Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#7855 by Ralph Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 am
Here is another scam email forwarded to me,

Without doing any searches there are a few indicators of a scam;

A barclays Bank representative using a yahoo email address
The fact it was not attentioned to a particular person
The currency used does not match the banks location
The amount of interest you are supposedly entitled to, and I may be going out on a limb here but with todays interest rates, i dont think too many of our readers would have enough money in a bank account to generate that much in interest.

We havn't even started on the content of the email yet
The 2 first names, "My Peter Gary", very uncommon surname but scammers seem to think it looks OK
The lottery win in a lottery you have not entered nor heard of
The urgent nature of the email
While the email is well written compared to many of the scam emails we see it still contains many of the common African scammer traits
The request for personal details including passport and "driving license"
The phone number used is a UK redirect phone number, these numbers are commonly used by scammers and rarely used by business and especially one of the biggest banks in the world

----- Forwarded Message ----
Sent: Monday, March 2, 2009 7:13:48 AM
Subject: RE: PAYMENT OF US$800,000.00 INTEREST

Barclays Bank London
Mr. Peter Gary
Managing Director,

RE: PAYMENT OF US$800,000.00 INTEREST INTO YOUR ACCOUNT:

I am Mr. Peter Garry Managing Director, Corporate Services Division and Head of Swift Transfer Unit of Barclays Bank London.

Sometime ago, lotto/inheritance fund was brought to our office from National Lotto Group here in England and after some period, the money was taken back to their treasury. But for the period of time this money was us, it generated an interest of US$800,000.00 which we are about to pay you.

For your information and advice, you need to hasten up to pick this Fund because from time to time the National Lotto Group auditors do come to our bank to cross-check our files and our financial update, the earlier you comply with the demands of the release of the fund, the faster the action, because when the auditors arrive and find out that this interest fund is still in our bank they will call back the accrued interest to the lotto treasury account.

What we need from you now is any form of your identification for example;your International passport or your driver license,your telephone and fax numbers for easy communication to you with your mailing address where this Draft will be delivered. As a matter of fact we dont have enough time to waste since we have wasted time in contacting you so try and comply with the entire
necessary requirement for the transaction.

Contact Larry Jack
[email protected]
Phone No: +44 7005-930-836 Ext: 4
Fax No: +44 7005-930-856

Note I had to send you a mail on this email address whcih is on the play ticket in your payment file as the winner.

Expecting your immediately response.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr. Peter Garry
Managing Director

Finally, I did do a search on one of the phone numbers to see what came up and there are a few examples of other scams using the same phone number Click Here
Advertisement

#7859 by Arnold Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 am
The 2 first names, "My Peter Gary", very uncommon surname

And most people can spell their names consistently. He also names himself "Peter Garry" twice. Larry Jack is another typical example of a name created by a West African scammer.

#7860 by Ralph Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 am
Thank you, there's one I missed :D

Quite a good point, scammers often do spell their names incorrectly, just one more thing to look out for
#7898 by Peta Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:16 pm
For the people who comes across this scam script via an internet search, the [email protected] email address is also very likely to have been spoofed by the scammers. What that means is that the scammers have deliberately manipulated the information in the email header information to give the impression that it has come from [email protected] when in fact it has not.

The scammer wants the victim to contact him using [email protected]
#8107 by Ralph Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:19 am
I recieved an email today in regards to this scam, an email that was identical was forwarded to me with the only exception being the scammers reply to email address, yes, it is the same scam and most likely sent from the same person or group

I have highlighted the new email address for the benefit of searches

Barclays Bank London
Mr. Peter Gary
Managing Director,

RE: PAYMENT OF US$800,000.00 INTEREST INTO YOUR ACCOUNT:

I am Mr. Peter Garry Managing Director, Corporate Services Division and Head of Swift Transfer Unit of Barclays Bank London.

Sometime ago, lotto/inheritance fund was brought to our office from National Lotto Group here in England and after some period, the money was taken back to their treasury. But for the period of time this money was us, it generated an interest of US$800,000.00 which we are about to pay you.

For your information and advice, you need to hasten up to pick this Fund because from time to time the National Lotto Group auditors do come to our bank to cross-check our files and our financial update, the earlier you comply with the demands of the release of the fund, the faster the action, because when the auditors arrive and find out that this interest fund is still in our bank they will call back the accrued interest to the lotto treasury account.

What we need from you now is any form of your identification for example;your International passport or your driver license,your telephone and fax numbers for easy communication to you with your mailing address where this Draft will be delivered. As a matter of fact we dont have enough time to waste since we have wasted time in contacting you so try and comply with the entire
necessary requirement for the transaction.

Contact Larry Jack
[email protected]
Phone No: +44 7005-930-836 Ext: 4
Fax No: +44 7005-930-856

Note I had to send you a mail on this email address whcih is on the play ticket in your payment file as the winner.

Expecting your immediately response.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr. Peter Garry
Managing Director