Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#9142 by inspireme Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 am
Does anyone know anything about this person? She claims her name is Kelly Koenny and she wants to rent a room from me. Her Uncle - Anthony Roby is supposed to send me the money prior to her arrival.
He is also supposed to be including money for her shippers?
Advertisement

#9146 by Ralph Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 am
Hi Inspire

Welcome to Scamwarners
It is hard to give you an absolute answer going by what you have given us to go on

Please provide an email address and some of the early emails you have received.

I believe it is a scam myself but can offer you little to substantiate my claim without further details

Please remove your own email address or details from anything you post and only tell us about his emails, we dont need to know anything about you, just the person who I believe is scamming you
Last edited by Ralph on Fri May 01, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#9147 by inspireme Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:57 pm
Hello Ralph-
Just sent you an email to your gmail account.
thanks!

mod edit -removed member's name (signed post) -Jillian
#9151 by Ralph Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:42 pm
Hi Inspire,

I have given those details to one of our advisors, one of us will reply as soon as possible :D
#9159 by Ralph Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:21 pm
Ok, I dont have a great deal of time but i can confirm without a doubt that it is a scam, This link, Click here leads to a search result on part of the script you sent.

I will post up the other details making sure I leave out anything identifiable to you and ask you post any additional details if you have them

Your best course of action will be to ignore all future attempts to contact you, they can be persistent buggers but once they realise you wont be sending them any money they will leave you alone

More info coming shortly

these are all typical scammer scripted emails, they will change the name but nothing more and send the same email onto the next victim, while the email addresses are not coming up in searches right now, the scripts are, thank you for providing this information, hopefully it will prevent others from losing money to this scammer

Date: removed

To: removed

Subject: Payment sent !

Hello removed,

How are you doing?Guess you are enjoying the present condition of the wonderful day?Anyway am really sorry for not emailing you since.. It's my great pleasure to inform you that the payment had been mailed to you in the name and address you provided for me.I want you to please bear with me as i'm already commited and have much interest in you and the room.I will not give any chance to loose the room..
Please i will want you to please help me arrange the room and hope you did not forget that the money for my shippers as also been included and my things will be shipped over as soon as you get the money..Also i like to inform you that my travelling document has been taken for endorsement.I will let you know as soon as it made available so that you will know my flight schedule...Moreso,i'll appreciate if you can get back to me with the nearest airport (close to your place).And if you will be around to pick me up at the airport or not .
Please am really sorry once again for not emailing you...

Wating to read from you soon and my regards to your family..
Your sincerely

kelly

Date: removed

To: removed

Subject: Consider the room rented !

Dear removed,

I really appreciate giving me the room as a potential roommate and the information provided,i consider the money i would have waste if i don't get a place down before my arrival to the state...
Right now i have told my uncle about you and he agree with me and really wish to know more about you and talk to you too,so i'll appreciate if you could forward your contact number to me and he will ring you very soon,okay?
He also told me to ask if you can help me out because now he is the only one that i lookup to {breadwinner}since i loss my parents years back and he wanted to make sure that everything go well for me, he will be sending the payment for the room to you by next week and he will include my shipping fee with your rent fee and you can paid my shipper at the point of there delivery of my stuffs to my future home,as he will be helping me out with the shipping of my car, luggage,furniture and my computer that i will be bringing in for the research prior to my arrival.
He want to know how trusting you are,so he said that if you agree,he will make sure he get the payment to you by next by week,okay? I really like the kind of person you are and i'll really love making a roomie together with you and i'll really appreciate if you could aslo pick me up at the ariport when i arrive to the state and i'll send my flight schedule to you as soon as it is avaialble...Thanks, can't wait to see your beautiful face soon.

Hope to read from you soonest,
Kindest Regards.

Kelly

Date:

To:

Subject: Hi again !

Hello

What more can i say?I am the easy going type,respectful,love music and pop )..I play tennis and am kinda fun to be with.... I just want you to know that things are going on fine here and i have make every other plans towards my transition, I want you to know the the payment had been make out to you,I will also email you with details on that later ,so you can also have the tracking number and monitor it...please do take me as a little sister please,cause it will be myself only overthere..I also hope that the ad had been taken down/deleted from the site.i will never want to be dissapointed in all my effort..Hope you are doing fine again?please feel free to share ideas with me,you are welcome anytime.. and pls do let me know if the 5th of april is okay for me to arrive?if it is not,i can choose another date..

