilson1577 Oakdale Avenue Seattle Washington 98108. United States +1-206-337-1891

Hi, we just recvd also the same like yours, so i think this is a scam.

please let me know. email me at: [email protected]
#8132 by rona_recto Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:07 am
ARTWORK ENQUIRYWednesday, March 4, 2009 5:38 PM
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "Wilson Richard" <[email protected]>View contact details To: [email protected]
I was just looking through an art web site and came across your Gallery.
Hope you are good today ? My client is presently converting his Home to a guest house for
Commercial purpose and would like to have some of your Renown works in the Guest House.

I tried to search for your detailed website so I can select some art works but could not get any web page that would assist me.
Firstly Kindly make a selection of some of your works two frammed or unframmed painting,photography on landscape,semi realistic,abstract or even sculptures of about
90 x 120 cm or more which will be at the reception in the Apartment, so We can discuss and make payment. Then after this we are going to buy more works one for each room.

Hope you accept credit card as means of payment?

Thanks and have a great day as I look forward to hear from you.

Richard Wilson

1577 Oakdale Avenue

United States

+1-206-337-1891

Is this real?????
#8135 by The Enchantress Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:01 am
Rona Recto.

Welcome to Scamwarners.

An adviser will reply to your questions as soon as possible. Thank you for posting this information. It will help other potential victims recognise that this is a scam.

The mail address used, the name and use of the home address are linked to similar scams, my strong suspicion is that they are both therefore also scams.

Please if you have any concerns or further questions please post here, our advisers are happy to investigate and reply.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#8157 by Dotti Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm
I'm glad that some of you recognized this as suspicious. This is 100% scam. If the scammer is paying by credit card, it will be a stolen account number, if he is paying by check or money order, they will be fake or drawn on a stolen or phished account (in which case in the end it will not be honored, and the person who deposits it will ultimately pay the penalty for passing a fraudulent check).

Here is another posting of the same scam letter: http://419-scams.the-world-in-focus.com/?p=2587

And here is a posting by someone questioning the number on February 11th, so this scammer has been active using this format for at least a month:

Comments about 2063371891 number:
Rating: 0 blu015 - 11 Feb 2009
This number was included in an email received from Morgan Lee of Marble Art Agency. I just wish to check the autenticity of the email.
Caller ID: Morgan Lee
Caller: Marble Art Agency

Checking out the phone number, I find that it is provided by International Telecom. International Telecom has a free internet phone service called K7. Anyone can sign up for a free phone number that has voicemail regardless of where they are, but all K7 numbers trace to the Seattle area code. This scammer is sitting in an internet cafe in Lagos using his K7 number to pretend he is in the US.

A few other notes that would be an immediate red flag:
-The English mistakes are typical of those in African countries, and not something you would expect to see from an American business.
-It sounds as if he is asking you to pick out paintings, without his feedback. This is absurd. If this is going to be a public reception area and someone is being paid to procure art, you can be darn sure they will be picking it out--after all, it needs to go with the decor/color theme of the room.
-Notice the wide variety of types of art they are interested in. The truth is they would know what type of art they want if they were truly redecorating a place. They are sending this email to one mass mailing list that they bought or stole that contains "artists" and they don't know or care about the medium each individual artist prefers. By listing such a variety, they have a better chance of hitting something each recipient produces, so they are more likely to get a response.

He doesn't want your artwork. He wants the cash via western union, and that is all.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.