I will be waiting to read from you..
Thanks again

kelly

and finally, this from Uncle Robert
Most likely sent by the same scammer

Date:

To:

Subject: I'm kelly uncle..

Hello there ,

My name is Mr Anthony Robert kelly(your future roommate) uncle,I'm very sorry that i didn't contact you all these days,i have been so busy,But i want to let you know that i've send the payment out today and her shippers fee as also been included, so you have nothing to worry about....she told me how wonderful you are to her,and i'm using this oppotunity to tell you that i'll be glad if you can make your living together pleasant ones,as you can know that she don't have anybody to turn to except you only,please help me in taking good care of her....do confirm the below information so you can know the payment mailed to the correct address..

removed name and address

Hope to read from you if you have anyother things to say.
Yours fathfully

Mr Anthony Robert
Last edited by Ralph on Tue May 19, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#9177 by Ralph Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 am
My Pleasure

Thank you for bringing the scammers details to our attention :wink:

Please ask if you have any other questions
#9213 by inspireme Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:15 am
Hello Ralph:
I got a notice from UPS yesterday for a letter package delivery. This is the payment from them. I was not home at the time nor did I sign for it. What is your recommendation on this?

Here is her recent email to me:

To:
Subject: What is going on??
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:47:30 +0000

Hey "Name"

I can't understand the reason why you've not email me since all this while,well i guess you should have gotten my moneyorder by now,please i really cares to read from you,your update give me the rest of mind..

Thanks

Kelly
#9214 by Ralph Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:23 am
Hi Inspire

First up, tell the scammer you deposited the cheque and the bank immediately recognised it as fake, you are dissappointed and want nothing further to do with them, dont answer any more of their emails after that.

As to the delivery, up to you but taking it unopened to the authorities to explain is a good idea, you have done nothing wrong so have nothing to fear.
Last edited by Ralph on Fri May 01, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
#9215 by inspireme Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:29 am
Thanks for the suggestion Ralph and quick response.

Have a great day!
#9216 by Ralph Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:55 am
My pleasure

Although for me the day is long gone, 2 am and I am starting to feel like it :wink:

Feel free to keep asking questions, somebody will be along to answer them
#9328 by daiglebw Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:56 am
I received an email from Kelly too. Here is the info. It was just strange enough that I did a google search and thankfully you guys came up. Her email address is [email protected]. Hopefully other's won't fall for this:

I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and i really appreciate the breakdown details of the house, more about me from Maryland Annapolis, MD USA, a quiet,clean,honest,responsible and easy going person to live with, I'm 5"7',straight, 24 years of age. I dont drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play long tennis... i lives here with my Uncle here in MD,my Dad and mom's died when i was young ,roommie i want you to know that i have no friends in the area except you for now lol....I am currently working on a research pertaining to my course work on culture and tourism. I hope to end my current assignment by the end of this month here in Annapolis and focus on my new assingment to your States..
I will like to make a payment of $400 and reserve the room for me before my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 6months. So i'll client to see you'll get the payment prior to my arriving date....To be honest with you i really like the kind of person you are from your little description and if you have the picture of the bedroom available, kindly forward it to my mailbox. I am really okay with the place...
I am planning to arrive on the 10th of next month so i will love to know if i can make the payment ahead of my arrival via business check,money order or personnal Cheque,so you will get the payment by next week and i can go ahead making arrangement for sending the payment to you, also i will much apprecaite if you can mail your information like,your mailing address ,your full name,your contact number as to appear on the payment. I will like to ship in my car,luggage,laptop and other materials for my research ahead of my arrival...
I will also like you to remove the advert from the site b'cos i am ready to have your place rented.....
Hope to read from you soon.

Previous strings:
400 includes furnished room, all utilities (internet, electricity. Gas, water). Ill require 400 deposit, references, deposit up front with signed lease. What day would you need to move in?
Let me know if you want to see the place.
Thanks,

Sure,i'm a male but i will like to know the total move in cost of the room before i can consider the room rented

Kelly

Kelly,

Since I know a male Kelly, I should ask, are you a male or female? The room is only for a male. Let me know if you’re still interested.

My name is kelly koenny, I'm a student from Maryland Annapolis, MD USA , am coming pertaining to my research course on tourism and culturism, i'll like to know if you have the room advertised on the site still available for rent. I'll like to know more about you,the neighborhood,the room size and total move in cost including untilities cost. You can mail me back at [email protected], i really need a place asap.Thanks as i await your reply.

Thanks again for the help.
#9331 by Holly Brown Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:49 pm
daiglebw, thank you for posting that. The more examples of these scams that get posted here, the more likely it is that potential victims will find this site and learn that "Kelly" doesn't really exist. :)

[email protected] if you want to ask me more questions.
#9562 by tuctreehause Mon May 11, 2009 12:20 pm
Hi,

I have been trying to rent a room on Craig's list and had a several day exchange with this same scammer.

I'm posting the entire text here in order to help deter others from this scam.

Good luck to all.

Tuc

Hello,

My name is Eve Rosy, I'm a student from Alaska (Anchorage) US, am coming pertaining to my research course on tourism and culturism, i'll like to know if you have the room advertised on the site still available for rent. I'll like to know more about you,the neighborhood,the room size and total move in cost including untilities cost. You can mail me back, i really need a place asap.Thanks as i await your reply...

Hope to read from you soonest.

Eve..

Dear Roommie,

I'll be so glad if you can reserve the room for me and i really appreciate the breakdown details of the house, more about me from Alaska (Anchorage) US, a quiet,clean,honest,responsible and easy going person to live with, I'm 5"7',straight, 24 years of age i have attach a pic of my self for you to have a look of my person. I dont drink nor smoke but i'm cool living with people that do. I love to go on date but seldomly party. I swim for fun and sometimes play long tennis. i lives here with my Uncle here in Alaska,my Dad died when i was young ,roommie i want you to know that i have no friends in the area except you for now lol. I speak English and French fluently..I am currently working on a research pertaining to my course in culture and tourism.. I hope to end my current assignment by the end of this month here in Alaska and focus on my new assingment to your State.

I will like to make a month payment and security deposit for you to reserve the room for me before my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for more than 6months. To be honest with you i really like the kind of person you are from your little description and if you have the picture of the bedroom available, kindly forward it to my mailbox. I am really okay with the place.

I am planning to arrive on the 1st of next month so i will love to know if i can make the payment ahead of my arrival via Chasier Check or Money Order. I'll like to know if i can go ahead with the arrangement of sending the payment to you, i will much apprecaite if you can mail your information like,your full mailing address and your name as you want it to appear on the payment. I will like to ship in my car,luggage,laptop and other materials for my research ahead of my arrival. I will also like you to remove the advert from the site as i am ready to have your place rented.

Hope to read from you soon.

Eve...

Dear Paola,

I really appreciate you giving me the room as a potential roommate and the information provided, I consider the money i would have waste if i don't get a place down before my arrival to the state.

Right now, I have told my uncle about you and he agree with me and really wish to know more about you and talk to you too, so i'll appreciate if you could forward your contact number to me and he will ring you very soon,okay?

He also told me to ask if you can help me out because now he is the only one that i lookup to {my breadwinner} since i lost my parents years back, he always ensure everything is well with me. He will be sending the payment for the room to you by next week and he will include the shipping fee with your rent fee. You will pay my shipper at the point of there delivery of my stuffs to my future home, as my shipper will be helping me out with the shipping of my car, luggage, furniture and my computer that i will be bringing in for the research prior to my arrival.

My uncle want to know how trustworthy you are, so he said that if you agree,he will make sure he get the payment to you by next week,okay? I really like the kind of person you are and i'll really love making a roomie together with you and i'll really appreciate if you could also pick me up at the ariport when i arrive to the state and i'll send my flight schedule to you as soon as it is avaialble...Thanks, can't wait to see your beautiful face soon.

Hope to read from you soonest,
Kindest Regards
Eve....

Hello,
Am yet to read from you,pls confirm you got my last email befor this,pls i need you to get back at me asap,
Thanks and hope to meet with you soonest.